What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuel Vent Lines

I have the Grove landing gear on my -8 and used the fuel vent exit holes for the brake lines. Wondered if anyone out there with a Grove geared -8 has done the same thing and where they went with the fuel vents? I came up with a solution, but the vents would be shadowed by the upper gear leg intersection fairing and have been told that is not good. Any input would be much appreciated. Pics would be great if you have them. Thanks, OX

I have the Grove as well, but used the std locations. If you do a search you will find a thread about the "rocket" coiled vent line, that may be a good solution for you.

I have the Grove landing gear on my -8 and used the fuel vent exit holes for the brake lines. Wondered if anyone out there with a Grove geared -8 has done the same thing and where they went with the fuel vents? I came up with a solution, but the vents would be shadowed by the upper gear leg intersection fairing and have been told that is not good. Any input would be much appreciated. Pics would be great if you have them. Thanks, OX

I hope these help:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=1062
http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img0048fz0.jpg

Wade,
Thanks for the reply. I received some pics of the "Rocket" vents from another reply. I have heard mixed reveiws on this type of vent and would ask you if you have flown with these vents or know anyone who has? What I have heard is there is a lack of volume in this type of system???? Thanks again.

Brett,
Thanks for the pics. Makes a very clean and easy installation, but I have heard mixed reveiws of the "Rocket" vents. Have you flown with them or do you know anyone who has? I've been told that there is a lack of volume (???) in this type of system. Thanks again.

Paul

I have not used it. Seems attractive and I have been considering it, mainly because I would prefer not to have fuel vapor running thru the cockpit, if I could help it. Will have to make the call in a month or two.

Can't remember exactly who told me about it (when I was building at GTU a few years ago), I think it may have been Mark Fredericks, but they were happy with it.

Good Luck,

Brett,
Thanks for the pics. Makes a very clean and easy installation, but I have heard mixed reveiws of the "Rocket" vents. Have you flown with them or do you know anyone who has? I've been told that there is a lack of volume (???) in this type of system. Thanks again.

Yep, for over two years now. There are pros and cons to this approach. Pro, simple and easy and no venting fuel lines in the cockpit. Con, it will burp a little fuel on a hot day with full tanks. Not much, but maybe 3-4 oz. Your choice.

Randy,
Thanks for the hands on reveiw. I see your point and guess that either way I choose, I can aways install either system down the road if the one I choose doesn't work. I am leaning towards the "Rocket" vents for the ease of install and the vent lines being outside the cockpit. Guess I'll have to sleep on it for a night or two! Thanks again.

I've only put 21 hours on my RV-7 with Rocket type coiled vents. I've fueled about 6 times now in very warm ramp temperatures around 100 degrees. I only fill up to about 1/2" of the fuel neck and haven't had any fuel coming out the vents. I also have a very small hole drilled in the high point of the last loop before the vent exit to act as a backup relief in the event of blockage.

I've fueled about 6 times now in very warm ramp temperatures around 100 degrees.

Try fueling at low temperature and look what happens when temps gets up. Ok, just don't fill as full as you can and you should be on safe side. How much the fuel will expand when temperature rises could be calculated fairly easy...

... but the vents would be shadowed by the upper gear leg intersection fairing and have been told that is not good. Any input would be much appreciated... Thanks, OX

I don't really see a problem with putting the vent behind the intersection fairing. It's for venting the tank (replacing gas with air), not pressurizing it. I think that as long as there's not a suction on the vent, it should be ok.

I seem to remember that Cessna's have the vent right behind the wing strut fairing. I could be wrong, its been a really long time since I've been around a Cessna. :D

Karl

Back