What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil Line from CS Prop Governor to Prop?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
There are so many possibilities, and yet the line needs to be steel, so how are you guys doing this? I'm, not sure my aluminum tube benders are up to the challenge.

This line is usually already installed from Lycoming. If not, you should be able to purchase the correct line and mounting hardware. Would be a real bear to try this one yourself.

I have also seen a hose used but personally I would opt for the Lycoming part.

My JBA engine for my last RV8 came with a Teflon flex line for my governor. It was easiest to route it over the top, and easy to inspect.

6C4CA696-14E6-4E7F-BFDD-A25F2191A096.jpg

We do both teflon hose and stainless tube that duplicates the LW75167 Lycoming tube. Mostly teflon hose---its easier and more universal than the tube. Tube works well IF the governor housing, and adapter are correct. For experimentals, since we dont know exactly whats there, a teflon hose works well.
Tom

Attachments

• LW75167 prop governor tube.jpg
    LW75167 prop governor tube.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 115
  • 75167 governor line aft view.jpg
    75167 governor line aft view.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 140
Two of our Lycomings have steel lines, two have hoses (I’m pretty sure made by Tom), and none have ever given us any trouble.

I had to remake my line as well because the supplied one wanted to rest on other accessories. It would have been faster to have a braided line made up, but it's not crazy hard to rebend the new line. I spent the money on a new bender specifically for this though. I don't think the little harbor freight 3 size bender with the short handles would make it. The one I bought is similar to this:

https://www.amazon.com/Bender-Tubing-Roller-Aluminum-Stainless/dp/B0B1MHGLBB/

Last edited:
Imperial # 364-FHA-6 Spruce # 12-20006. I have several ( 1 one which is modified:eek:) for prototype use. Mil Spec bend radius of 15/16.
YES it can bend .035 wall 3/8 stainless.

Tom

Oil line

My engine IO-360 has braided hoses on all oil and fuel lines.
A metal pipe is subjected to metal fatigue in a vibrating environment.
Stainless steel is of course better than aluminium tubing.

Good luck

Can I resurrect this (my) post to ask about the routing you guys used? I have the brown flexible line that Aero Sport included with the engine. It seemed heavy and inflexible, but I was trying to find a way to route it beneath the baffle. The earlier post with photo from Scott Hersha showing a routing of what appears to be my hose over the engine may change my whole approach.

Above or below? Why, or why not? Go.

So engine builders route tham as straight as possible to the hole in the forward baffle to the fitting. The original steel or stainless ( newer version) routes more closely to the Sump parting line. Most of the time a 32 inch hose works just fine for all versions.
Tom

Back