What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Chemical Reactions with these compounds and aluminum/steel

CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
What if any issues would arrive from aluminum or steel parts have with any of these compounds? Long story and just trying to figure out what possible effects I may have with some parts that were exposed to these things.

5–10% sodium hypochlorite
0.5–2% sodium hydroxide
sodium silicate

Last edited:
Mark,

Sodium Hypochlorite is commonly called bleach. 5-10 % is a little stronger than your household chemical. It will react to metals that contain zinc. The result is metal oxide. Or, hydroxide.

Sodium Hydorxide is used in many cleaning chemicals. The water treatment plant uses "lye" a form of sodium hydroxide. Strong bases such as this will severly etch or attack aluminum when water is mixed in. Your percentage is pretty low.

Sodium Silicate is used in the water treatment process to make the molecule bigger so it can be removed more easily. It's also used in refractory cements at power plants I have worked in.

It sounds like you have been hauling water treatment chemicals.

In short, you have salts and that usually leads to corrosion. However, your concentrations are pretty low and hopefully you will only see a light etching with limited exposure and lots of flushing.

Hope this helps your decision.

Chuck

Last edited:
5–10% sodium hypochlorite - I don't think bleach will hurt it if rinsed
0.5–2% sodium hydroxide - This is caustic, so if left on it may etch the alumnum
sodium silicate - This is used as part of metal repair compounds so it may be ok.

Nothing there sounds any worse that the Coke I spilt on my parts. You should be fine if the bits are cleaned and rinsed.

Back