-Advertise in here!
- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-09-2020, 01:08 PM

the biggest factor against garmin is their flat rate repair pricing, a bad button costs a much as a fried motherboard.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
We have an Avidyne IFD440 in our 172, and the annual data subscription for that device is $299 for the navdata, and I purchase it from Jeppesen.
My experience dealing with Jepp - since being taken over by Boeing - has not been great. When I bought my 420W Jepp was the sole source for nav data. Then Garmin started supplying it, and for less than Jepp. If you talked to a real person at Jepp, they would match Garminís price (specifically, they offered $440 but for 1.5 years). But last July, they refused to renew me under those terms. Iíd really like to know what Boeing management thinks itís doing.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
My experience dealing with Jepp - since being taken over by Boeing - has not been great. When I bought my 420W Jepp was the sole source for nav data. Then Garmin started supplying it, and for less than Jepp. If you talked to a real person at Jepp, they would match Garmin’s price (specifically, they offered $440 but for 1.5 years). But last July, they refused to renew me under those terms. I’d really like to know what Boeing management thinks it’s doing.
The $299/yr figure I quoted above is straight off their website, you can see it yourself. I obviously can't speak about your experience, but mine was as expected and reasonable. I was worried about it at first too, considering the reputation that Jepp has accumulated like a dirty portapotty over the years, but I was pleasantly surprised. We started that subscription in June this year.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-09-2020, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
We just want to clarify what the pricing structure looks like to keep the databases for a G3X Touch and GTN up to date. It is important to differentiate between the databases needed for the certified GTN IFR GPS Navigator, and the G3X Touch, they are purchased separately.

G3X Touch Databases

For aircraft operating in the United States, the G3X Touch databases can be updated for $49.99 a year, by purchasing the US Mini Database Bundle. This will update the Navigation database, Terrain Database, Obstacle Database, and Safetaxi database.

There are several supplemental databases available for the G3X Touch, including IFR en-route charts, VFR sectional charts, Airport directory and Garmin Flitecharts (procedure charts). These can be updated, along with the previously mentioned databases, for an additional $100 per year.

US Mini Database Bundle - $49.95

Or

US Database Bundle - $149.95

GTN 6XX/7XX Databases

The navigation database for the GTN 650 can be updated for $299.00 per year. You have the option of updating the other databases on the GTN 650, but the information that would be included would be identical to the information that exists in the G3X Touch supplemental databases, so many find it sufficient to update the Navigation database only.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin,
Are the G3X databases per aircraft or per screen?

All -
One of the things I was considering when I went with Garmin was the resale value. I would tend to think that a lot of people who didn't know a much about the subject would choose Garmin over Dynon just because they know the Garmin name or have experience with it in a G1000 Cessna or their car.

Personally, I think the Garmin displays/graphics are more professional looking. I was impressed with the brightness Dynon screens my buddy's plane.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
the biggest factor against garmin is their flat rate repair pricing, a bad button costs a much as a fried motherboard.
Agreed; the flat rate repair is the most frustrating thing in my mind with Garmin Avionics, and I would hope theyíd reconsider this pricing structure...but Iím not going to hold my breath.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n82rb View Post
Unfortunately for us, with the density of electronics in these units, the effort to replace a bad button makes it just as expensive as replacing the entire motherboard.

What Garmin should do is collect the "bad switch" electronics, repair them in their downtime, and sell them as refurbished units. Like they and other manufacturers do for other products. Then there would be a slightly cheaper option for anyone willing to use a refurbished unit.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
Unfortunately for us, with the density of electronics in these units, the effort to replace a bad button makes it just as expensive as replacing the entire motherboard.
Sorry, but that's just laughable on face value. It doesn't cost $1400 worth of labor to open the box and diagnose a bad button/switch.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
It doesn't cost $1400 worth of labor to open the box and diagnose a bad button/switch.
It is if people are willing to pay it. You may not agree or like it but apparently enough people are willing and that makes it a viable business option for them.
2021 Donation made
www.PuertoRicoFlyer.com

Last edited by GalinHdz : 11-10-2020 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:49 AM

Default Avidyne IFD Data Cost

I have an Avidyne IFD550 and a Garmin GTN650 in my RV-10 and this is what I pay for the databases per year:

• IFD550 Full USA NAV Data $299
  • GTN650 Full USA NAV Data $299
  • AFS/Dynon Map Database is free $0
  • Seattle Avionics VFR Sectional, IFR Low, Approach Plates, Airport Diagrams $99

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10
Old 11-10-2020, 03:04 PM

Default Database Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezburton View Post
Justin,
Are the G3X databases per aircraft or per screen?

All -
One of the things I was considering when I went with Garmin was the resale value. I would tend to think that a lot of people who didn't know a much about the subject would choose Garmin over Dynon just because they know the Garmin name or have experience with it in a G1000 Cessna or their car.

Personally, I think the Garmin displays/graphics are more professional looking. I was impressed with the brightness Dynon screens my buddy's plane.
Good Afternoon,

For the US mini database bundle, the cost is $49.95 for the aircraft, not per display.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.