What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to stay overnight, GA to OSH

Ed_Wischmeyer

Well Known Member
On past trips, I've always stayed with friends as the need arose, going and coming. This year, that won't work -- out of town, runway torn up for resurfacing, kid moved back in with too much stuff. And to make things more interesting, the weather in the southeast has been IFR / low IFR in the mornings (I don't fly above overcasts lower than 1,000'), with thunderstorms in the afternoon, sometimes organized thunderstorms. Bottom line is that I don't know when I'll leave, exactly. In the last 10 years, once I had a three day window and took the airlines. Once the weather went bad at the last moment and I drove, a fate even worse than the airlines.

My fallback position is to land at big city airport$ that will have access to name brand hotel$, etc., but does anybody have any better ideas? I know that at one point there was a list of hospitable RVers, but my search of VAF was inadequate to find it.

See y'all in Oshkosh!

Ed

Ed you are a CFII, ATP and PHD in god knows what.
You should be able to command the space shuttle. :D

Ed:

In the past, I also have stayed overnight somewhere before flying into OSH.

Iowa City use to have an airplane themed hotel walking distance from the airport. I have stayed there once. They are booked already this year.

I am in the same boat as you looking for a place to overnight before heading into OSH early the next morning.

I live in NC so will end up flying about as much as you to get to OSH.

Driving myself is last resort if I am unable to fly myself but I will be there for Van's 50th year.

Last edited:
Overnight near Oshkosh

I suggest you consider Dekalb Taylor Municipal Airport (KDKB) in Illinois. It’s less than an hour from Ripon so if you can be wheels up by 6:00 AM you can easily arrive for the VFR procedure into KOSH by 7:00 AM. Sometimes (no guarantees) the controllers will be on the air by 6:45 and will allow you to continue. Every time I’ve flown from Dekalb to KOSH via dawn patrol I’ve had little to no other traffic to contend with.
The only drawback to Dekalb is that the numerous hotels are about four miles away, which means a taxi or an Uber is necessary. Taxi is doable even at5:30 AM.
Good luck.

Well guys, I have a 2200 foot grass strip on our farm in eastern Iowa near Davenport, and a nice cabin three miles away that I could get you to that you would be welcome to use. I am leaving Sunday morning for OSH though, so if I am not around it would be a little more difficult to make it work. Let me know if you are interested.

FWIW On the way up from St. Augustine to Oshkosh I am staying the night in Dekalb (KDKB) just west of Chicago Class "B" airspace. 7,000ft runway, multiple IFR approaches, lower priced fuel for the area, still some hotel availability and only 1hr from KOSH. :cool:

We’ve stopped in Decatur, IL (KDEC) for lunch. Nice airport, 3 crossing runways, and there is a hotel on the field I believe. Good FBO also. I’ve recently reviewed possible stops for a trip from central Mississippi up to KOSH, looking for crossing runways (still trying to master crosswinds in my RV-8) with a Marriott nearby since I can use points. If you have an idea of your route I can provide some possibilities. Janesville, WI could work for you.

This year, we’re headed up in a 4 wheel RV and camping in Camp Scholler. I’m going to miss HBC, but probably not the thunderstorms if it’s anything like 2021.

Hope the weather patterns change! Today's forecast is for IFR with ceilings at 1,000, scattered underneath, continuing till the thunderstorms hit early afternoon.

Looks like my escape plan will be to leave mid-morning and get as far as I can before the afternoon festivities, hopefully north of or, more likely, around the Smokies past Chattanooga. Rest of the way the next day.

Another vote for KDKB

The airport ferried a bunch of us to a nearby hotel a few years ago. I can't remember much but there was a Culver's and a CVS/Walgreens next door to the hotel.

Stay

Bowling Green Kentucky has a big hangar for your plane , hotel in walking distance or the airport guy will give you a ride . Good restaurants within walking distance too

Thanks for the tip on KDKB. I am currently planning KRPJ right to the west. Hopefully the weather will cooperate this year.

Watertown

There are hotels and restaurants walking distance from Watertown, which is midway between Madison and Milwaukee. But check with them for any mass-arrival gatherings.
https://www.airnav.com/airport/KRYV
Hotels near the airport have been booked for months, rates double pre covid rates. There are rooms available at Hartford but they are the other side of town from the airport and I don't believe they offer pickup.

3MY Peoria

Ed You might look at 3MY Mt Hawley airport in Peoria, IL. There is a hotel 250 yds from the airport, self serve gasoline, a Paneras in sight of the hotel, Krogers too. Also an Italian family food place that is a staple of the area with great takeout sandwiches (for next day).

It is 45 min from Ripon. One IFR approach. 18/36 RWY.

Look at google maps.

DKKB

The airport ferried a bunch of us to a nearby hotel a few years ago. I can't remember much but there was a Culver's and a CVS/Walgreens next door to the hotel.

Steve, I think my wife and I were on that ride to and from DKB with you. Culver's Ice cream was great. WX was not so good and we could not continue to OSH that year. As I recall it was 2017 or 18. We stayed at a motel there in town and one of the employees took us to town and picked us up early the next morning.
Ed and Liz

Another DeKalb data point is the fact that it is only a little over an RV hour south of KOSH. They also provide hot dogs, chips and cold water.

Consider also C77 near Rockford and Dekalb if you would like to camp with your airplane. Hotels are a bit distant, but for fuel or camping, it's great.

Back