- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 02-07-2021, 05:15 AM

Default Lighting Bus GRAPH feature

I want to backlight my Annunciator Lights / Push Buttons with one of the GAD27 PWM Lighting Bus outputs.
I am going to controll the avionics backlighting with a single potentiometer.

1. In the pot's OFF position the avionics has authority to use it's own photocell. (DAY operation)

In this position I want the Annunciator lights to use full brightness.

2. As I rotate the pot out of the OFF position and Voltage builds up, the avionic's backlight is now force controlled by the lighting bus input/output.

Once the pot is moved out of the 'DAY' or OFF position (NIGHT ops) I want the Annunciator lights to go to 60% dim.

As I understand from the G3X manual, this is not possible as the green curve can only go up. I would like to be able to set the curve as depicted in magenta:

RV-10 in progress
Build Log

Last edited by supik : 02-09-2021 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Annunciator Lights / Push Buttons instead of Switches
Old 02-12-2021, 06:13 AM

Default Some suggestions -

For the Garmin crew -

A trim-in-motion audio annunciation would be helpful, especially with autotrim enabled. RV control forces are light enough that some unintended stick force could cause the autopilot to run the trim to its limit - its happened to me once in roll. A disconnect at that point, especially in pitch, could be interesting.

Also, on the Audio Panel Configuration page could the Alert 1-4 labels be made editable, or if not, could a configurable label field be added so that it's clear which input is connected to them without referring to a schematic?

I'm lovin' the G3X Touch system...keep the great stuff coming!

Dave
RV-7 N701ED FLYING!
Nashua, NH (KASH)
Old 02-16-2021, 11:15 PM

Default G3X interoperability with Navigator

I wish the G3X could change flight plans on the Navigators. The IPad with ForeFlight is able to add SID, preferred routing STARS, approaches and modify active flight plans. The G3X has less capability in that sense. I need to set the unit on Internal GPS and still does not allow for standard procedures or full approaches via the IAF. Once reverting to external GPS, the flight plan is sent over the navigator but the G3X can no longer modify it.

In contrast, I can have an IPad with a 3rd party App and it will continuously allow for adding or modifying a flight plan and send it to the Navigators. A message pops up to accept the new changes. If modifying anything on the navigator, the IPad pops up a message asking if you want to accept the new routing from the navigator.

If an IPad with a 3rd party app can seamlessly work with the 375, why can't the G3X. A competitor portable device currently provides a much reduced workload and better cockpit workflow than my dual G3X touch.

I wish the G3X could integrate better and allow full crossfill to the 375. A similar process could be integrated with messages to ensure the flight plan modification are accepted prior to going into the navigator. Switching the G3X to its internal GPS makes no sense IFR and actually increases your workload. The G3X should at the very least be able to do what ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, Aera 760 can do. All these units are a fraction of the cost of the G3X Touch.

For those thinking of getting a Dual G3X setup with the intent of one screen being used as a MFD to create, modify or activate items on your navigator, it currently does not work. You are better off with a IPad/FF setup as your second screen or perhaps the 760 which is a fraction of the cost of the G3X.

I have sent my comments to Garmin and so far dissapointed with their replied. Absolutely love my panel but sad to see an IPad FF combo being a more powerful IFR tool than my second G3X.

Hom

F1 Harmon Rocket
@hom409 Instagram / Tiktok
CF18 and F1 Rocket
Will fly anything 🤙😎
Cold Lake, AB
Canada
Old 02-16-2021, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hom409 View Post
I wish the G3X could change flight plans on the Navigators. The IPad with ForeFlight is able to add SID, preferred routing STARS, approaches and modify active flight plans. The G3X has less capability in that sense. I need to set the unit on Internal GPS and still does not allow for standard procedures or full approaches via the IAF. Once reverting to external GPS, the flight plan is sent over the navigator but the G3X can no longer modify it.

In contrast, I can have an IPad with a 3rd party App and it will continuously allow for adding or modifying a flight plan and send it to the Navigators. A message pops up to accept the new changes. If modifying anything on the navigator, the IPad pops up a message asking if you want to accept the new routing from the navigator.

If an IPad with a 3rd party app can seamlessly work with the 375, why can't the G3X. A competitor portable device currently provides a much reduced workload and better cockpit workflow than my dual G3X touch.

I wish the G3X could integrate better and allow full crossfill to the 375. A similar process could be integrated with messages to ensure the flight plan modification are accepted prior to going into the navigator. Switching the G3X to its internal GPS makes no sense IFR and actually increases your workload. The G3X should at the very least be able to do what ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, Aera 760 can do. All these units are a fraction of the cost of the G3X Touch.

For those thinking of getting a Dual G3X setup with the intent of one screen being used as a MFD to create, modify or activate items on your navigator, it currently does not work. You are better off with a IPad/FF setup as your second screen or perhaps the 760 which is a fraction of the cost of the G3X.

I have sent my comments to Garmin and so far dissapointed with their replied. Absolutely love my panel but sad to see an IPad FF combo being a more powerful IFR tool than my second G3X.

Hom
Agree 100%. This is the most common complaint I see all over the internet. Garmin ought to be able to fix this.

Earn money plane: A320
Spend money plane: Sling TSi
Old 03-28-2021, 05:04 PM

Default MASTER WARN & CAUTION Lights

Unless I missed something in the manuals, I would like to be able to extinguish the Master Warning and Caution lights by touching/confirming the CAS message.

The warning lights are good attention catchers but will become a distraction if they cannot be turned off.

Further, the Warning light (after cancelling) should come on again whenever a new fault is detected by CAS.

RV-10 in progress
Build Log
Old 03-28-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supik View Post
Unless I missed something in the manuals, I would like to be able to extinguish the Master Warning and Caution lights by touching/confirming the CAS message.

The warning lights are good attention catchers but will become a distraction if they cannot be turned off.

Further, the Warning light (after cancelling) should come on again whenever a new fault is detected by CAS.
Iíve been wishing for this for a while. Wait until you catch one of those lights on at night and destroy your night vision. Canít turn it off, canít dim it. They are a menace!

So yeah, garminfolk, please please consider this request. Major quality of life improvement!
Old 03-28-2021, 07:47 PM

Default Master/caution light

+1 for a master/caution light cancel/acknowledge button. Would like to have the option to install a momentary button or switch to acknowledge the warning.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaTango View Post
+1 for a master/caution light cancel/acknowledge button. Would like to have the option to install a momentary button or switch to acknowledge the warning.
It would just have to be programmable as a function for a discrete input.
Old 03-28-2021, 09:44 PM

I rarely install MC/MW lights, the warning messages are already displayed on the PFD so more lights seem unnecessary IMO, and they dim with the screen brightness.

EXP Aircraft Services LLC
Specializing in RV Condition Inspections, Maintenance, Avionics Upgrades
Dynamic Prop Balancing, Pitot-Static Altmeter/Transponder Certification
FAA Certified Repair Station, AP/IA/FCC GROL, EAA Technical Counselor
Authorized Garmin G3X Dealer/Installer
RV7A built 2004, 1900+ hrs, New Titan IO-370, Bendix Mags
Website: ExpAircraft.com, Email: walt@expaircraft.com, Cell: 972-746-5154
Old 04-02-2021, 09:21 AM

Default G3X Database Updates - Allow Copy to Multiple SD Cards

In order to update my G3X database info every month, since I have 3 GDUs I typically write the update to 3 duplicate SD cards so that I can have all 3 GDUs update at the same time. However, I have found that I can not copy all the files from one SD card to another, as the copied cards don't work. So I have to install the update files to each SD card using FlyGarmin for Windows, and each time FlyGarmin downloads all the database files from the internet prior to writing them to the SD Card.

Why can't this process be revised to allow the database just downloaded to be used to write to multiple SD card in succession? The FlyGarmin software could check the date of download to be sure the database is up-to-date prior to writing it to the duplicate SD cards. This will save me at least a half hour every month when I create 3 duplicate database SD cards for my 3 GDUs.

Thanks

RV-10 First Flight April 1, 2020. Phase 1 Complete
2021 VAF Dues Paid (plus a little more)