Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-07-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.
and after all these years I thought I was the Advanced Flight Expert

Dynon-Advanced have a number of employee's that have built and currently fly RV's. We are currently building a RV-12 at Advanced as a company employee project that will turn onto an employee flying club.

We monitor VAF 7 days a week and I tend to answer emails almost immediately 7 days a week.

Rob Hickman
Advanced Flight Systems - Dynon Avionics
Old 11-07-2020, 08:47 PM

Here's my 2 centavos.

You can't go wrong with either direction. They are all excellent. However, for those who are COST SENSITIVE, the initial cost is only part of the equation.

Wiz boxes have to be constantly fed. One manufacturer is very expensive to keep a stacked panel current with all of the required data updates and upgrades. Another vendor is quite inexpensive. Over 10-20 years it makes a huge cost difference.
KITPLANES Contributing Editor
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxofswa View Post
Here's my 2 centavos.

You can't go wrong with either direction. They are all excellent. However, for those who are COST SENSITIVE, the initial cost is only part of the equation.

Wiz boxes have to be constantly fed. One manufacturer is very expensive to keep a stacked panel current with all of the required data updates and upgrades. Another vendor is quite inexpensive. Over 10-20 years it makes a huge cost difference.
This must one of these apples and oranges comparisons!
AirCam flying
Old 11-08-2020, 06:55 AM

Default Dynon for VFR

I have a VFR-only RV-12 with a Dynon Skyview. For VFR-only I especially appreciate that map updates are free. It's easy to use, as long as you buy the optional buttons and knobs panels.

If I was going IFR, I would go with Garmin. I LOVE Dynon's technical support, but for IFR I would want the complete system to be from the same company just for the sake of integration and consistent UI..

I also occasionally fly a G1000 equipped Skylane and personally find it to be lacking in a few small features (TRK mode in the A/P for example) that I have in the Skyview and it took me awhile to learn where all of the buttons and knobs are, and I still sometimes turn the outer knob when I needed the inner knob (and vice-versa), but for IFR it's fantastic.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

The Book: The PapaGolf Chronicles

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The Book: Schmetterling Aviation

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgamble View Post
. SNIP
If I was going IFR, I would go with Garmin. I LOVE Dynon's technical support, but for IFR I would want the complete system to be from the same company just for the sake of integration and consistent UI..
I often hear this concept of “get all Garmin for integration” and find it has little foundation in practice.

I now have built four SkyView system panels, each with the lone Garmin GTN-650 as the TSO IFR navigator. I find the integration of these to be as good as any full Garmin panel.

Look elsewhere for pro/cons on which way is right for you. The Dynon superb after the sale service and intuitive operation tips the scales for me.

Carl

Last edited by Carl Froehlich : 11-08-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I often hear this concept of “get all Garmin for integration” and find it has little foundation in practice.

I now have built four SkyView system panels, each with the lone Garmin GTN-650 as the TSO IFR navigator. I find the integration of these to be as good as any full Garmin panel.

Look elsewhere for pro/cons on which way is right for you. The Dynon superb after the sale service and intuitive operation tips the scales for me.

Carl
Agreed. I have the full Dynon suite in my plane, and Garmin 430W for the certified navigator. "Integrating" the two to play nice with each other was a non-event, and yes I do use it to fly IFR, including to minimums on many occasions. You run a handful of wires between the G-box and the ARINC 429 module, set the units up as per the manual and you're done.

Here is one big difference I find between Dynon and Garmin (or others) - Dynon's manual tells you how to set your G-box to play nice with Dynon - but Garmin won't tell you jack about how to interface with Dynon.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-08-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The fact that there's a g3xpert monitoring this site and NO DYxpert, ADVxpert, GRTxpert nor MGLxpert says something.
I think Ranier is associated with MGL in some way. Oh, yeah, it's his company.
Old 11-08-2020, 11:03 AM

Rainier has recently stepped away from this forum and no longer represents his company here. According to his company's forums (quoted below), he's written this forum off as a Garmin only community. Unfortunate that he feels that way because his presence was valuable here, as is discussion of his company's product line.

Quote:
MGL no longer has a presence on Van's forum and our accounts have been closed so I can no longer post on that Forum.
The considerable fees that needed to be paid where in the past paid by MGL Avionics in the U.S.
As it effectively became a Garmin forum we decided to pull out.
[ed. Nothing more than a past due invoice and that has been squared away as of a few days ago. It’s my understanding they will advertise again (I think this week) and be back in the forum. v/r,dr]
RV-9A #91081, C-GCPT
Dynon SkyView HDX, IO-320 and WW 200RV C/S. Flying as of August 6, 2018

Added GPS 175 and authorized for IFR April 1, 2021

Interactive map of all of my flights here

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 11-09-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:29 PM

I have been challenged privately to "put up or shut up" about my previous comment about data subscription costs.

A quick perusal from professor Google shows the following:

Annual published bundle subscription for Garmin/Jeppesen is $649

Annual published subscription price for Dynon/Seattle Avionics is $99

However, my personal subscription cost is $199 for LIFETIME which Seattle Avionics often offers on Black Friday.

Garmin and Dynon/Advanced both have phenomenal products. Better than most airliners. Friends who have GRT and MGL seem happy too. Hopefully the days of a Blue Mountain are over.

As mentioned before. IMO anyone doing cost planning should factor in update costs into their cost comparison. Everyone has their own objectives. Caveat emptor
KITPLANES Contributing Editor

Last edited by woxofswa : 11-08-2020 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:18 PM

My North America database bundle for my 430W is $549 annually - and I got the same lifetime offer for the Dynon IFR/VFR, but I remember it being $389 I think...

I have it in my airplane now, but with their predatory pricing I'll never buy another Garmin device - and when this one pukes it won't be repaired.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.

Last edited by airguy : 11-08-2020 at 08:20 PM.