What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need hardware advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mconner7

Well Known Member
I need to replace these bolts on my RV-10. I think they are AN-3 but not sure the length. Should I use stainless?

Attachments

• 8B7C2D7D-FBF0-49DC-84DF-C50F172B9E7B.jpg
    8B7C2D7D-FBF0-49DC-84DF-C50F172B9E7B.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Stainless is generally standard for exhaust flange bolts to keep corossion down. Have no idea on the size and suspect could be different for veterman vs the Vans parts. Do you have a calipar? An AN3 would be just under 3/16" on the outter edges of the threads or maybe .306" AN4 would be around .245"

Stainless is generally standard for exhaust flange bolts to keep corossion down. Have no idea on the size and suspect could be different for veterman vs the Vans parts. Do you have a calipar? An AN3 would be just under 3/16" on the outter edges of the threads or maybe .306" AN4 would be around .245"

I am stuck with sticky valve issues in a rural mountain airport. I don’t have a caliper but am pretty sure this is an AN-3. I was hoping to get replacements from Spruce but failed to measure the length before I left the plane yesterday.

That hardware is cheap enough that I always buy several lengths anyway. The cost of a few extra bolts is likely to be a negligible percentage of the shipping charges from Spruce.

Generally speaking these ball type exhaust couplings use springs and drilled shank bolts with castellated nuts and cotter keys.

Attachments

• 8E0FF68F-4CCF-49E6-9822-4E851C802E82.jpeg
    8E0FF68F-4CCF-49E6-9822-4E851C802E82.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 155
Generally speaking these ball type exhaust couplings use springs and drilled shank bolts with castellated nuts and cotter keys.

Yep, but to just get home you could use a metal lock nut and leave the connection a little bit loose for movement of the system.

Order then correct hardware and fix it correctly when you get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back