What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Skyview and ray allen trim servo

RicoB

Well Known Member
Patron
Hello. Is anyone running the skyview with the AP control interface and are using it to operate the ray Allen pitch trim?
I don’t have switches on my stick other than the PTT.
Can the AP interface nose up and nose down be my trim control? If so could you share the wire diagram? Thanks

Hi Rico
I know you already have your wiring exposed for your HDX Touch upgrade so why not upgrade the sticks to ones that have a trim hat switch and flap switch. Being able to keep your hand on the stick and throttle while trimming for landing and the occasional go around is a game changer. The wiring instructions for that type of installation is readily available and should be easy to incorporate while you have everything opened up.
Brian

Last edited:
Indeed, I think I got a lil more than wires exposed! Lol. Something to consider!

I forgot to mention that i am not running a VPX. I found few threads about this but running thru a VPX.

The AP interface only controls the pitch trim within the AP system (when it is on). You’ll need control stick or momentary switch on the panel for trim control. The AP interface also allows you to eliminate the need for a Ray Allen relay deck.

Seth

isn't the AP on all the time ? in other words without momentary switch on the stick or the panel i won't have control of my trim at anytime. is that correct? i was trying to eliminate the switch on the panel but i still want to be able to control the trim anytime.

Rico
If you are in town this week let’s try to fly in my 14 so you can get a sense of how the autopilot and auto trim operate. I have the same system you are installing.

Hello. Is anyone running the skyview with the AP control interface and are using it to operate the ray Allen pitch trim?
I don’t have switches on my stick other than the PTT.
Can the AP interface nose up and nose down be my trim control? If so could you share the wire diagram? Thanks

To level set:
- The SkyView autopilot module does indeed provide the roll and pitch trim servo switching functions. It also incorporates a 3 second time out to mitigate trim running away. Any other trim controller (VPX, etc.) are not required or desired.
- When using the SkyView autopilot module in autopilot, you also get “auto trim”. If the autopilot servo finds the the trim out of wack it will move the trim servo - just like you would do manually.
- You need both roll and pitch autopilot servos and at least a pitch trim servo. The autopilot servo will not function as a trim servo. While it will compensate for not having a trim servo it will only do this when the autopilot is on. This is not acceptable (think takeoff and landing).

Carl

And you cannot control your trim servos from the autopilot control module - you will need trim switches either on the panel or on the stick. The autopilot, when active, will handle the trim for you - but when it's not active you have to do that manually with your own set of trim switches.

Back