What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Filed NASA report

gear1

Well Known Member
We departed OSH IFR from Runway 27 on Wednesday 22 July. We were cleared to 3000' and directed to contact Milwaukee Departure. Just as we were passed to Milwaukee departure and passing 1800' guess what! Two aircraft at the same altitude, one a piper dead ahead, and a second slightly to our right on the FISK arrival. A brisk turn to the left maintained our separation at about 300 from the second aircraft, a single engine Piper. Neither aircraft appeared to see or take note of us. (Note: no flames please - I understand that IFR aircraft in VMC are responsible for visual separation, which we accomplished.) The purpose of this post is to point out the possible conflict between VFR aircraft under positive control of the FISK arrival controllers with IFR aircraft under positive control of OSH Tower/Milwaukee Departure. The FISK and Milwaukee Departure controllers are not talking to each other. A NASA report has been filed recommending that IFR aircraft maintain 1300' until clear of the FISK arrival. :eek:

Just wondering, and not that it would make any difference, were you in a corporate jet or the RV8? I do note that you are a retired corporate pilot, but I was just wondering about the size and speed of your aircraft. Good on you for filing the NASA report.

Last edited:
That's a tough one. No comments in the Notam about IFR departures from 27 needing to avoid the arrivals but if you look at the VFR departures it states to stay clear of the arrivals and stay 1300' until clear of the Delta. No comments from ATC on departure but they are going to want and get you to altitude quick for terrain clearance.

I departed 36, turned to a 150 heading before the blue dote, and maintained below 1,300. I was shocked at how many planes were coming into OSH on the same general heading that I was leaving. The warbird arrival path is about the same as the VFR departure path with 500' separation. On a positive note, I got to see 5 mustangs in formation up close.

good read

NASA safety reporting is a fairly strong protective tool for us. It is somewhat misunderstood at times though. Latest AOPA article by Yodice (counsel for us indirectly) goes over how "inadvertant" may be defined in an NTSB hearing.
It is worth reading, if you get a chance.

I don't understand why they'd clear you to 3000 right in the middle of the arrivals at 1800. And most of them have their transponders off so do they even show up on radar?

Back