to donate fast.

VAF on Twitter:
@VansAirForceNet

Old 08-25-2014, 11:19 AM

Thanks Matt: problem solved
Old 07-02-2015, 09:36 AM

Default Transponder control

Hi guys,
My panel has evolved over the years. Started with a single gdu370 when they were first introduced. Now have a second gdu370, gtn650, gx pro, and a gtn327.

I have no plans to replace the g3x classic displays with touch but want to add a gtx23es transponder. The programming interface for the 23es in the gdu370 is clumsey and takes up too much screen space for an ifr installation; so naturally I would like to control it with the gtn650. Alas, we aren't allowed to control the uncertified transponder with the certified gtn650 even though it has two g3x displays.

Any hope of allowing the GTN650 to program a GTX-23ES IN A GDU370 system?

Second question, can we get GTN650 software updated at Oshkosh?
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21
Old 07-02-2015, 09:40 AM

Hello Steve,

With the equipment in your panel, you have the option of installing a GTX 33ES, which would be controlled through your GTN 650 instead of your G3X system.

We would someday like to be able to offer GTN software updates to experimental owners at Oshkosh. However, there are complications related to the TSO'd nature of that product, so I don't believe that we will be able to provide this service just yet.

- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:02 AM

Steve,
I have the dual GDU370's, remote GTX23ES and fly quite a bit IFR. I can't imagine the GTN being more convenient. The remote inputs also take up very little screen space. Are you sue you are seeing the correct lay-out?
Catto three blade prop
http://www.mykitlog.com/MarkW
Old 07-02-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkW View Post
Steve,
I have the dual GDU370's, remote GTX23ES and fly quite a bit IFR. I can't imagine the GTN being more convenient. The remote inputs also take up very little screen space. Are you sue you are seeing the correct lay-out?
l'll configure mine to program my gtx 327 to see how the interface works. Glad to hear it is working well for others.
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier?
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, 2 screen Garmin G3X Classic, GTN 650, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009
EAA Chapter 21
Old 10-30-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longez View Post
Matt talked about the press-and-hold function of the G3X CLR button to quickly get you to the default page. The ENT button has a press-and-hold function called MARK.

When you press-and-hold the ENT key, a popup window allows you to quickly define a user waypoint to MARK your present position. So, for example, if your flying buddy just dead-stick'd his plane into a cow pasture beneath you, you can use this single key to quickly define a user waypoint to MARK the location.

But wait - there is more! Each time you press-and-hold the ENT key, G3X automatically places a "1" in the Event marker column in the current flight data log entry stored each second to the SD card. So, whether you want to go back and see the lat/lon stored when you pressed the MARK button or just look at the stored engine data when you MARK'd the time when your engine ran rough, the MARK function is very useful. If you are just using it to MARK the flight data log entry, just cancel the pop-up window which offers to create the user waypoint.
This is incredibly useful but the feature seems to be absent from my G3X Touch. Does anybody have another trick to create a user waypoint and/or mark the log file? It would be terrible if the only way was through heads-down scrolling through menus.
Old 10-30-2015, 05:17 PM

Default Control stick switches

I would like some suggestions on how others have set up the switches . I have a RV12 with dual G3X,s and autopilot w/305 controller. One being the radio press to talk. The other a 4 way switch.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:27 PM

I'm just finishing my Garmin panel. The G3x touch gets the GPS information from my GTN625. I'm curious what folks are doing with respect to the built-in GPS of the G3x? If you're hooking up a BNC GPS antenna like the portable GPS units use, where are you placing it? It seems a waste no to use it but I hate to have a GPS antenna puck just lying on the dash.
Roseville, Ca
Old 02-08-2017, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaweeka View Post
I'm just finishing my Garmin panel. The G3x touch gets the GPS information from my GTN625. I'm curious what folks are doing with respect to the built-in GPS of the G3x? If you're hooking up a BNC GPS antenna like the portable GPS units use, where are you placing it? It seems a waste no to use it but I hate to have a GPS antenna puck just lying on the dash.
Hello kaweeka,

As you know from the G3X installation manual, in a system without a GPS 20A installed, the GPS receiver on at least one of your GDU displays must be connected to its own GPS antenna:

Quote:
Unless a GPS 20A is used for GPS position, a minimum of one GPS antenna is required for installations using more than one GDU 46X unit, as the GDU 46X will ?share? the GPS information with all GDU 46X units. Additional GPS antennas may be used for redundancy, but are not required.
Your G3X system will display navigation data from your GTN 625. However, the GTN does not output all the GPS data required by the G3X system, so the G3X system requires its own GPS antenna, connected to either a GDU display or a GPS 20A receiver.

Many customers choose the inexpensive GA 26C antenna, which can be mounted inside the cockpit as long as it has a clear view of the sky. Others choose an externally-mounted antenna such as the GA 56. The complete list of supported GPS antennas can be found in section 20.2 of the current installation manual.

- Matt
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM

Hi all and specially g3xpert,

First question: I would like to know if there is a possibility to wire a unused switch on my stick to switch the pages, for example from the PFD to the engine page. I have not found a hint in the manual.

Second Question: I am a bit confused about wiring up my fuel gauges. I have the standard vans floating sensors and wanted to know if I can wire them directly as described in Figure 27-2.1 on page 27-2 (Rev W)?

Third question: I have installed a 7" G3X Touch for the rear seat in my RV-8. I wired it u as PFD #2. This should allow the person in the back to change frequencies as well as using the autopilot and XPDR. The rear stick is equipped with a trim-hat, AP-disengage and PTT button. In the rear panel I have also a flap switch. To be able to disengage the rear inputs I have installed switch in the front to disable all those functions (a switch in the GND line from the stick and flap switch towards my forest of grounds). Now it would be great if I could use a discrete input on the GAD-27 or GEA-24 to disable the inputs for the rear seat (just disengage the inputs of the buttons and touch surface). Would that be possible or am I the only one who would like this function?

Thanks,

Yves
RV-8 #83458 HB-YUA
Donation 2020 done