Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-4
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Default You can see the bubbles

Installed Nylaflow brake lines an a customerís Pitts many years ago. I liked how easy it was to snake the tubing around the inside of the airplane and the landing gear. When I bled the system, I got good, normal brakes with no problems, but I could see a few bubbles thru the plastic. OK, just out of curiosity, I fooled with it until I got all the visible air out. The brakes were rock solid, which led me to wonder how much air Iíve been leaving in brake systems in the past that I could not see. I never heard any more about the airplane so I have no info on the long range results.
I WAS CAREFUL to use actual Nylaflow tube since the burst rating in regular nylon tubing is much lower, especially when it gets warm, like inside the wheel fairing. I think Nylaflow is OK, but Iíd never want to run it inside a wheel fairing unless there was some kind if cooling arrangement there. Our RV-6 has aluminum and AN plumbing. Iíve toyed with using Nylaflow inside the fuselage just to save a bit of weight and clutter, but couldn't figure out an easy way to transition to AN fittings downstream. Oh well, itís Ďway low priority.
Old 08-21-2020, 01:51 PM

I've had very good experience with Nylaflow brake lines and know of a few airplanes that have had them 20+ years. They can be protected from radiant heat with a little bit of firesleeve. Ferrules are a must.

It would be pretty easy to turn a brake piston out of stainless on a lathe and that would help keep heat out of the caliper.

Please don't PM me! Email only!

Bob Japundza CFI A&PIA
N9187P PA-24-260B Comanche, flying
N678X F1 Rocket, under const.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.