Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-9/9A
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2019, 12:13 PM

Default Installing a heated pitot in a built aircraft

Can anybody give me an idea of what it will take to install a heated pitot in an RV9 that is finished and flying? My airplane currently has the Vans small aluminum tubing for a pitot. I know about the circuit breaker.
Thanks
Old 04-25-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALagonia View Post
Can anybody give me an idea of what it will take to install a heated pitot in an RV9 that is finished and flying? My airplane currently has the Vans small aluminum tubing for a pitot. I know about the circuit breaker.
Thanks
No big deal.

The installation depends what's at the other end and what pitot you purchase.

The pitot attaches to the same tube that your current one does. Then depending on the brand, you'll need to run some power to it. Some brands have controllers, some don't. Some also include an AOA feature. If you aren't using this to feed AOA, then make sure that line gets capped. It will drive the person doing the pitot/static cert crazy otherwise. You'll have to cut a hole for the pitot mount. Most of the experimental ones use the Gretz mount or something similar. Many of the EFIS vendors will sell a pitot that may have unique features that are supported on their EFIS.

You've got an AFS 4500, correct? I would recommend the Dynon heated pitot.
Old 04-25-2019, 04:19 PM

Thank you Bob. Always extremely helpful.
Old 04-25-2019, 05:14 PM

Default Pitot tube

There is an easier way to mount the tube - install it in the inspection plate, with care you can also add the ‘heater unit’ on the same panel. This makes it easier to service if needed eg remove blockages.
I have done many this way & allows painting & temporary storage & transportation of the wings without the fear of damaging a protruding mount getting in the way.

Last edited by jakej : 04-25-2019 at 05:16 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakej View Post
There is an easier way to mount the tube - install it in the inspection plate, with care you can also add the ?heater unit? on the same panel. This makes it easier to service if needed eg remove blockages.
I have done many this way & allows painting & temporary storage & transportation of the wings without the fear of damaging a protruding mount getting in the way.
Very interesting alternative. Thank you
Old 04-26-2019, 04:27 PM

Default question

Quote:
There is an easier way to mount the tube - install it in the inspection plate, with care you can also add the ?heater unit? on the same panel. This makes it easier to service if needed eg remove blockages.
I am also going to have to do this to finished wings as well. When you do that on the inspection plate did you just plug the old hole? If so what did you use?
Old 04-26-2019, 05:05 PM

I am not sure if installing the pitot tube in the inspection plate would be great idea. For one thing, each time you remove the inspection plate to inspect things, you will need to disconnect and reconnect all the plumbing (both electrical and pitot tube). But the other issue is that there are a bit of force on the pitot tube/mast and the inspection plate is held by #8 screw which I believe is most common size for cracks to develop if/when dimpled or not adequate edge distance is there. This makes it even worse if you are going to use a doubler since it will make it stiffer .

Lastly, you will need to consider if this will bring the pitot tube into the prop wash. I don?t think it will as there is an inspection plate very close to the original location of the pitot, but just keep that in mind as you are making changes.

Just my 2 cents
Dues paid
Old 04-26-2019, 07:00 PM

What about getting power to the pitot? I know my fuel tank is in the way and the conduit is stuffed with strobe wires, AOA and Pitot tubes. I would love to change my unheated for heated.
Roseville, Ca
Old 04-26-2019, 08:32 PM

I am looking at adding a heated as well, friend of mine has done this on the inspection plate; very certain he split the plate so the pitot tube doesn?t need to come out during inspection plate removal.

RV8 N189DK
RV10 in progress
Old 04-26-2019, 09:06 PM

Quote:
There is an easier way to mount the tube - install it in the inspection plate, with care you can also add the ‘heater unit’ on the same panel. This makes it easier to service if needed eg remove blockages.
I would question whether the inspection plate would be strong enough to support the pitot over the long haul. Most Pitot masts that I have seen tie into the rivet flange on the spar for the bulk of their lateral support, in addition to using the skin in close proximity to a web for additional support and rigidity. There is enough force involved here that one version of mast was breaking welds until they beefed it up. Can't see how a small unsopported sheet of .032 is going to get it done unless some sort of doubler is used that is carried to the spar based screws. However, as mentioned above, the inspection plates don't have proper edge distance for their holes. No issue for the designed purpose, but a big problem when you hang a 1/4 - 1/2 pound implement on it with a 6" leverage arm.

It's not that hard to add a pitot mast in the proper location, even laying on your back for an installed wing.

Larry

Last edited by lr172 : 04-26-2019 at 09:21 PM.