What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

8A vs 7A

330Jock

Well Known Member
8A plans arrived last week. Tried to post a question about room in a 8A, but think I did something wrong. Can't find my post. Is there a way to search for your previous posts? Anyway, my question was I am 6'3" tall 215lbs and wide shoulders. will I be happier in an 8A and just stop thinking about a 7A?

Search feature

snipped Is there a way to search for your previous posts?snipped

Yes, the forums have a SEARCH feature. FYI, you must be "signed in" to use this feature or to use Private Messaging. Be advised that if you sign in to the site, you will be automatically "signed out" if you do not change web pages on the site after a specific amount of time [it's around 5 or 10 minutes] If you get "signed out" due to inactivity, simply sign back in to use any of these [and more] features.
To find your posts, sign in, click on the SEARCH link on the blue bar near the top of each page. On the new page which opens, In the box marked USER NAME, simply type in your user name [or anyone else's for that matter] to see all your posts. You can sort the posts by date and time. You can also filter the search, by limiting it to searching in a specifc forum.
You should really click on the FAQ [frequently asked questions] link. It is also found on the blue bar near the top of each page in the forums. Read the FAQs so that you understand how to use this site.
Charlie

I'm 6'2" 225 lbs with wide shoulders as well and my RV4 is plenty wide so I don't think you'll have any problems at all in an 8. :D

The answer.

8A plans arrived last week. Tried to post a question about room in a 8A, but think I did something wrong. Can't find my post. Is there a way to search for your previous posts? Anyway, my question was I am 6'3" tall 215lbs and wide shoulders. will I be happier in an 8A and just stop thinking about a 7A?

If you have a significant other, they may not want to ride in the back....like my wife. She may well have your answer!:)

Best,

If you have a significant other, they may not want to ride in the back....like my wife. She may well have your answer!:)

Best,

I would add to that if you have a friend or friends who are pilots, that you will frequently be flying with, then side by side might be the way to go. I've noticed that the pilot friends who have flown in the back of my 4 say they feel a bit like they're on the back seat of a motorcycle. That's why it is now unofficially nicknamed the Sky Harley ;)

Yep

I have a good friend who owned a beautiful F-1 Rocket....for a few months!

When I asked him where his Rocket was, he said, "Heck, I couldn't get anybody, including my wife, to fly with me, so I sold it!"...true story.

Best,

I am 6'4" and 230lbs and my -8 is extremely comfortable, in fact that is the reason we built an -8. I trained in a -7 with a guy who is 6' and 230lbs. and it was tight, but not uncomfortable. The -7 is more practical in the sense of baggage and person to person interaction in the cockpit. Both aircraft fly virtually the same, so I think the question becomes how often will you fly alone and if not, will your significant other fly behind you. Personally, I have never had someone who wanted to fly turn down a ride in the back of my -8. Hope that helps or maybe I should be a politician! Either way you end up with a great ride and you will find very creative ways to leave work and go fly your RV!!

Good Luck

I am 6'4" and 230lbs and my -8 is extremely comfortable, in fact that is the reason we built an -8. I trained in a -7 with a guy who is 6' and 230lbs. and it was tight, but not uncomfortable. The -7 is more practical in the sense of baggage and person to person interaction in the cockpit. Both aircraft fly virtually the same, so I think the question becomes how often will you fly alone and if not, will your significant other fly behind you. Personally, I have never had someone who wanted to fly turn down a ride in the back of my -8. Hope that helps or maybe I should be a politician! Either way you end up with a great ride and you will find very creative ways to leave work and go fly your RV!!

Good Luck

That is one part that I forgot to mention as well. While I really enjoy flying a 6, I absolutely love flying the 4. It just feels more natural to me and you can't beat the visibility of the centerline seating. I've also found that I spend 90% of my time flying solo anyway so I've never really thought about getting a 6 or 7.

Thanks for the info guys! It is a big help, I think I'm just about convinced to go with the 8A. I will be flying 90% of the time by myself, and the extra shoulder room will be nice. How bout the headroom? Any difference?
Bill

Can't speak for the 8, but here's me in the 4..... 6'2" with plenty of room to spare. It gets a bit tighter with my 'chute on but even inverted I've got good clearance :D

154il39.jpg
[/IMG]

Head room is much better in the -8. Again, I am 6'4" and have plenty of room between my headset and the canopy. In my buddies -7 my headset tapped on the canopy at certain times.

Back