What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lycoming engine book recommendations

rv8ch

Well Known Member
Patron
Hi,

Can anyone recommend some good books on Lycoming engines, particularly the io-360?

I have the Sacramento Sky Ranch book, but I'm looking for something a bit more detailed about the engine. For example, there are a lot of ports/plugs on my Mattituck engine that I can't identify, and since they are closed :( , not sure if I will get support.

I have an article here with details of what I'm looking for:

http://www.rv8.ch/holes-identify-engine/

(click for more pics)

Last edited:
#1 temp Sensor (5/8 - 18 UNF)
#2 Oil Cooler (unsure if it is in or out)
#3 Breather
#4 Tach drive cable
#5 Looks like oil pressure
#6 Not used. Possible alternate source for oil pressure.
#7 plug on oil galley
#8 Oil Cooler (unsure if it is in or out)
#9 Plug in crankcase. (Possible place to run oil return from air / oil separator if you wish to put it back in the sump. Mine is located at this location for past 15-years and 2,600+ flying hours without issue.)
#10 Looks like OLD location for Veritherm. (assume it is a plug)
#11 Not used.
#12 Not used.
#13 Not used. Plug on oil galley
#14 Not used. Possible alternate governor oil line location.)

I did all this from memory so if someone finds an error, please post.

Last edited:
Lyc

#2 normally goes to top of cooler
#5 oil pressure. Most of the older engines do not have this port
#6 oil pressure port(preferred0 if you do not have this port you will probably need a special fitting to clear dynafocal engine mount ring
#8 bottom oil cooler port.
Most of this is covered in diagrams in Lycoming operators handbook. You can also purchase a large "installation drawing" from Lycoming, you will probably have to contact them for the drawing.

The Lycomign Direct Drive overhaul Manual will have an awful lot of this as well. While Lycoming sells it, pdf copies have been known to float around the internet....

The Lycoming Direct Drive overhaul Manual will have an awful lot of this as well. While Lycoming sells it, PDF copies have been known to float around the internet....

Mickey,
Great advice from Paul. Contact me via email or PM.
Charlie

The IO-360 Lycoming Operators manual has those port locations on a diagram. . Having just installed an IO-0360-A3B6 I can say that #8 is the oil cooler pressure (bottom) and #2 is oil cooler return (top)

If you're just crazy to know stuff, buy the complete set of Service Bulletins, Service Instructions, and Service Letters from Lycoming. You'll need a few big binders.

Gary, you did good. Minor tweak...#10 is usually just a plug these days, but it can cover an oil cooler pressure relief plunger and spring. The plunger and spring are not used if equipped with a vernatherm in the oil filter adapter.

I have a scanned pdf copy of O-320/IO320 Operator's Manual. Revised 1998. If somebody wants it PM me your email address.

Manuals

I have the current operators and overhaul manuals, however they are Large(19 & 15 MB) so I dont think they can be e-mailed. If someone had an FTP server or whatever that can handle the required size I can send it to them. Russ

Search on line for the Superior XP 360 overhaul manual for some insights and help. Here is the image for the rear of the engine.

2iiudew.jpg

Dan

Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual

Here's a copy of the Lycoming Direct Drive Overhaul Manual. (Updated: the link below goes to the latest version, October 2010). Not sure of the age. If someone has a newer version and would email it to me, I'll change it to the most current and have it available on my blog. The date on the last revision (7-10B) is June 2002.

http://larrys-airplane.blogspot.com/2012/09/documents.html

Last edited:
Just a FYI - there have been revisions to that manual up through (can't remember if June or July) 2008.

Dan

Just a FYI - there have been revisions to that manual up through (can't remember if June or July) 2008.Dan

The date of the last revision on the copy I have (7-10B) is June 2002. If anyone has the latest version, I'd be happy to host it if it will fit on google docs.

Me too! Is the latest one 20++ years old or what? Searched Lyco site no joy...

Jerry, good morning to you.

The Lycoming Operator's Manual I have is dated 2005. The part number is 60297-12. There may be revisions to it, I have not checked lately.

This is a good book to have. It is the official FAA bible on operating the 0360 series of engines and as lots of good information on limitations and operating procedures plus good diagrams of the where stuff is on the accessory case. It and the Flyer are good sources of information.

Lycoming Operator's Manual - Revision December 2009

Russell Brown was kind enough to send the Lycoming Operator's Manual and I've posted it here: http://larrys-airplane.blogspot.com/2012/09/documents.html. It's a large (19mb) pdf file that appears original and not a scanned copy.

This is the description:

Lycoming Operator's Manual 60297-12
Revision Number - 60297-12-5
Publication - O-360, HO-360, IO-360, AIO-360, HIO-360 & TIO-360 Series
Publication Number - 60297-12
Publication Date - October 2005
Current Revision - December 2009

Me too! Is the latest one 20++ years old or what? Searched Lyco site no joy...

Jerry,
Lycoming does not release complete new overhaul manuals. From time to time, they release updates [replacement pages, think loose leaf binder] The newest version is from 2010.
Charlie
PS I am referring to the 60294-7-13, the latest version of the Direct Drive Engine Overhaul Manual, circa October 2010

Last edited:
I have a scanned pdf copy of O-320/IO320 Operator's Manual. Revised 1998. If somebody wants it PM me your email address.

Vlad,
That document [60297-16-4] is WAY out of date. The current 320 Operators Manual is 60297-30, circa October, 2006. FYI, you can find out what the "up to date" version of most Lycoming documents are, by referring to Service Letter L114AU & it's Supplement #1, available at

http://www.lycoming.textron.com/support/publications/service-letters/index.html

Charlie

IO-540 Operators Manual

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a version for the IO-540? If anyone has a copy then I would be glad to receive on. Thanks.

Hi all,

Does anyone know of a version for the IO-540? If anyone has a copy then I would be glad to receive on. Thanks.

Andrew,
All direct drive engines from the O-145 to the IO-720 [except for 76 series engines aka O-320-H2D] use the same overhaul manual.
Charlie

Manuals

Hi Larry,

If Lycoming comes after you I'll contribute to your legal defense fund. :D

Thanks for posting them.

Mickey

Operator's manual for the O320?

Does anyone have a recent version of the operators manual for the O320. These are great, thanks for posting.

Michael-

Back