camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Avionics / Interiors / Fiberglass > Glass Cockpit
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2020, 10:21 AM

Default EGT/CHT Gauges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I like having the CHT/EGT graph displayed on the PFD EIS strip. I'll stick with v8.71 for now.
+1 for allowing the user to configure the EIS strip in a future firmware upgrade.
Steve,

You can update your system to 8.72, leave the EIS / Engine Page Layout configuration setting to Combined , and nothing will change from your current EIS gauge layout/behavior. Regardless of what you have EIS / Engine Page Layout set to, it only affects the EIS strip while the ENG tab is open. Updating to 8.72 and changing the new setting to Separate will actually display your CHT/EGT gauges more often than it currently does with 8.71, as currently they disappear when you open the ENG tab.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM

g3xpert,

Curious why the certified version of the G3X is so many software revisions behind?
Old 09-14-2020, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
It is under development, as the FIS-B product package has expanded, we have had to make adjustments to facilitate the data transfer of all of the new products. There will be an update to the system to make this all happen over the RS232 datapath at some point, but for the time being, the newer products are limited to a Bluetooth connection.

You should only have to connect via Bluetooth once, rather than on each power cycle. If you are having to re-connect each time, give us a call at 1-866-854-8433, and we can help you set up the system to auto-reconnect when power is applied.

Thanks,

Justin
I did change the Bluetooth setting to get the new FIS-B weather data. Thanks

Would you ask you pilot team what average time to obtain FIS-B Cloud and Ice data when linked to Bluetooth?
AC 11 L1P- 18 years
Repairman Certificate
Old 09-14-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smt6 View Post
g3xpert,

Curious why the certified version of the G3X is so many software revisions behind?
Just guessing but probably because we are the Beta testers for the certified version
Old 09-15-2020, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-EDD View Post
Just guessing but probably because we are the Beta testers for the certified version
Exactly. I learned my lesson three years ago on installing the latest G3X Touch software. After that (and subsequent issues like the recent GTX 23ES debacle) I always stay one revision behind or at least give a new version a couple of months before even considering the update.
Old 09-15-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-EDD View Post
I guess that's okay given it's 1/3 of the price
RV-10 - Sold

Supporting VAF since the first visit
Old 09-24-2020, 11:13 AM

Default Possible issue with 8.72

Loaded 8.72 in my G3X touch. Then loaded my chart updates. Now I get Charts unavailable (the sectional charts). Everything else is normal. Have been trouble shooting this with the Garmin experts. Now I need to reload the 8.72 and see if that corrects it and if not I will need to reload an earlier version 8.61 and hopefully one of these will resolve the issue. I will update my results when I get to the hanger tomorrow for another round if which software works...
Old 09-24-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
Loaded 8.72 in my G3X touch. Then loaded my chart updates. Now I get Charts unavailable (the sectional charts). Everything else is normal. Have been trouble shooting this with the Garmin experts. Now I need to reload the 8.72 and see if that corrects it and if not I will need to reload an earlier version 8.61 and hopefully one of these will resolve the issue. I will update my results when I get to the hanger tomorrow for another round if which software works...
Have you perhaps loaded charts that are the next cycle? If so, they won't start working until the day the cycle starts. I did this, banged my head a bit over it. Basically, make sure you have the *current* cycle loaded as well.
RV-14A #140376
N196 (Flying)
2019 Bronze Lindy
Old 09-24-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by togaflyer View Post
I have 8.71 installed (I usually wait a couple weeks before loading new software) and have the same missing charts issue with this DB update (loaded today). Reloading the VFR/IFR charts from the old DB corrects the problem (with out-of-date charts - effective date was 9/10). I'll be contacting G3Xpert tomorrow.

UPDATE 3 hours later: I believe the mystery is solved - it has to do with fly garmin.com tool for building the download. In the website, beside VFR/IFR charts it says "all charts selected". When I clicked on this, I found no areas were selected (I believe perhaps the previous default disappeared, or perhaps this is a new interface option) so no charts were built into the download. Selecting them all and rebuilding the download solved the problem. If you have already uploaded new databases (in my case with "empty" files), you have to do a forced load - boot the G3X, place the DB card in the slot, <menu><menu> select "tools", "databases", <menu>, "update databases", then select only the VFR/IFR charts, then "update". ("empty" charts appear to load instantly whereas with data, the upload takes several minutes)

RV-14A Builder - kit #136
N314KC - First flight Mar 8, 2017, 24th in the air, >700 hrs
XP-400 Aero Sport Power, replaced with Lyc Thunderbolt 390
RV-6A sold
Sport Pilot (weight-shift control) - Airborne XT912
Dues paid 9/2020

Last edited by KeithB : 09-24-2020 at 10:07 PM. Reason: new information
Old 09-25-2020, 12:45 PM

Thanks Keith. I reloaded my charts double checking the maps were selected. Tomorrow I will take my army of SD’s loaded from charts all the way to 8.61. I will win this battle.

Update*******

Yep the Garmin charts did not load like they have over the last two years. Had to go in and highlight all those charts in fly garmin.
Keith thanks. And to the Garmin Experts thanks for talking the multiple calls and scratching your heads along with mine on this issue.

Last edited by togaflyer : 09-26-2020 at 07:07 AM.