What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Are locking fuel caps worth it?

s10sakota

Well Known Member
Vans offers an option for locking fuel caps. I can't decide if I want to buy them or not. I suppose the only point of having locking fuel caps would be for tamper protection. No one can add coolaid to my fuel and no one could steal it as it's sitting on the ramp.

But really, do I really need to worry about this? I don't think airports are that unsafe...are they? Maybe it's just piece of mind of knowing that they are locked for sure and no one can get in the tanks?

What do you think? For those of you that purchased this option, why did you?

Also, what happens if I lose the key when I fly to Florida to scuba dive? How would I ever get the fuel caps off??

I suppose the only point of having locking fuel caps would be for tamper protection.

Actually no. Some folks use the locking fuel caps as they seal better. In my case, I MUST have sealing caps or my fuel from long range tanks will not transfer properly. There are probably other reasons.

Locking fuel caps

I added locking fuel caps to my 8A when I was building because I had a little concern for the possibility of someone stealing fuel with prices as high as they are. However, a friend of mine mentioned that if someone was going to "steal" your fuel all they have to do is remove your lower fuel testing valve on lower wing and they can have all the fuel they need.

Allan Stern
RV 8A 87 hours

But really, do I really need to worry about this? I don't think airports are that unsafe...are they? Maybe it's just piece of mind of knowing that they are locked for sure and no one can get in the tanks?

What do you think? For those of you that purchased this option, why did you?

I've never used locking feature on my caps. In my limited experience on multiple airports it's not worth to buy locking caps. Save money for gas.

Locking caps useless against fuel thieves

I don't see much use as a theft deterrent.

If they want your fuel they can easily drain it from the sump valve. If that isn't fast enough a few extra drain holes can easily be made with an ice pick!

I would rather loose some fuel than have to fix my tanks.

I did install the Andair locking fuel caps in my -10. My main concern was to thwart someone tampering with the fuel when away from home and tied down on the ramp and the other reason is for a better/more positive seal they provide. The downside is that you no longer have the wide opening so you are unable to watch the fuel level as you pump. I'll keep a spare key hidden in the plane.

Another reason not to worry too much about fuel theft: Penalties for thefts from airfields are much harsher than theft from cars. If someone wants fuel that badly, they will take it from a car.

Easier to open

The main reason I installed them is because they are easy to open (as long as you have the key).

I didn't like the stock caps that came with my kit - very difficult to un-latch. IIRC, the RV-14 had an improved fuel cap when I saw it at Osh.

I will stick with the stock caps. :)

I originally had the stock caps shipped in my Wing order. After actuating them a bit, I did not like how hard they were to open.

I then opted for the deluxe version and sent the stock caps back. Since the price point between the non locking and the locking deluxe was minimal, I got the locking.

Once they arrived, I repeated my actuation exercise and the difference is night and day.

I also flew to KOSH in a RV-6 with stock caps and I had a bear of a time opening them at our fuel stops. My buddy even had a little tool made of UHMW to open them. After that, I was again glad I ponied up for the deluxe caps.

Just my $0.02

Fuel Tank Caps not shown as Option?

After reading this thread, I am wondering why the choice of fuel tank caps is not shown as an option on the wing order form. I was not aware of the "choice" when I ordered my wing kit a long time ago, and just became aware of it just recently after I got back into "production" on my wing kit. I am almost ready to start building the fuel tanks, so it is decision time for me regarding sending my stock caps back or keeping them.

This is a good thread. Thanks for all the comments.

Ya I was wondering why I never saw the option either. I only learned about it from studying everyone else's builder's logs!

Deluxe Fuel Caps

I'm in the same boat as you guys. I'm ready to build the tanks but just noticed the flange is different from the stock caps and I would really like the nicer caps.

Thanks for the input on the deluxe locking caps though.

Does the lock protrude into the fuel tank? I was concerned that the locking mechanism might allow a water path into the tank. I may be overthinking this one but what about the water that freezes in the locking mechanism?

Chuck

I have flown an Arrow in previous years and have seen the ramp filled with kids carrying action figures and watching the 4th of July fireworks across the runway. My concern was that an action figure might find its way into a fuel tank when I wasn't watching.

That was my primary concern and I was considering locking fuel caps for peace of mind. But after using the RV-10 fuel caps a bit, I realized they're not the easiest thing to open and someone would really need to know what they're doing compared to the simple twist-type caps in the Arrow.

So I'm using standard caps.

Phil

Last edited:
I'm doing locking caps the second time around. Not for fear of theft, but solely to protect against other people and entry. I've seen (and addressed) young kids on the ramp at fly-ins monkeying with a fuel cap... I've also had my tanks "accidentally" topped off by an FBO, really!. Tanya was loving the free fuel, until I started to go off with all the what-ifs. No thanks, I'd rather manage my own fuel.

Deluxe caps but without the locking feature

I polled our local RV Builder's Group (TVRVBG) and got three responses:

An RV-7 builder is going with the standard caps.

A builder of an RV-8 who is building a second RV-8 said he is going with the locking caps on his second RV-8 after going with standard caps on his first one.

And, the third builder said he had standard caps on his RV-6 AND locking caps on his tip tanks. He says the difference is night and day.

His words: "The deluxe caps lock differently and are not as tough on the seals as are Vans standard caps. I have not done any maintenance on the deluxe caps. I have to service the o-rings on the Std caps at least annually with fuel lube."

So I called Van's and ordered two of the deluxe caps. The reason they operate better is that they seal with a quarter turn and don't expand the o-ring. You can order deluxe caps with or without the locking feature. I chose the latter.

The bummer part is Van's has a two year return policy, and since my wing kit is older than two years, they won't take the ones I have in exchange. So I may be selling my standard caps if I really like the newer ones I bought.

So it seems there are three options for fuel caps. I still think these options should be listed on the Wing Kit order form.

Last edited:
Just an update: I ordered the deluxe fuel caps from Vans today. I did NOT buy the locking ones.

I started looking at my stock caps and they are impossible to open without tools. I know there was a thread posted here about modifying them to make them easier, but I didn't want to take them apart and modify them and then have them still be a hassle to open.

So I will return these to Vans for a credit and use the deluxe caps. I didn't get the locking ones because like it was stated here earlier, if someone wants my fuel, they are going to get it one way or another. At least without locking caps they can take the fuel with no damage to the airplane.

But realistically, having someone steal my fuel really is not even a worry of mine. I just don't think that happens.

Back