What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 engine ?

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
RV8 engine mount question.

My new engine O-360 A1A. Has a rear facing oil filter
The other 15 or so,, RV8s I’ve built,,,,, their engines came came with an oil filter angled to the side about 45 degrees ...
will I need to change the oil filter mount? Or has something changed since I last built a RV8?
My fuselage is out getting interior paint,,,,,,, so can’t mount the engine to find out just yet.
Where do I get what I need ,,,,, if I need it?

Thanks

B and C Specialty Products (among others). Shop/click on their oil products. Can't say which one you'll need as I don't know your whole config. Give them a call.

Last edited:
Mine is an O-360 A1D converted to A1A. Shouldn't be a problem.

I can PM you a pic if you need it.

Jay:

The oil filter on my O-360-A1A is mounted going straight back. Other than the mis-manufactured oil mount used by Lycoming (you may recall that incident from 15 years ago) the configuration works fine. An upwardly angled mount of about 45 degrees would certainly make oil changes a lot less messy so that is a consideration.

Chris

Oil Filter

If all else fails I have a couple of AirWolf Remote remote oil filter setups. The part that fits on the engine is fairly short.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer

Attachments

• 67DDE300-ED96-4DB3-B990-AF42371F1B4E.jpg
    67DDE300-ED96-4DB3-B990-AF42371F1B4E.jpg
    347.9 KB · Views: 182
Jay:

The oil filter on my O-360-A1A is mounted going straight back. Other than the mis-manufactured oil mount used by Lycoming (you may recall that incident from 15 years ago) the configuration works fine. An upwardly angled mount of about 45 degrees would certainly make oil changes a lot less messy so that is a consideration.

Chris

The angle adapter doesn’t help much with the mess Chris - the filter traps oil so that when you spin it off, it drips straight down before you can get it flipped upright.

I’ve got two airplanes with angle adapters, two with straight back adapters, and the only way to not spill is to do the “bagging trick” with a large zip lock.

Paul

Luke,

Thanks for the picture,,,, looks like it will work.
I’ll know as soon as my fuselage gets out of paint shop jail

Plenty of room for the AC style adapter on an -8. Probably 2" between the 48110's cooler nut and the firewall.

http://www.rv8.it/log/engine/Pages/10.html

O-360-A1A : never had any issue from 2010

Not to drift the thread. But I am re-doing my baffle with Van’s O-360 kit and the oil cooler mount. This picture is very helpful and inspiring. My previous baffle was rather, um, downright horrible. It got the job done, barely. However, it did not have the cut outs for the ramps. And it knocked on the cowl. Which the AvengerBoss pointed out to me. Soon it will be all better.

The angle adapter doesn’t help much with the mess Chris - the filter traps oil so that when you spin it off, it drips straight down before you can get it flipped upright.

I’ve got two airplanes with angle adapters, two with straight back adapters, and the only way to not spill is to do the “bagging trick” with a large zip lock.

Paul

Paul,
What is the best bag method with a side pointing oil filter. I still make a mess. Thanks

Last edited:

Paul

I have the 90-degree filter adapter (Casper, IIRC) and when I change my oil, I get zero mess, not a drip. Well, maybe one or two, easily caught in a rag placed underneath.

Here is what I do. When I take the cowls off and prepare to do an oil change, the very first thing I do is take a sharp punch and punch a small hole in the top of the oil filter can.

Then, I proceed to drain the oil. I prop up the tail to get the engine level, put a bucket under the quick drain, and let it drain. I usually just go away and do other things for a half hour or so while the oil drains.

By then, the oil filter has drained empty, by virtue of the vent hole in the top. Because the filter is oriented 45 degrees off vertical, there is still a small amount of oil in it, but so little that as soon as you unscrew the filter and rotate it just a tiny bit toward horizontal, that oil can not drain out. I put a rag underneath and usually catch just a couple of drips. Very minimal.

BTW, this is the ONLY reason I installed the 90 degree adapter. I think there is plenty of room to install the straight adapter, but no way to get the filter to drain prior to removal.

One minor annoyance to watch out for: once you get the filter off the airplane, you have a tendency to want to carry it with the mounting face up. If you do that, oil will drip out through the punched vent hole. So I carry it more horizontal, and rotated so the vent hole is upward.

Last edited:
Back