What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tracing the builder

rcsilvmac

Well Known Member
I am helping a friend prepare an RV-12 for sale. The owner has passed away so I have very limited history on the plane. The builder is listed as "Vans Aircraft" on the registration. Does that mean the plane was built by the Vans Factory?

I have ordered the FAA records and also looked around the Vans site, but any advice on how I can determine the builder would be helpful.

Thanks

You can look up the "N" number on the FAA registration website. Look down at classification.

If Classification is "Experimental" it was built from a kit buy an individual.

If Classification is "Light-Sport" it was built by Vans Aircraft as a Special Light-Sport aircraft.

Thanks

The plane is an ELSA. I now have some paperwork and it looks like the builder ordered kits on different days. He was based out of Friday Harbor, WA. I don't want to mention names, but if you know who you are I would love to talk to you about fantastic plane (N112XP). The manufacturer is listed as Vans Aircraft though, that is what I found odd.

I will email Vans to inquire.

Thanks for the pointers!

Chris

Last edited:
Not a Vans build

To close this thread - i did get a reply from Vans that the plane was not a Vans build, but was just registered as "Vans Aircraft" manufacturer.

Thanks for pointers everyone!

To close this thread - i did get a reply from Vans that the plane was not a Vans build, but was just registered as "Vans Aircraft" manufacturer.
Thanks for pointers everyone!

This is "standard procedure" for kit built Light-Sport Aircraft (E-LSA). The kit manufacturer is listed as "builder" per FAA regulations. That regulation is based on the fact that the aircraft was built EXACTLY per plans and instructions and with all parts supplied by the kit manufacturer.

This fact must be proven to the inspector at the time of airworthiness certification.

Back