What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Flap Position Sensor Install

Terry Lutz

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I'm going to install a Ray Allen position sensor for my flaps, which I can display on my G3X and use for a specific performance program. I know that the position sensor has a very small travel range, so I'm looking for ideas on how to engage the sensor and flap control arm within that travel range. Any photos would be appreciated!

Here is my setup. I used the ball and socket RC pushrod connectors to make it easy to install and to remove. There was some trial and error of getting the position on the flap arm to ensure the sensor has most of the movement range. The homemade bracket around the flap arm is to provide an easy contraption to test the pushrod end location at the flap[. The slight flexibility of the bracket is to prevent the sensor from overly compressed or extended if you get the initial position wrong.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    228.2 KB · Views: 311
Here's what I did

Attachments

• LKRV8-F0738.jpg
    LKRV8-F0738.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 198
  • LKRV8-F0739.jpg
    LKRV8-F0739.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 182
  • LKRV8-F0742.jpg
    LKRV8-F0742.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 288
  • LKRV8-F0737.jpg
    LKRV8-F0737.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Flap Sensor/G3X Intergration

In regards to a wiring schematic, how do the signals from the flap sensor feed to the G3X?

I'm just starting to think about my schematic development and this is a question I've had in the back of my mind.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Laird

Flaps sensor wiring

From the G3X IM rev ap, page 498.
See attachment.

Good luck

Attachments

• flaps.pdf
    251.9 KB · Views: 274
Thanks

Perfect. That's the diagram I was looking for. Guess I just didn't look far enough in the manual. I know, RTFM...

Thanks much.

Laird

Back