What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airport Weather Station

Vlad

Well Known Member
I will be based at an airport without weather reporting station. It is in rural area (Intermountain Utah 33U) and aviation weather is very unique. I am wondering if there is a portable weather station on the market I can buy and install in the immediate vicinity? I understand there maybe some sort of FCC permit required. Did anybody install similar at your private strip or knows the process? Would appreciate any intel or reference.

I used to have a Ambient Weather WS-2902 and it was pretty good and simple to use. I don?t have it anymore because the state is going to install a super system that measures a ton of things here so I?ll be able to get way more info than we?ll ever need.

Thanks Carlos. WS-2902 doesn?t transmit. I would like to receive basic wx report while airborne.

The AWOS Alternative for Your Airport

Saw SayWeather at OSH. Kinda pricey but it is a scaled down AWOS but no cloud height. From what I remember, it was around $4,000. They say the mind is the 2nd thing to go and I cannot remember the first.

If all you want is your local weather on the internet, a PWS is all you need to connect to your home ISP and get the weather on the internet. Study up on which manufacturer is best for you. When I researched, I did not find much difference in reliability between the cheap and expensive units. I went with a cheap unit using a remote battery. Pressure is not accurate but rainfall and wind speed are. My personal weather station data can be read online at Wunderground.com. The biggest problem I have with weather station operation is lightning in the vicinity drops the wireless signal and requires that I cycle power to restore operation. Cycle power means remove and reinstall batteries.

As previously noted, the challenge will not be with the weather instruments but rather with the radio transmissions. I'm not fluent on FCC/FAA license requirements for automated radio transmission.

If you could avoid transmission power that is regulated and avoid radio bands which are licensed, then you have some flexibility.

Alternative: what is cellular data coverage like in the area? It could be possible to interface the weather instruments to a webpage (assuming internet connectivity at the airport).

As previously noted, the challenge will not be with the weather instruments but rather with the radio transmissions. I'm not fluent on FCC/FAA license requirements for automated radio transmission.

^^^ THIS ^^^

I can tell you that getting an FCC license for any commercial (this is considered commercial) transmitter is not a simple task. It isn't impossible, but not something you can do in a few minutes. My recommendation is to contact the FCC office for your area and see how hard/easy they will make it for you.

After that, actually setting it up only depends on how much $$$ you want to spend.

:cool:

options

Vlad,
I would second the idea of Weather Underground. Like the ADS-B hobbyists... there are thousands of home weather stations that are linked to their web site. Rather than the bother of radio transmissions, I would first search for a hobbyist that might be situated near that airport.
Then, figure a way to receive internet via cellular while flying. I notice from your photos over the years that you have no hesitation to fly low.
So, maybe cellular internet (even a booster on the plane??? 12volt powered) would get you access to the web site. You then have the airport marked as a favorite. Cellular modems are common on air medical helicopters... as they use cell connections for tracking much of the time. When out of range, they switch to iridium. A common box is the Flightcell from New Zealand. It is pricey though. I would cobble something together for data receive only.
The low power, non licensed radio bands set aside for hobby by FCC are pretty range limited as well. When you get past amateur band stuff.... it would be unrealistic to ask the FCC to approve a local anemometer on an airfield.
Some of the automated ASOS machines are affordable if the entire user base at the field get together for a purchase. Those stations co-share the unicom frequency and are activated by clicking the mic. They are smart enough to listen first, to prevent stepping on other transmissions. The FCC and FAA commonly approve those.
Anyway, you could always move to my town... where the weather is always nice... and just fly anytime you want! Cheers.

FCC License

Vald:

I was not thinking about you getting another FCC license. You could connect a 2-meter ham radio in your EXPERIMENTAL airplane and pickup APRS CWOP Weather. A handheld 2-meter ham radio may even work in your airplane. Your ham license should also allow you to setup a Wx Station connected to APRS Weather Station to get the data out.

This would help you as a HAM Radio aviator but other aviators that are not hams would miss out on this.

APRS.fi shows a Wx station in Vernal, UT and many around Salt Lake City.

Vald:

I was not thinking about you getting another FCC license. You could connect a 2-meter ham radio in your EXPERIMENTAL airplane and pickup APRS CWOP Weather. A handheld 2-meter ham radio may even work in your airplane. Your ham license should also allow you to setup a Wx Station connected to APRS Weather Station to get the data out.

This would help you as a HAM Radio aviator but other aviators that are not hams would miss out on this.

APRS.fi shows a Wx station in Vernal, UT and many around Salt Lake City.

If that works then other a pilots wouldn?t need to be ham operators because they?ll only be listening and could do that with any receiver.

Thanks Carlos. WS-2902 doesn’t transmit. I would like to receive basic wx report while airborne.

It doesn’t transmit on any aviation band but it’ll transmit to the internet and you can see the info on your phone or iPad while in the air all over the world (don’t have to wait until you’re close to the airport like AWOS or ASOS) and everything at less than $200. I don’t think there’s anything cheaper than that.

https://www.ambientweather.com/amws2902.htm

The only problem is if the airport doesn’t have internet available then that would increase the cost a little bit. Lots of options then like talking a neighbor with internet into letting you install it at their house.

It all depends on how much you want to spend. As Galin said getting an FCC license is uphill expensive and very time consuming. I got a Unicom license for my private airport and they told me not possible THREE TIMES but I kept insisting with facts and after many calls and over a year of back and forth with many returned and resubmitted applications I finally got 123.0 licensed. And all of that with me being the airport property owner, if not it would have been impossible with the permissions they ask you for. I guess that’s why so many private airports just grab a handheld and transmit (not legal by the way).

Last edited:
Thank you guys much appreciated! Let me dig into it a bit. I have flown to and from this airport couple times and I found it not challenging. For me at least. There is a good cell coverage, towers are all on mountaintops . I am thinking of my buddies visiting in the summertime. Or any transients in need.

Edit: how a municipal airport gets a wx station? What criteria should it meet?

Edit: how a municipal airport gets a wx station? What criteria should it meet?

Doesn't matter if they meet any FAA criteria, first step I would do is ask the owners (municipality) if they want to spend the money to purchase, license and maintain it. If not then you're better off doing the previous things on your own.

I can tell you that getting an FCC license for any commercial (this is considered commercial) transmitter is not a simple task.
I think that depends. If you own the airport, or are hired by the airport to provide weather reporting, or get paid or compensated in any way for doing it, then yes -- definitely commercial. If Joe Pilot wants to hang a weather station at the airport it for his own, unpaid, non-commercial use, then I think it would fall squarely into amateur territory, and thus would be a good candidate for APRS.

And yes, due to the nature of radio signals, anyone with a suitable receiver could monitor it... plus it would likely appear on line as well. There's certainly no law against non-hams receiving (or benefiting from) ham radio traffic.

I think that depends. If you own the airport, or are hired by the airport to provide weather reporting, or get paid or compensated in any way for doing it, then yes -- definitely commercial. If Joe Pilot wants to hang a weather station at the airport it for his own, unpaid, non-commercial use, then I think it would fall squarely into amateur territory, and thus would be a good candidate for APRS.

And yes, due to the nature of radio signals, anyone with a suitable receiver could monitor it... plus it would likely appear on line as well. There's certainly no law against non-hams receiving (or benefiting from) ham radio traffic.

Commercial in this sense isn?t if you?re getting paid to do it, I think he means the frequencies used. Doesn?t matter if you own your airport or any operation like the ones you mentioned, if you?re going to use FCC regulated frequencies (like an ASOS or AWOS or a UNICOM or MULTICOM) then you need a FCC license and that is hard to get.

If you are working with an organization (municipality or other government) that has access to grants or other $$ you might consider something like one of the AWOS systems.

We have been using a SuperAWOS for several years (https://potomac-aviation.com/). I believe that there are several other companies that sell AWOS systems. Installation and commissioning appears to be pretty straightforward and dose not require much more than a hole in the ground.

Expensive? probably. However a government entity might have access to grant funding to cover an installation of one of these systems.

-larosta

If you are working with an organization (municipality or other government) that has access to grants or other $$ you might consider something like one of the AWOS systems.

We have been using a SuperAWOS for several years (https://potomac-aviation.com/). I believe that there are several other companies that sell AWOS systems. Installation and commissioning appears to be pretty straightforward and dose not require much more than a hole in the ground.

Expensive? probably. However a government entity might have access to grant funding to cover an installation of one of these systems.

-larosta

I love the video where it only takes 15 minutes to open the box and install it. They forgot to add the 15 MONTHS before or after to get the FCC license to turn on the switch (unless it?s outside of the USA like it shows in many pictures).

Wait....the heck with the weather station! Vlad, are you finally seeing the light and leaving the east coast to live in the scenic lands?!?!

Dutch John , UT! Wow, that witness protection program is getting pretty Flaming Gorge serious.

-larosta

Commercial in this sense isn?t if you?re getting paid to do it, I think he means the frequencies used. Doesn?t matter if you own your airport or any operation like the ones you mentioned, if you?re going to use FCC regulated frequencies (like an ASOS or AWOS or a UNICOM or MULTICOM) then you need a FCC license and that is hard to get.
Probably (I would assume) correct, if you plan to broadcast weather on an aviation frequency. I'm sure the FCC *and* FAA would pour their own special blend of regulatory molasses over the process.

What he asked for was weather while airborne. APRS can do that, without any commercial licensing, given the proper equipment which is neither expensive nor overly complex. It won't broadcast weather in voice format on aviation frequencies like AWOS, though, as you know.

Probably (I would assume) correct, if you plan to broadcast weather on an aviation frequency. I'm sure the FCC *and* FAA would pour their own special blend of regulatory molasses over the process.

What he asked for was weather while airborne. APRS can do that, without any commercial licensing, given the proper equipment which is neither expensive nor overly complex. It won't broadcast weather in voice format on aviation frequencies like AWOS, though, as you know.

1- How is he supposed to get the info in the air without having to buy an additional radio just for that?

2- He has to get an amateur radio license or get someone who has one.

1- How is he supposed to get the info in the air without having to buy an additional radio just for that?

2- He has to get an amateur radio license or get someone who has one.
1.) Obviously a radio and an APRS modem would be required. Not terribly expensive; a well used 2 meter handheld would be sufficient. They're cheap. Some are dirt cheap. Add a homebrew antenna and you're good to go.

2.) Again, yes, obviously. If only Vlad had a ham license. Oh - wait!! He does.

1.) Obviously a radio and an APRS modem would be required. Not terribly expensive; a well used 2 meter handheld would be sufficient. They're cheap. Some are dirt cheap. Add a homebrew antenna and you're good to go.

2.) Again, yes, obviously. If only Vlad had a ham license. Oh - wait!! He does.

Exactly. Another radio in the plane. Why would you want to add another radio when you already have everything you need in the aircraft for all the other options? That's all I was saying.

Exactly. Another radio in the plane. Why would you want to add another radio when you already have everything you need in the aircraft for all the other options? That's all I was saying.

Because getting AWOS at the airport of interest is a huge pain in the empennage, and the airplane already has APRS equipment? I dunno, just spitaballing. I never claimed that it was a perfect solution. I just offered a potential solution, rather than a roadblock.

Because getting AWOS at the airport of interest is a huge pain in the empennage, and the airplane already has APRS equipment? I dunno, just spitaballing. I never claimed that it was a perfect solution. I just offered a potential solution, rather than a roadblock.

I thought his plane only had transmitting APRS equipment, didn't know he had it receiving and could display it in there too.

If cell service is decent, an SMS-based system may work well. You would just need a weather station and something like an Arduino with a cell module and SIM card. You send a text message to the weather station, and it responds back with the current weather. SMS messages tend to be easier to send an receive reliably, especially from down low.

If one doesn't exist already, I think this would be fairly simple to DIY.

Chris

Do these help at all?

Maybe a ham group nearby?

http://www.flaminggorgewebcams.com/

The Windy App has a webcam 15 miles away linked. Meteograms are pretty easy to learn, but live weather AWOS/ASOS can surely help.

An APRS pressure sensor is $60 on the big auction site:

The module is the second generation of high-precision meteorological measurement module to support the professional measurement mode to support the secondary development and application support APRS data.

Support to measure wind direction, wind speed, rainfall, temperature, humidity, air pressure

Support output APRS data format (English)

Rainwise MK-III

It sounds like there are many good ideas being thrown around, but I'll chime in with an easy solution that I use and am happy with. I set up a Rainwise MK-III weather station on top of my hangar (it runs on solar). It connects to a small radio box inside the hangar (Rainwise ip-100), which uploads the data through a cell hotspot (which shares data with my cell plan and costs $10 a month for the extra line). The data is displayed on a dedicated web page for just this unit. I just saved the web page on my cell phone home screen, and its just one click anywhere there is cell service, and I get my local winds and precip.

Here is my page (the radio unit is currently offline due to some hangar rearranging going on, but you get the idea):

https://www.rainwise.net/weather/SkyRanch

Here is an example of the same unit at the Rainwise factory which is up and online:

https://www.rainwise.net/weather/rainwise

Works very well.

-Dan

Our airpark has a Davis weather station that is connected to the internet. They have a good app so you can see the weather on your phone or tablet. Obviously you need an internet connection to view the weather so you may not always be able to get it in the plane, but it is very useful to get weather before you take off and I use ours a lot to check the weather, particularly the recent rainfall amount, before I return from out of town trips so I can see if our grass runway will be soggy when I get back. Check out the app and you very well might find out that there is already somebody else with a station close enough that you don't even need to install one yourself.

This solution obviously does not transmit direct to the plane by radio, but being able to check your home weather and rainfall amount from 200 miles away is great. Really, when you get closer your are more concerned about current winds and you can get that information visually from the wind sock.

So many fun ways to roll your own weather station. I like the web base idea. Any pvt airport can have Pilot controlled lighting. I wounder if 122.7, 122.8, 122.725, 122.975, or 123.0 can be used for Pilot controlled short weather announcement (less than 15 seconds) without FCC and FAA approval. It would be equivalent to asking some one on the ground (FBO, airport operator) to give you weather. I suppose if low powered and does not interfere. To get weather you (key x times) on CTAF.

So many fun ways to roll your own weather station. I like the web base idea. Any pvt airport can have Pilot controlled lighting. I wounder if 122.7, 122.8, 122.725, 122.975, or 123.0 can be used for Pilot controlled short weather announcement (less than 15 seconds) without FCC and FAA approval. It would be equivalent to asking some one on the ground (FBO, airport operator) to give you weather. I suppose if low powered and does not interfere. To get weather you (key x times) on CTAF.

You need an FCC license to transmit on a Unicom frequency. I had to get one for 123.0 at my airport and they didn't want to give it to me, it's not that simple, if you want to operate legally I mean.

Weather Station

About four years ago I discovered at Oshkosh the weather reporting system by SayWeather. It has worked perfectly with no failures in four years. The weather station reports wind direction, speed, gust factor, altimeter, density altitude over the airport CTAF activated by four or five clicks on the freq. You can also add to that information a brief airport message such as "right traffic for 22", "noise sensitive area", 300 foot antenna west of field etc. The inventors of this system provide super support. It uses a computer generated voice which is very understandable.

It is in use at L70 in Southern CA. With line of sight the weather broadcast can be heard over 10 miles away.

The with a little magic this information can be linked to Weather Underground app so you can see the wx before going to airport.

The guys who designed the Stratux have a version that uses the same SDR to broadcast ADS-B weather/notams on 978MHz. It's being used by pilots in India (where the broadcast rules are lax) to provide traffic and weather locally at remote locations.

Back