Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Activity Specific > Trip Write-ups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 07:21 PM

Talking 2014 -----Alaska, first encounter.

I started planning a trip to Alaska two years ago. First time the life was on the way, second time - a job transition. NOW or NEVER I said to myself. Took a vacation plus some unpaid time, loaded my plane with all kinds of gear a pilot could imagine (except a thing I really needed) and launched.

Launched a day ahead of my schedule. My Chief Meteorologist Rocky literally pushed me out of the nest. A big hurricane was heading to East Coast and there were already some buildups. Come on Russki he said, fly to Lansing MI, spend a night at my place then go your way in nice weather. He also mentioned something about food and gas...

In an hour or so I had to land at Deck PA 9D4 to wait till front passes.

It's a real countryside there with proper smell.

T-storm dissipated and I was on the way again. There was some lower visibility by Cleveland OH then by Detroit everything was nice and rosy. 3 hours later I landed at Lansing MI.

These are island on Lake Erie Put-in-Bay being the major one. I landed on all of them a year ago.

Great dinner followed by a good night sleep. Then Rocky dispatched me with father's blessing...

Air over Lake Michigan was very smooth on 4th of July. Somewhere in the middle of the Lake the engine ran a bit rougher. The roughness was immediately cured by a half turn of red knob in. Those who flew over water know what I am talking about.

These stacks look familiar.

A year ago.

On the other side of the Great Lake I landed on an airport hoping to get some mogas. But it was too early on a holiday and pumps were locked. I had plenty of fuel and pressed farther...

Не имей сто рублей, а имей сто друзей.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 PM

One memorable airport in Minnesota. Not because the pumps are locked and manager is two hours away.

But because of a thick talmood on the counter where all pilots registered since 1961. I put my autograph there too.

For gas I proceeded to Pipestone MN. It has two runways guess on which one I landed.

It was getting hot even at an altitude when I crossed into North Dakota. Tracked Missouri river for half an hour trying to locate a landing strip by a swimming hole with no luck. All beaches were too far it's one of them.

Another hour and I was on the ground at Hazen, ND. With a nice place to rest at the airport and a crew van.

And this was Day One.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Well rested I started another day. The plan was to track Missouri River as far west as I can. Silky smooth air with great visibility added much enjoyment.

Early beachgoers.

And then there were oil rigs. An Army Rig.

A Navy well.

A rig of the AirForce.

A haliburton was digging in. Not a single person visible on site.

Have you ever tried to fly through the flame? Me neither. They say you would feel a good bump...

These riggers are smart. In case they drain all the oil they would switch to conolla.

Last edited by Vlad : 07-20-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:43 PM

Followed Missouri River over an hour. Was so captivated with views and completely forgot about liquid management.

Here comes the biggest oily town of Williston.

Time to land I guess there would be no airports with washrooms for a good hundred miles. This quick P-stop almost cost me 30 bucks. But it was on Sunday and
the front desk was managed by very bright and capable young people. They surely cared about reputation of their business. By the time I left the restroom and got my credit
card out to pay the fee they smiled, waived the fee and let me go. Good people. They even asked what kind of airplane mine was...

The runway was intruded with strange rodents. They looked like sousliks of Kazakhstan. The beasts didn't care about mighty RV roaring on take off.

Good bye Oily Town of Williston.

Time to take a nap. Picturesque Fort Peck Lake is an hour away...

Dreamed of vineyards.

Woke up by a dam. Pillars are deceiving you can't fit between them but you can land on a bed behind it if you suddenly encounter carb ice.

Very impressive shoreline.

Last edited by Vlad : 07-20-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 PM

Hays MOA was cold so I had all that airspace for myself. Still tracking Missouri River westbound...

It was turbulent in the canyon but no so over it.

A cabin Alaska style.

Landing sites.

A lot of caves. Larry how you hear?

My fuel was approaching reserves and I chose to land at Big Sandy MT. An airport with new long runway, cheap fuel and functional pump. The rest was a kind of dilapidated.

There was no running water at the FBO and I used a survival kit to wash my hands they were black from the pump hose.

Within 1/4 mile of the airport there was a gas station and a cafe. I was about to go there but quick teletype check yielded a better result. "RUSSIAN COME TO MISSOULA THERE IS FREE FOOD FOR YOU"
messaged JackM from WA. And to Missoula I went, hoping to get confirmation in the air...

Last edited by rv7boy : 07-21-2014 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Changed "MO" to "MT" abbreviation for Montana
Old 07-19-2014, 09:52 PM

Reserved for tomorrow's thoughts.... Been a long day, wedding, Texas, drinking, dancing ect good night.

back to ct and totally enjoying vmans flying adventure. i still believe we have some of the best flying in the good old usa. such variety. can't wait for the good stuff. fly on comrade.
Stuart, Fl / S WINDSOR,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - under major repair from hurricane damage
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg

Last edited by turbo : 07-21-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
The runway was intruded with strange rodents. They looked like sousliks of Kazakhstan. The beasts didn't care about mighty RV roaring on take off.
Those would be Dakrats...
http://www.minot.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123143274
Old 07-20-2014, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
Woke up by a dam. Pillars are deceiving you can't fit between them but you can land on a bed behind it if you suddenly encounter carb ice.
C'mon Vlad, clue us in how you found out they're too narrow!

My Flickr gallery: http://www.flickr.com/photos/35521362@N06/

RV-9A - Finished on 10th February 2016 after 4 years, 9 months and 19 days! The 1020th RV-9 flying.

First flight 26th March 2016. Essential specs 145KTAS @ 2400RPM, 8000', 24.2LPH, Initial RoC 1800FPM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:24 PM
Forum Peruser

Smile What a Country!

Vlad, your photos and comments remind me of the Russian comedian, Yakov Smirnoff. His favorite saying is, "What a country!" when referring to his experiences in the United States. Maybe you could write a book about your travels in your RV and call it, "What a Country!"
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/ADS-B In and Out...and I like it!

?Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard
Old 07-21-2014, 05:13 AM

Thanks for the reports and pics Vlad. Myra and I are planning to go on a cruise to Alaska nest July or August. Keep the info coming.