What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rv race

n82rb

Well Known Member
after years of the sport plane division running at reno, there was finally a totally RV race. heat 2D on friday was contested with all aircraft being RV's.

bob burns

N82RB rv-4

RVs at Reno

Jason Rovey (SARL race 76) won two heats at 234+ mph. It appears that this makes him the fastest RV8, supplanting John Huft.:eek:

Great racing, the RV's did very well. One heat Jason was just smokin until the last lap when his nitrous bottle ran out (oops). Skylor had the fastest qualifying time in his group and just smoked leading his first heat for six or seven laps giving it up at the end. Quite a few of the races were spam cans and Tupperware mixed up. Very enjoyable week for my wife and I.

Heat 1D

Great racing, the RV's did very well. One heat Jason was just smokin until the last lap when his nitrous bottle ran out (oops). Skylor had the fastest qualifying time in his group and just smoked leading his first heat for six or seven laps giving it up at the end. Quite a few of the races were spam cans and Tupperware mixed up. Very enjoyable week for my wife and I.

Hi Greg,

Sorry I wasn't around when you came by on Saturday.

I would like to note that I had a small bird strike on lap 6 of the race which you are referring. The strike resulted in a small leading edge dent that wasn't visible from the cockpit when I glanced at the wings, but it felt like it hit the gear fairing. Since the plane continued to fly perfectly normally, I continued on but the slight distraction caused me to run a little wide on pylons 7, 8, and 9 allowing Dan "Nordo" West to make a safe inside pass on me. A lap and half later Nordo cut pylon 2 significantly (enough for me to see) thus I still won the heat. After that, I bumped up to the bronze "C" heats where I started and finished 7th every race. The bird strike damage was in the leading edge skin just outboard of the fuel tank. I pulled the fuel tank between races 1 and 2 and thanks to the generous help offered by Stan Sutterfield and his mechanic Mike, much of the ding was massaged out. It was a busy week! I don't recall any spam cans racing this week.

Skylor
"Sport 80"

Last edited:
My compliments to Jason Rovey. Getting an RV-8 into Silver is saying something. Best I can tell, he now has the fastest 4-cyl RV ever to run at Reno, and his laps were super consistent...three heats at 234.0, 233.4, 235.1, race at 235.9.

Canadian Rocket

My compliments to Jason Rovey. Getting an RV-8 into Silver is saying something. Best I can tell, he now has the fastest 4-cyl RV ever to run at Reno, and his laps were super consistent...three heats at 234.0, 233.4, 235.1, race at 235.9.

That is pretty impressive for a 4 cylinder.

Kudos to Bill Beaton and Ralph Inkster from our home field here in Alberta for getting Bill's straight wing Rocket to 276.758 mph, embarrassing some plastic aircraft in class. They were burning the midnight oil for weeks right up to the last minute to make it to the race. Bill also had a bird strike which damaged the cowling.

Skylor That's awesome how you kept your composure so well hitting that bird. In one of your later races the announcer mentioned the bird strike. When I saw your plane last night I figured you took the tank off to fix the leading edge. The spam can crack was making fun of the announcers remarks about the RVs and the composite competition. Composite aircraft folks probably don't like the "Tupperware" label either LOL. You flew very smooth and consistent and it was great to meet you and root for you. I have an iPhone video of you coming around and the announcer remarks on your speed. We were high in the stands right at the finish pylon so I think you will enjoy it. I will look up your member email and send it to you. Rookie no more, that's for sure.

Thanks

Thanks Dan. I have never met you but there are some things on my 8 that materialized from your comments on VAF.

The most Nitrous I used on any race was 6.3 lbs of my 10 lb bottle. I was getting hot and running lean. I need more water injection and work on fuel servo metering jet settings for more fuel at full rich.

Race 391 is now Race 76.

Jason,

Great runs and great showing.

Dan is the man.
He will probably have your solutions by the morning.

When are you going to paint that thing
John Deere Green????.

Boomer

When are you going to paint that thing
John Deere Green????.
Boomer

Hi Boomer,

Right now I am planning to leave it in primer. I can change or tweak any part of the airplane and not have to spend time and money on paint. I did the pretty airplane route and am done with that. If you were at Reno sorry I missed you.

Jason and the RV gang did a really superb job at the races this year. We talked about Jason's speed compared to John Huft's (the host of my first SARL race…where the addiction set in for many of us). To be compared to John is a true compliment, and one Jason has earned! Dave Anders is probably next on his targeting computer…and is still the king of 4-banger RV speed, AFAIK. But Jason's hard work on his plane has, and will, pay off…expect more great things from him! Along with Jason, Stan Sutterfield, Skylor Piper (who has already posted here), Jim Wilson, Stephen Christopher, Tim Cone, Dan West, George Ford, Ben Fouts, Matt Beaubien, Charlie Greer, Seth Baker and Scott Prewitt all provided a ton of racing excitement to the record crowds! Rocketeers Bill Beaton, Shane Margraves and Chris Schaich did more of the same. Bill has done amazing things with his HRII; "The Alien" ('cause Rockets can't do what his does) and "Rattle-Can Rovey" have definitely set the bar! Expect the rest of us to give good chase next year!!

Something that should make the VAF family very proud: On Saturday of race week, the AirBoss, the Contest Committee, the Pylon Judges, and RARA leadership all said that the morning start of the Medallion Heat was the finest start of any race that any of them had EVER seen at Reno! Huge compliment…and they were all RVs…just sayin'! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Last edited:
Hey buddy, what kind of RV is this????

12033149_10207444973941069_4735307617060664347_n.jpg

Last edited:
thats the RV-39. it is only available as a pre-punched kit from the czech republic.:D

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Back