- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-15-2021, 09:08 AM

Default Fuel line fracture in flight

My RV10 has 1470 hrs on a IO 540. It is maintained by my A&P who has built two RVs and is familiar with the 100 hr AD to inspect the fuel lines. So less than fifty hrs after annual I experienced a ruff running engine suddenly with power change an a immediate landing was made and fracture of fuel line to # 2 cylinder and small crack #1 fuel line was discovered. My question is has anyone else experienced this or found cracks in their fuel lines? You can imagine I am quite freaked out by the potential for fire from this so any additional info I can collect will be welcomed

Dozewase
Old 02-15-2021, 09:30 AM

Default Support?

Wasnt there a Service Letter or AD note about supporting the stainless steel injector nozzle lines? Ifn I remember rightly, something about needing two Adel clamps per line or something like that.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:34 AM

Default Ah,Here It Is

https://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/b39e0b81acb0f30786257ecf005d80c7/$FILE/2015-19-07.pdf

If the link doesn’t work, Google AD 2015-19-07.
Old 02-15-2021, 10:11 AM

Lycoming MSB 342G.
Pics or description of your failure would be helpful.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 02-15-2021, 10:09 PM

Yup, been there done that. Happened to me about 9 years ago. I was in moderate turbulence at 2500. Was smelling a bit of fuel. I thought it was coming out of the vents since I had just refueled. Decided to climb to 8500 to get out of the turbulence. Faced a 40 kt headwind but got a smooth ride. The serenity lasted about a minute when all heck broke loose. Felt like a jug departed the airplane. The shaking and roughness was horrible. Brought the throttle to idle and roughness was mostly gone. Traded airspeed for altitude, got to best glide speed. The nearest field was 8 miles ahead, but impossible to make in that headwind. Turned to a field 12 miles behind me and easily made it to Low Key.

Landed, and closed out my emergency with Atlanta Approach. It was a Friday afternoon and I knew my friends at the Falcon RV Squadron were getting ready to brief a formation flight. I called one of them to let them know I might need some help. And finally called my wife and let her know that I was alright and I might be late for dinner.

Removed the cowl and the problem was immediately obvious. The #4 injector line was severed about a 1/4 past the braised joint. There were blue stains everywhere. Hard to believe nothing caught fire. Called my friends and let them know. They called me back and told me Avparts only needed my credit card no. One of them flew to Newnan to get the replacement line. They briefed up an alternate mission and came to my rescue 80 miles east of Atlanta. It was very touching to see a 4 ship pitch out overhead for me! One of them brought enough tools to do an engine change and another handed me a Coke and told me to have a seat. I was home before sunset.

I checked my injector lines per the MSB referenced above. Everything was perfect. To this day Im dumbfounded as to the cause. My only guess is that the line was twisted when installed by engine shop. Ive put another 1000 hours on it since then and everything is fine.
Old 02-16-2021, 05:23 AM

Default Top of the engine photos . . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Flightlines View Post
Lycoming MSB 342G.
Pics or description of your failure would be helpful.

Tom
Pics of the whole top of the engine to see where the lines are secured is the objective here. Those lines can/will vibrate and stainless is not good for fatigue. There is a 45 deg slice where they are brazed at the ends to reduce stress concentration, and fatigue issues.

RV-7
Lord Kelvin:
I often say that when you can measure what you are speaking about,
and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you
cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge
is of a meager and unsatisfactory kind.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:56 AM

Hi Bill---certainly, but I was more interested in the ops pics, to see if his lines were properly secured. Pretty sure his A&P is a great guy, but it wouldnt be the first time something got overlooked.

Tom
Proud Vendor for RV1, Donator to VAF
RV7 Tail Kit Completed, Fuse started-Pay as I go Plan
Ridgeland, SC
www.tsflightlines.com, www.asflightlines.com
Old 02-16-2021, 08:24 AM

Default Injection lines

Was the IA at a busy shop for years and occasionally found cracks in the solder joint where the SS line goes into the end fitting. Usually it would be a hairline crack and the line would get replaced before a real problem developed. This area needs a close look for cracks and how good the clamping hardware is working at inspection time. I would look at mine every time the top cowl came off. In the E/AB arena I’ve seen various deviations from how Lycoming wants these lines secured.

Don Broussard
RV9 Rebuild in Progress
57 Pacer
Old 02-16-2021, 08:37 AM

It happens.

Why do we still use hard lines here? Tom, is there an equivalent ID flex line?
-
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken #4.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	8427  Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked Injector Line 1000p.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	149.3 KB
ID:	8428  

Last edited by DanH : 02-16-2021 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:21 AM

Yep. I've broken one in flight as well. Called Don and replaced all the lines on both my airplanes after that.
WARNING! Incorrect design and/or fabrication of aircraft and/or components may result in injury or death. Information presented in this post is based on my own experience - Reader has sole responsibility for determining accuracy or suitability for use.

Michael Robinson
1984 L39C