What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waxing your RV

bkervaski

Hellloooooooo!
Testing
We just waxed our 14 ... the wifey was quick to point out, with some obvious disappointment, that I "misrepresented how much work waxing an airplane would be" :D

So much surface area...

What are you guys doing to protect your paint?

I have been using the Lucas spray detailer for the last few years..so easy! Spray on, microfiber buff up and its done. I will never use a paste type wax again .

We used a liquid wax from Meguires.

I also use the Lucas speed wax regularly. It doesn't hold up like regular wax but it does a great job and I love the way it smells ... like bubblegum or something.

Polymer finish

My 7a isn't done and my plan is to vinyl wrap. But, back in my show car days, most used a polymer finish. Zaino was very popular. Maguire makes one too. They go on very smooth and polish off with almost zero elbow grease. It was so slick the cat would fly off like it was greased.:D

Optimum No-Rinse Wash and Wax (with clay towel), followed by Optimum Instant Detailer and Gloss Enhancer.

I like that I can do as much or as little as I want at a time, without having to wash and wax the whole plane all at once, plus it does a really good job IMO.

What about ceramic coatings? Do they have any protective value? I think there are some formulations that work on vinyl too.

All of the factory demonstrators are maintained using Griot's Best of Show Spray Wax
It is fast to apply / buff using a micro fiber towel and it doesn't leave any white wax build-up around rivets, etc.
I imagine any of the liquid type spray waxes would be the same.

I recently had my plane waxed by some airport pro's. After washing they applied the wax/sealer with a Harbor Freight cheapo 10" electric buffer. It dries to a haze and you change the pad and it polish's off easy. Super slick finish that last 6 months plus.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M21...maguires+synthetic+wax&qid=1580946849&sr=8-14

After flying I make quick work of getting the bugs off with the matching Synthetic Detailer spray. Amazon shows it on sale, darn, I missed the sale.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-M21...maguires+synthetic+wax&qid=1580946849&sr=8-14

I plan to do it myself from now on.

We used a liquid wax from Meguires.

I also use the Lucas speed wax regularly. It doesn't hold up like regular wax but it does a great job and I love the way it smells ... like bubblegum or something.

I haven?t used Meguires, I use Rejex. Goes on/off easily and does not leave residue in the rivet heads.

It?s amazing how many ways there are to do the same thing. I tried to do a quantitative study on polishing products. I polished my RV8 taildragger wings with different products and then had a race to the trailing edge with tissue paper on each surface to see which one would slide off the wing first. The surface coated with Rejex won every time. I tried Wash-Wax-All, Meguiars, Turtle Wax, NuFinish, Mothers, and a few others, and Rejex won every time. Does that mean it?s better? I didn?t see any speed gain from using it over others...... bottom line - if you?re anal enough to wax your wings almost every time you fly (like me), it doesn?t matter what you use to do it. They are all pretty much the same. If you only wax/polish your airplane one a year........ I think you need help, and it still doesn?t matter what kind of wax or polish you use, but use something.

I use the Mothers waterless wash and shine, it works great. I have used the McGuire's waterless wash and shine as well. It is also good, but just not as good as the Mothers.

Never been cut and buffed, just staright paint, done by me (and I am an amature painter).

20191220-102346.jpg

We just waxed our 14 ... the wifey was quick to point out, with some obvious disappointment, that I "misrepresented how much work waxing an airplane would be" :D

So much surface area...

I mostly use Aero Cosmetics waterless Wash Wax All
https://www.amazon.com/Waterless-Ou...2?keywords=aero+cleaner&qid=1580990664&sr=8-2

and probably once per month use the Chemical Guys Chemical Guys Optical Select High Gloss Spray Sealant
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UPZXQM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

They I use lemmon pledge on the plexy/canopy.

all with plentry of micro cloths.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0714QMV8X/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Can't imagine using old fashon wax with as good and easy as these prodcuts are. So easy, I ususally get my bride to "help" after we tuck the plane back in the hangar. 15-30 minutes and you are done - depending on bug causualties.

Fukkenwax! This is not a joke; it is a real product; a waterless cleaner/polish that I have had excellent results with. Not cheap, but takes the bugs off the leading edges very nicely and leaves a nice slippery, shiny surface. Went to my local supplier a couple of weeks ago and they aren't able to sell it any more, though. Not sure what the story is on that.

Over the past 22+ years, I have used most of the above products and find that I like whatever I happen to have for the car or just used on the airplane.

Yes my airplane is painted with automotive paint.

The detailers I know have moved away from wax and use ceramic coatings. I've used it on my cars and its amazing. Just recently started using it on my airplanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY-8KyRrOuE

This is what I use:
https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-Ceramic-Coating/dp/B07NBNJB4L
https://www.amazon.com/Technicians-Choice-TEC582-Ceramic-Detail/dp/B07N8GBHTS

The caveat with using this stuff is the surface has to be very clean otherwise it will lock dirt into the pores of the paint surface.

I have used only spray on furniture polish for years, I never wash my plane (RV8), its kept in a hangar covered in bed sheets. $3 bucks a can, bugs wipe off easily, the shine is brilliant and it's as slippery as ice!:)

So since it seems virtually *everything* works for somebody or other, let's flip the question:

What should you NEVER EVER use to clean/wash/wax/polish your airplane? (Aside from the obvious things like MEK or paint solvent, obviously). What products have you found to be either hard to use, or have some undesireable characteristics, etc.?

Wax? What's that? Ha.

I started polishing my bare aluminum with my fancy schmancy Cycle Toolmakers polisher, but soon decided that was too much work for what is essentially my work truck...so, I use Wash-Wax-All on the canopy, but let Mother Nature clean the rest. It does get pressure washed every time it rains.

It would be nice to hear what people are using in wrapped airplanes too.
I use plexus on the whole airplane not cheap but does a great job.

One note for vinyl never get cutter or deep woods off on vinyl it?ll melt it. Imagine what it does to your skin.

I have used Zaino for years on my cars and my RV7. I did not want a ceramic coating as I want the ability if need be to remove everything with a good dawn wash.

I typically give the entire airplane a complete polish right after annual with z-5 , z-2. Then maintenance throughout out the year with z-6 and a-8 spray.

My painter said to use anything you would use on a car - doesn't matter. I've tried several things, and I can't get any of them to work badly. It seems like a situation where we've come a long way from the hours in the hot sun with the paste wax and buff.

I’ve been reluctant to wax thinking that if my plane every needs repaint it could mess with the paint job. How do you get the wax off if you ever have to repaint?

My painter said to use anything you would use on a car - doesn't matter. I've tried several things, and I can't get any of them to work badly. It seems like a situation where we've come a long way from the hours in the hot sun with the paste wax and buff.

I use Collinite No.845 insulator wax twice a year and have been very pleased with it. Did some research and this time I’m going to add Jescar Power Lock + prior to the insulator wax. Has anybody used this combination before? If so were you pleased with it?. My understanding is that the power lock plus goes on three hours before applying the insulator wax.

We just waxed our 14 ...

Soap and water. My -8 is painted with Sherwin Williams AcryGlo. I asked SW what wax to use. They said, don't wax it just use soap and water. 16 years on and it still looks good.

Chris

Google seems to read my mind - I just got this "Project Farm" video suggested where he evaluates various ceramic coatings. He always has a fun way of deciding how objectively measure things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

Spoiler: Turtle Wax 53409 Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray wins.

I’ve been reluctant to wax thinking that if my plane every needs repaint it could mess with the paint job. How do you get the wax off if you ever have to repaint?
Repainting involves sanding and caustic chemicals to clean /etch that no doubt take care of any wax you had on there... or so I would think though I'm no expert. But since it's done all the time so it seems like it would be a non-issue.

I use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer after the flight to remove bugs with a clean microfiber towel. I do not have many hours yet but the paint still looks great.

Attachments

• IMG_3597.jpg
    IMG_3597.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 407
  • IMG_2843.jpg
    IMG_2843.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_3608.jpg
    IMG_3608.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 392
I use Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer after the flight to remove bugs with a clean microfiber towel. I do not have many hours yet but the paint still looks great.

That's a fantastic looking paint job. I love the colors and the gloss.

I use a similar Meguiars product. It's available in gallon jugs which makes the "per squirt" cost a little lower. It's called Meguiar's Last Touch Spray Detailer. It's available on Amazon and I'll try to attach a link...

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Last-Touch-Spray-Detailer/dp/B0006SH4NC/ref=psdc_15718371_t1_B0002SQZS6

I never wash my plane nor wax it. After every flight I hit it with spray on furniture polish which contains bees wax rub with a soft cloth, plastics and all, I never put the beast away with a single bug on it-)

+1 on the Aero Cosmetics Wash/Wax All

I asked the paint shop owner what to use after he painted my airplane, this is what he recommended. Works great without water, just spray on and wipe with microfiber cloth, great for cleaning off bugs. Can do the whole airplane in less than an hour.

IMG_1773.jpg

Last edited:
I usually only "wax" wing, Horz. & Vert. Stab leading edges, and prop blade leading edge and back. It is great for making cleaning bugs off easier. *Lemon pledge* works well in a pinch. It adds 0.05 MPH. :D

McGuiars no 6 cleaner wax is the best if the paint is not already clean. Follow it up with any good carnuba wax and its good for a year. My 03 Husky still looks brand new

Chemical guys dry wash :(

I have been using chemical guys dry wash (pink stuff) as a wipe down for a couple weeks. Today was the first truly hot day in NEOH. I found the chemical guys dry wash staining the paint pink on the hot parts of the cowl (inlets, top). More and fully Liquid dry wash did not remove, mineral spirits did not touch the stain. An old wax and nu-finish both did take most of the pink out. Just a heads up on the colored stuff. My paint is SW Genesis.

Car guys will tell you *never* put *anything* on a hot surface. It should be cool to the touch before applying wax, polish, cleaner, detailing spray, even water. And if possible, do it in the shade, not out in the sun.

Soap and water. My -8 is painted with Sherwin Williams AcryGlo. I asked SW what wax to use. They said, don't wax it just use soap and water. 16 years on and it still looks good.

Chris

++1

The Acry-Glo paint on my -7A looks great after 7 years so I'm pretty sure it'll make it to 16 still looking good.

Back