What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Barrett IO 540 sump hose package

TS Flightlines

Well Known Member
Advertiser
As some of you know, we've been supplying a sump hose package for the Barrett IO540 mainly for the RV10s. Because of the internal structure of the sump, there is an external hose that supplys the oil pump. Well, in the RV10, the space between the aft sump and the nose gear limits the adapter fittings, and does complicate things alittle.

In the past we've used a AN823-10D (45*) adapter at the aft sump with a 120* hose end. It was labor intensive for me to modify the 120* hose end for our hose. So we changed it to a AN822-10D (90*) and that solved the issue----for the time being. Works well.

However---gee there is always a 'however', doing maintenance on the sump screen became an issue. It wasnt the fact that the screen wasnt serviceable, it was that the sump ports were NPT thread. Removing the 90* adapter to get to the screen meant that there was a real probablity that getting the fitting in the same orientation AND tight/leak free, might be an issue. In addition to changing the threads ever so slightly each time the fitting was reinstalled. Several renditions of bushings and oring boss adapters didnt solve the problem of the NPT thread in the sump.

Through the efforts of Bob Lussow, we think we have a protential solution.
Its a fitting screen used in alot of dry sump race engine applications. Bob removed the original sump screen, and installed the fitting screen. (it can be install at the aft sump fitting, or the branch port fitting on the sump tee. Serves the same purpose.) 10 hours +- of flight time, no difference in oil pressure throughout the flight profile. Pics below.

The advantage is this is a 730 micron screen, and is easily accessable. Biggest advantage is that once the aft sump fitting is sealed, tight and oriented properly, you dont have to remove it. So that eliminates the biggest worry and headache of most owners.

No---we dont make the screen and with permission of Doug, I'd like to give credit to Dry Sump Solutions of Temecula, CA. Screen available from them.
WE'll have one at our OSH exhibit along with the new version sump tee and quick drain for your viewing pleasure. Again---thanks to Bob Lussow for his contribution!

Tom

Attachments

• 24-06-0601 FITTING SCREEN 2.jpg
    24-06-0601 FITTING SCREEN 2.jpg
    466.6 KB · Views: 68
  • 24-06-0601 FITTING SCREEN.jpg
    24-06-0601 FITTING SCREEN.jpg
    516.8 KB · Views: 94
  • fitting screen vs sump screen.jpg
    fitting screen vs sump screen.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
...and

To add to Tom's post, I spoke with Dry Sump Systems about the oil scavenge screen, specifically the flow rate of the screen. Here is an excerpt of the conversation:

"...The area of the screen is greater than the area of the -10A/N fitting so the flow rate would be the same..."

They went on to talk about turbulence but in comparison to the original suction screen, it should be similar.

A point that was alluded to in Tom's post, was that checking the suction screen on a -10 is, well, challenging and likely not being done at any regular interval, if at all.

Using this scavenge screen will make it easy to check, clean, or replace at the oil change interval.

I have pulled my previous data logs to compare with the new data logs to see if I can find any difference. As of right now, it appears that there is little, if any, noticeable difference in oil pressure or temp. Data log with the original suction screen shows stabilized oil pressure of 75 +/-3 and temp around 190 for a 2.4 hour flight. The data for the scavenge screen is showing similar numbers.

As I get more data, I will post an update.

Sump tee and quick drain pictures

Tom,

Could you please post pictures of the new version sump tee and quick drain assembly for the RV10?

Thanks

Mike

Yes

All data looks great. Oil pressure stable for the last 75 hours and no debris at all in the screen at the last oil change.

Works great!

Back