What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wire pass over main spar bulkhead

rv6builder

Well Known Member
Hi folks, I need some ideas for a tidy way of passing a wiring harness over the main spar bulkhead on my RV6 project. I'd prefer not to simply run the conduit over top of the bulkhead, through would be best, but not sure if thats possible. Any thoughts or pictures of your install?

PFaTUL

Thanks!
Alex

I have wires running over the spar carry-through on both sides of my -6.
One side runs through aluminum tubing and the other side I have expandable nylon wire sleeving. Neither is visible when the seat cushions are in place.

Scott, I think the OP is building a -6 and your link covers later models.

Isn't there a Vans picture that call for a central location for wires through the main spar bulkhead in the -6 models?

This is my pass through using the manual trim cable hole -

spar-2.jpg

With the spar edges protected from cutting the bundle -

spar-1.jpg

I have since added a mirror image hole in the other spar with a smaller bushing for the two comm antenna cables.

With the holes shown, and the central hole, seen in my picture but not used, you should be able to get all of your wires through the spar rather than over the top of the bulkhead. IIRC the central hole isn't shown on the plans but came pre cut on my spar web and bulkhead.

On a 6 it is acceptable to mimic the manual trim cable hole on the opposite side spar and related portion of the center section.

Great pics Gil. Where did you get the locations to cut? Is there a reference source from Vans?

The hole location is shown on Sheet 15 of the plans. I just made the spar slot to fit.

I can't recall where the slot is called out, it isn't shown on the plans.

As I mentioned earlier I recall there is a Vans document floating around (RVator maybe) talking about this, and even mentioning an extra hole exactly in the center of the bulkhead, but above the upper spar cap - not applicable to later models, of course...:)

Last edited:
Drawing

Just found this in my files. Not sure about the source but it does look like a factory edit of Sheet 15 -

c-s-holes_zpshxa2asl3.jpg

Moderators

MODERATORS

Can you please move this thread to the RV-6 area since all of the discussion is simply not applicable to the later models?

It will archive better over there...:)

On a 6 it is acceptable to mimic the manual trim cable hole on the opposite side spar and related portion of the center section.

I did the same thing. All of my wires and tubing for the ADAHRS went through thus opening. There are a few pictures in my Kitlog files.

6a spar pass through

Looks like Gil made a larger slot type hole where the spars butt together but I can?t see the photos.

RV-6 drawing OP-12

shows an optional second 5/8 inch hole (and slot) through the spar for additional wiring if required, mirroring the existing trim cable hole.

Also, quite a bit of wiring can be run under the canopy rails on each side, adding to both what can be run, and allowing separation of wires you might not wish to run in close proximity to other wires or antenna coax. Running the wires from under the canopy rail and then down behind the cover plates in the baggage compartment makes a neat run.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A

shows an optional second 5/8 inch hole (and slot) through the spar for additional wiring if required, mirroring the existing trim cable hole.

Also, quite a bit of wiring can be run under the canopy rails on each side, adding to both what can be run, and allowing separation of wires you might not wish to run in close proximity to other wires or antenna coax. Running the wires from under the canopy rail and then down behind the cover plates in the baggage compartment makes a neat run.
Bill Brooks
Ottawa Canada
RV-6A

Thanks, my old CD did not go that high on the OP numbers...:)

Perhaps you could post a picture of that section?

Back