What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

minimum ED issue while installing the SB 14-01-31

Mohammed

Patron
I don't recall there being a hole near the relief notches as you have done. Did you add extra holes for some reason? They look like they're right on the bend line. If those holes are supposed to be there I certainly don't have them...

Last edited:
Holes too near notch

I marked all of the holes locations before drilling and found that the two holes adjacent to the notches had insufficient edge distance. I called Van's, and they advised not to drill and rivet these locations. I would suggest that you call Van's, also, as they have seen everything that can go wrong with the SB. I would suspect that they will say "Build on" as the reinforcement plates relieves the stress on the original spar.:rolleyes:

You are partially right.. Those holes shouldn't be here in the first place .. they are not extra, they are actually match drilled from the doublers into the spar web. They are somehow displaced because I pushed the doublers out board a little to give a leeway to the VS spar.

You are partially right.. Those holes shouldn't be here in the first place .. they are not extra, they are actually match drilled from the doublers into the spar web. They are somehow displaced because I pushed the doublers out board a little to give a leeway to the VS spar.

If you push the doublers outboard then I don't believe the bends in the doubler/spar will align properly. I suggest starting anew with the doublers in the correct spot per Vans. I (and many others) haven't had any issues doing it per the SB.

Build on!

I am pleased for you that Van's told you to "build on!" It is wonderful to have the resources of both Van's Aircraft and Van's Airforce.:D

Back