- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:08 PM

Default Pulling the trigger on Dynon HDX system

I'm ready to order the Dynon back-end components and the VPX Sport for my RV7 . Just to save money right now I'm not going to order anything yet that goes directly in the panel.
I have an RV7 slider with an AeroSport IO360-M1S and the Hartzell CS blended prop.

Have a couple of questions:

1. Does anyone have photos of their layout of the boxes on or near the sub-panel, with the VPX? Not sure about how to efficiently locate everything as far as wiring is concerned. I do plan on having two Coms.

2. I was thinking about putting the ADAHRS and the transponder in the Van's shelf (or something like it) just aft of the baggage area. My transponder and ADSB antennas are behind the baggage area. Any thoughts yay or nay?

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting to ask, but these are my big questions.

Thanks
McKinney, TX (T31)
http://smilinpete.com
Old 06-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Default Mock ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamike View Post
I'm ready to order the Dynon back-end components and the VPX Sport for my RV7 . Just to save money right now I'm not going to order anything yet that goes directly in the panel.
I have an RV7 slider with an AeroSport IO360-M1S and the Hartzell CS blended prop.

1. Does anyone have photos of their layout of the boxes on or near the sub-panel, with the VPX? Not sure about how to efficiently locate everything as far as wiring is concerned. I do plan on having two Coms.

2. I was thinking about putting the ADAHRS and the transponder in the Van's shelf (or something like it) just aft of the baggage area. My transponder and ADSB antennas are behind the baggage area. Any thoughts yay or nay?

I'm sure there's something else I'm forgetting to ask, but these are my big questions.

Thanks
I spent an evening making mock up cardboard boxes. The next day I was suprised.
I fabricated two shelves. They are mounted with hinges fore and aft between the panel and sub panel. They can swing down either way or completely removed easily.
wirejock at yahoo dot com
Donated 01/01/2021, plus a little extra.
RV-7A #73391, N511RV reserved (2,000+ hours)
HS SB, empennage, tanks, wings, fuse, working finishing kit
Disclaimer
I cannot be, nor will I be, held responsible if you try to do the same things I do and it does not work and/or causes you loss, injury, or even death in the process.
Old 06-15-2020, 09:39 AM

Check out the pictures on my website. Link below. Many pictures of how I laid out the components.
Victoria, TX
Old 06-15-2020, 10:53 AM

Look at the Advanced Flight AdvancedPanel installation manual https://www.advancedflightsystems.co...el-support.php It shows some recommended locations for the remote components, substituting the VPX for the ACM should get you close.

Dynon makes a tray that fits behind the HDX screen that they use for certified installations. It is shown in one of the recent virtual booth visits that are archived on youtube. The tray adds some flexibility if needed.

Terminal blocks mounted to the subpanel work well for connecting the dynon EFIS harness to each of the components, especially if you have a 2 screen system.

I don't know the answer, but if you mount the ADHARS and transponder on the same tray, will that cause issues with the magnetometer in the ADHARS (unless you are planning on using the remote magnetometer)?
Old 06-15-2020, 10:54 AM

Here's a way to defer buying the LRUs until later.

Make mockups of all the LRU's out of foam and use double sided tape to figure out where to put them.

You can make up your wiring harness with these in place before you spend the bucks for the components.

RV-7 Slider #74572
Started 11/2016
Empennage completed 11/2016 (sans fiberglass)
Ailerons and flaps completed 3/2017.
Wings completed 12/2017
Started on QB fuselage 01/2018
Sliding canopy mostly completed 10/2020
Wiring in progress
Donated for 2021 and so should you

Last edited by mfleming : 06-15-2020 at 10:56 AM. Reason: add content
Old 06-15-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papamike View Post

Thanks
I am building a RV8 so my avionic space is different than yours. I found the Dynon avionic equipment are very compact. I was able to fit all the transponder, radio, adsb-receiver, EMS, 10" efis, backup efis, and the various avionic equipment right behind the panel. The ADAHRS is the only equipment that is located at a distance to mitigate any magnetic interference. Also, by locating most equipment together, my wiring runs are easy to assemble, and easy to debug. The Dynon equipment communicates on the serial bus so longer wire runs may cause noise issue, but I haven't seen it yet. These digital equipment need a lot of wiring so plan out how to run your wiring looms if you locate your equipment far away from the main EFIS.

PM your email and I can send you my setup pictures.
Avionics Installation -- 90%
Firewall Forward -- Prep for cowl install
Electrical -- 90%

Donation paid through 2021
Old 06-15-2020, 03:53 PM

Default 3d print

I was thinking it would be cool to do a quick SolidWorks sketch of the remote components. Then 3D-print those buggers.

You could even get the mounting holes dead-on so the holes or nutplates could be ready to go when you pull the trigger.

Anybody tried that yet?
RV-10 #1750 - On Fuselage
http://n67sc.blogspot.com/
2020 Dues Paid