Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 06-23-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff A View Post
Jim,

Thank you for the quick response on my ADS-B report. I'm happy to find out my system is working perfectly.

Is there any plan to make a database for the ADS-B performance that is accessible through the internet in a fashion similar to how RVSM Height Monitoring Flights are listed/updated? Seems like it would be easier for everyone involved to simply be able to look up their N-Number or Hex code.

Thanks for all your help.
We are looking at possible ways to make the information available. The tool (aka ADS-B Compliance Monitor) is still under development & likely two years from being fully operational. In the interim, I'm considering posting a daily list of tail numbers with system faults (Red). If your tail number isn't on the list for a given day you can assume you were good (green), but if it is on the list you'd still need to email me & request a report for specific faults. Not ideal, but would at least let you know if troubleshooting were successful without an email exchange.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm117 View Post
We are looking at possible ways to make the information available. The tool (aka ADS-B Compliance Monitor) is still under development & likely two years from being fully operational. In the interim, I'm considering posting a daily list of tail numbers with system faults (Red). If your tail number isn't on the list for a given day you can assume you were good (green), but if it is on the list you'd still need to email me & request a report for specific faults. Not ideal, but would at least let you know if troubleshooting were successful without an email exchange.
Good idea, I'd be checking. Thanks for doing this.
Airport committee chair & ASNV for Seaside, OR Municipal (56S), www.seasideairport.org
Donated August 2020
Old 10-30-2014, 11:19 AM

Default stevervb spokane rv8

I have installed Ads b in and out using 430 wass and the report back was only red on the VAL whatever that is. ... I am seeing all transponder traffic when above 1500 ft I think...does anyone know what this red is about? VAL is .78
Old 10-30-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevervb View Post
I have installed Ads b in and out using 430 wass and the report back was only red on the VAL whatever that is. ... I am seeing all transponder traffic when above 1500 ft I think...does anyone know what this red is about? VAL is .78
Multiple questions:
What ADS-B unit do you have and is it connected correctly?
Has your 430W software been upgraded to provide the correct output?
Is your equpiment configured correctly?

There are more questions depending on the answers to these.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:39 PM

Val is an indication of ADS-B position validation using one of two methods: time-distance of arrival; or radar (if available). ADS-B position report validation using radar is proving difficult, especially during turns given radar's 8-15 second sweep rate. I've already had eVal reporting discontinued for the same reason (validation via primary radar exclusively). Resolving Val reporting issue in the compliance check process will take some time. Until then, avionics performance reports with Val issues identified will be analyzed manually to determine compliance and if our reply to your ADS-B system check indicates compliance you're all set even with a report flagged for Val.

Hope this helps.

Jim
Old 10-30-2014, 02:43 PM

Default E-VAL due to turns?

Quote:
Val is an indication of ADS-B position validation using one of two methods: time-distance of arrival; or radar (if available). ADS-B position report validation using radar is proving difficult, especially during turns given radar's 8-15 second sweep rate...

Jim
If RADAR is losing you in a turn, it would seem that would more likely be a function of your decreased RADAR cross-section in the turn, vs. the implied slow sweep rate of the RADAR. Our E-3 RADAR rotates at 6 RPM (10 second updates) which is pretty standard for "search" RADARS, and tracks GA a/c quite well whether turning or not. I need to read up a lot more on ADS-B; so I ask this question from a point of ignorance: wouldn't a unit's internal positional accuracy that it transmits out be based more on how may GPS satellites it was seeing, vs. an ASR RADAR return?

Doug
ADS-B Neophyte!
Old 10-31-2014, 09:49 AM

Radar is used as an independent check of the reported ADS-B position. In other words, if the ADS-B system thinks it's telling the truth, it will report that it's telling the truth even if it's lying. Radar (TDOA or passive ranging) is used as a lie detector for ADS-B reported positions.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Radar is used as an independent check of the reported ADS-B position. In other words, if the ADS-B system thinks it's telling the truth, it will report that it's telling the truth even if it's lying. Radar (TDOA or passive ranging) is used as a lie detector for ADS-B reported positions.
Good information to know.

Old 11-04-2014, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Ah...that now makes perfect sense...thanks for the added information!

Doug
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM

Default NavWorx ADS600-exp

Following this thread with much interest as I would like to get ADS-B out but can't afford it. Just wondering is anyone using the NavWorx ADS600-EXP box with an older mode C transponder and transmonspe? or a new mode S transponder? I'm a little confused about all the technical data, but does your system report come back okay, so you can use it till 2020?

Thanks,

Bryan