camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-8/8A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2006, 01:31 AM

Default Vans RV-7/8 Wing Tip Landing Light Kit

Anyone used this new lighting kit yet?

Vans RV-7/8 Wing Tip Landing Light Kit

If you have please let me know what you think of the kit in general. Some pics of the installation would be greatly appreciated as well.
Saucier MS
Old 08-29-2006, 10:07 AM

Van's tip lights aren't worth the powder to blow them to kingdom come.

Search for "duckworks"; I'm sure my post "Tested: Duckworks vs. Van's" will show up. There's also been many other threads on tip vs. leading edge lights.

John Siebold
Old 08-30-2006, 06:54 PM

Thanks John, I appreciate the response. I understand you like Duckworks but the lights I asked about aren't like those tested and compared. Supposedly they have 4 - 75 watt lights. I was wondering if someone had tried them yet.
Saucier MS
Old 08-31-2006, 06:39 PM

Default Bought one

Hi John,

I bought the kit but haven't installed it. I'm waiting 'till the end of the project to do the fiberglass work. I can answer any questions about the materials or send pics if you like.

It does indeed have 4 75W projector bulbs. The hardware looks substantial and not difficult to put together. I'm sure you could roll your own if you wanted to. I bought the kit because I wanted to stop building some day.

Regards,
Old 08-31-2006, 09:11 PM

I just finished installing the 4-bulb kit in my RV-7. As far as the quality of materials and ease of installation are concerned, the kit is a good kit. All totaled it probably took a few hours per wingtip to complete. They realy look good and you can set them up to shoot above and beside your nav/strobes. I do not have my wings on my fuselage yet, so I am not sure how they perform. If you plan to use Bob Archer's wintip antennas, I would suggest installing the lights first, starting with the heat shield material that comes with the light kit. It is easier without trying to work around the antenna.

I hope this helps.

Keith Ward
RV-7
Marietta, GA
Old 08-31-2006, 10:49 PM

Thanks Tom and Keith! That's exactly the info I was looking for. I like the idea that you can set them up to shoot around and above the nav lights. I like the looks of the Duckworks lights but I really don't like the idea of cutting the leading edge. I know it's been done hundreds of times with great results, I would just prefer not to do it.

If either of you could post or send a pic I would really appreciate it.
Saucier MS
Old 08-31-2006, 11:14 PM

I'd really like to see the light pattern from Van's new lights. Common wisdom seems to agree that all the wing-tip lights leave a big black hole in front of the plane but light the runway edge perfectly. I'd like tip lights but I'd like to see too.
Old 09-01-2006, 01:03 AM

Exclamation Bulbs....

Scott.... if they are these 75 watt MR-16 bulbs, then each bulb is a 12 degree spot and 17,000 candlepower, and a 3500 hour rating

http://www.lightbulbsdirect.com/page...2V/75W12VSP10H

By comparison, a 100 watt 4509 PAR-36 bulb in most small certified aircraft has a 6 by 12 degree spot. With a 70 hour rating (most owners say less... ...) and a 84,000 candlepower rating.

It seems that all 4 of the Vans bulbs will almost equal a "standard" aircraft landing light - with 80 % of the brightness - but 50 times the lifetime, and with redundancy.

As you can now guess... the trade off is brightness for lamp life... the aircraft bulb is bright for a short time, the MR-16 halogen bulbs are nice and white, and last a long time, usually in your kitchen....

If you want more data, a big list is here...

http://www.mts.net/~william5/library/lamps.htm

I've made some assumptions here... can anyone verify that the bulbs in Vans kit are MR-16 (2 inch diameter) and give a part number?

I've also seen the 4905 bulb listed at 110,000 candlepower, 30 % higher than thew assumptions above....

4905 info http://www.donsbulbs.com/cgi-bin/r/b.pl/4509~usa.html
MR-16 pic http://www.buylighting.com/images/in...y/346image.jpg

Can anyone give me the bulb part number from Vans kit??

gil in Tucson
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ
Old 09-01-2006, 04:57 AM

The Van's bulbs are MR16-EYF
Old 09-01-2006, 10:49 AM

Smile Thanks Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcostanza
The Van's bulbs are MR16-EYF
Thanks Tom....

The GE catalog lists these as 71 watt (energy savings?) at 12 volts and 11,000 candlepower. I think other off-shore makers still rate them at 75 watts.

Since they are usually designed for kitchen track lights, etc. ...the transformer would give them a reasonably accurate 12 volts.

We probably give the landing lights nearer 14 volts in operation, so I'll still go with the figures above and the assumption of 17,000 candlepower.

I don't have the time to calculate the extra brightness and loss of lamp life for the extra 2 volts applied....

It's a good application of kitchen lights... aim all 4 at the same spot in the distance, and you get close to a Cessna light but with a 12 by 12 beam instead of a 12 by 6 beam...
Or... aim them in slightly different directions and get less light aimed at a single point, but in the beam pattern you want...

gil in Tucson
RV-6A N61GX - finally flying
Grumman Tiger N12GA - flying
La Cholla Airpark (57AZ) Tucson AZ