What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Average age of builder??

macintron

Last Friday I picked up my empenage kit from VANS and one of the guys helping me load the crate onto the truck commented that I was one of the youngest builders to pick up a kit. Having been around aviation since '05 has made me come to terms that I am usually younger than most
of the pilots. As I venture into this crazy world of AB airplanes I am seeing the same trend.

So the question....
How old where you when you first started your project?

Why didn't you start it sooner? Finances? Space? Spouce not approving? You haven't reached the proper level of craziness to build your own plane?

is 18 young?

I feel like Ive missed out on building younger :D

I am 18 started back August 2011, sometimes hard to juggle building, flying, instrument training, highschool, sports all together but I make time. (I managed to do it freshman/sophmore year with my PPL)

I always feel like I am never doing enough in the Flying world, this project however is going to be one that is a "extra money" project. Hoping to have it done 2 years out of college!

Side note: Great Idea for a thread!

Last edited:
Young is a state of mind...

I got my PPL in 2005 at the age of 31 and started my RV-10 project last year at the tender age of 37. Would I have liked to get into plane flying/building at a younger age? YOU BET! However, money and time are things that are hard to come by as a youngin' (usually money more than time). Sounds like you've got a jump on most of us. Good for you. The aviation world sure needs more young people, and GA aviation needs them now more than ever! Share your experiences with everyone you can, and spread the good word of aviation.

So I guess your asking when did you start building.. you never really finish. I started at 35 Money/Time was the trigger. You need both to start and they both disappear quickly!

Got my PPL at 27, started building at 36. Should have done both 10 years earlier...

received

PPL at 19, restored Ercoupe at 22, many tube and fabric aircraft until age 39 which I then started the 8A now im 44.

PPL @ 24 am 47 now and started building in 2010. I waited till the kids were grown. I would have missed out on a lot of family time with the kids if I was building back then.

So I guess your asking when did you start building.. you never really finish. I started at 35 Money/Time was the trigger. You need both to start and they both disappear quickly!
Just like flying... building is a lifestyle change.

As for me I always wanted to be a pilot when I grew up. In college the opportunity presented itself and went for it. So I got my PPL at 19 while working two jobs to pay for it, fulltime engineering student, team capatain of the school's water polo team and board member of the school's flying club.

Moral of the story is if I set my mind to achieving my dream I will find a way to accomplish it.

Haven't started building yet, still inventorying it. But close enough :]

I started flying airplanes at the age of 16....by the time I had 17, I had aquired my PPL...
As for building airplanes, I started around the age of 18....worked for a kit aircraft company! Now studying A&P and finishing it at the end of May!

I just started building myself an RV-9A and as of now I am 22... so I guess I must be in the youngest guys out here! loll

Age Is Only A Number

By a curious twist of fate, I had to wait until I retired from the Air Force to learn how to fly. But since I figure I'll live until I'm 135 (or until the day before my 62d birthday this year...12/21/12) I'm not worrying about the calendar.

I got my ppl sometime in my 40's (mid 90s). I'd been flying hang gliders since my late 20's but my knees, which never were great, were taking a beating and I didn't want to upgrade to titanium landing gear, so I quit flying for while. I really missed flying and on a whim stopped at the local airport and took a lesson, which led to the ppl.

As for building, I started in 03 at age 52. I took a few years off from building - you know "life intervened" but I'm back at it now and expect I'll see my 9A fly when I'm 61 (this summer). I probably would have build a 6A back in the late 80's, when I had the time and the money and no spouse to approve or disapprove but I didn't know about Van's, the EAA etc.

From the looks of things I'm the oldest guy to respond but I can't imagine that's anywhere near the case. And while no one asked, I'm seriously considering becoming a repeat offender after the 9A is done.

Building in 3 decades

I started my RV-8 in March, 1998 at the age of 48 and flew it for the first time July 3, 2011. Building spanned my late 40's, 50's and early 60's. It was worth the long build, which i enjoyed almost as much as I love flying it. Now, what kind of Experimental LSA to build?

PPL at 28 started RV build at 29. Didnt know I loved aviation until recently (didnt grow up around any aviation influences really) otherwise I probably would have started sooner.

I earned my PPL at age 18 when I was a senior in High School. I subsequently became a CFI and started building my RV-7 at age 23. I'm now 25 and about to start on the Canopy. Last year I married and have a goal of finishing the airplane before having kids. I think I'll be 50 years old when I finish it if we don't wait :D

Started building an RV-6 with my dad when i was 9. never finished that one. started another RV-6 with my dad when i was 11. never finished that one either. Started my own RV-10 in 2007 at 29 didnt finish that one either. bought a partial RV-8 kit in 2009 at 31 didnt finish that one either. gave up on building and bought a completed RV-8. started flying as a passenger with dad at age 8. PPL at 19. Comm,CFI, CFII,MEI at 22.

one of these days I will start a project and finish it. maybe.....

So far it looks like I'm the oldest !!!!

Got the books and started studying when I was fourteen :confused:, but then I got a girlfriend ;), then married :eek:, then a family :), then got them educated :eek:, then started my own business :cool:, then thinking about retirement :rolleyes:. decided it's time to learn to fly and build my own plane :D.

Started the build of the 9a three weeks before my 68th birthday. Got my licence four months later. I've just celebrated my 70th birthday and have been flying the 9a for nine months now :D:D.

Bob

I got to get back to the RV12 group where I am one of the younger ones. PPL in 1987, started my build last year at age 73. Thought that was old, but not so among the RV12 group. Having so much fun, am already planning for my next build!

I started taking lessons at 16 but quit because of the lack of funds. Got my PPL at 44 and started my RV-9A at 53. First flight when I was 59 and that was 8 months ago. Flying again at 60 and wish I could have done it years earlier.

PPL age 20, started my 6a 2001 first fight 5/2007, Currently a flying -7a and a -6a project. At age 75, loving everything RV and VAF in particular...

Just like flying... building is a lifestyle change.

Moral of the story is if I set my mind to achieving my dream I will find a way to accomplish it.

Thats what I live by everyday! Everyone should. Started age: 15, Solo: 16, PPL: 17, Building 18.

Instead of working summer jobs to but those cool car seats a usual high schooler guy looks for, ehhhh I liked flying a bit more! (I could car less about a car as long as it works)

I don't Agree with the fluff for life approach

I was in basic training at Lackland AFB when I was 17. Everything has a time and survival came w-a-a-a-a-a-a-y ahead of such trivial things as learning to fly and building an airplane. I started flying lessons at 44 and started building our RV-6A at 60.

Bob Axsom

My wife and I have been flying for 20 years and have owned an airplane the entire time. My Dad decided to join us along the way being an ex-WWII pilot. When we both retired last year, my dad and I decided we needed a project. We decided to build an RV-10 for us to travel in and to keep me from going crazy bored with retirement, or worse, driving my wife crazy. I am 60, my Dad is going to be 88 in Feb. Yes, he still passes his FAA medical!:D

I think he has everyone beat for the oldest!

IMG_2239.jpg

I'm 28 years old...I started training just before 9-11 and got my PPL around 2002. My dad turned me on to RV's and I started building in July of 2008. Still not done but im surely addicted.

Started flying at 14, First Solo on my 15th birthday, PPL on my 16th Birthday, Competition Aerobatics took all my funds until I was 21 and Started the 7, now a year in the Sandbox is causing a great delay. 5 more months.......

Started flying lessons at 64, started building RV9 at 67, finished PPL at 73, RV9 still not finished. I'm claiming the oldest (so far)! And, yes I I guess I'm slow.:)

Got the books and started studying when I was fourteen :confused:, but then I got a girlfriend ;), then married :eek:, then a family :), then got them educated :eek:, then started my own business :cool:, then thinking about retirement :rolleyes:. decided it's time to learn to fly and build my own plane :D.

Started the build of the 9a three weeks before my 68th birthday. Got my licence four months later. I've just celebrated my 70th birthday and have been flying the 9a for nine months now :D:D.

Bob

Good for you Bob!!!

I was alot younger when I started my 8 and will be alot older when I finish it

But enjoying every minute of it.

Rob

As pilotian

As pilotian I began my 8 at 18. It is not really easy to find working hours as I study 100 miles away of my RV8 but after two years of "week ends and holidays" building, I believe I'm going to fly it this summer. :)

86 Started flying, (Twin Oaks Airpark,) gravel strip back then.

lived near Van and started getting into RV's with friends.

87 Got married

88 Had the first baby

RV4 would not hold the family.

89 moved to general aviation 4 seat Cessnas and Pipers.

92 Got into ultralights. Had a dealership. Fun, but.... Sold Business.

Cessna 172, flying club. 4 seats for the family.

Watched Van/s business go through many changes.

Raised family, kids gone. Did not need 4 seats any more. (empty nesters)

Got into copters. Got out of copters. Slow and Expensive!

Got back into General Aviation Piper's. Too slow and boring. Got out.

Got back into RV aircraft. (Many more models to pick from.)

Done two so far. RV6 & RV7. Nothing but fun!

The RV8 may be next.

86 Started flying

87 Got married

88 Had the first baby

RV4 would not hold the family.

89 moved to general aviation 4 seat Cessnas and Pipers.

92 Got into ultralights. QUOTE]

WOW! Started flying at 86, married at 87, baby at 88, ultralights at 92!!:eek:
I'll have whatever HE'S drinkin!!! :D :D :D

I started pilot training in college in the 1970's, but found out how expensive it was for a college student with little money, so I took up skydiving instead. (I actually got college P.E. credit for the class!) 450+ jumps made before family and raising kids took over. Now with an empty nest, wanted to get back into aviation. Skydiving still sounds fun, but I'd be doing it alone. My wife wants to travel with me, so an aircraft is highly desirable!

Started my RV-7A 5 yrs ago at age 52. Still don't have my PPL, but I don't see a problem. I'll finish the RV and then get it. I hope to use my RV for a lot of my training/hours!

OLDISH

Age started: 58.

Why delayed:
Drafted at 20 for a 1970/71 tour of the two way shooting range in SE Asia.
Flying at tax payers expense until retirement.
one military income, one wife, four kids, lots of fun, limited time & space.

Age finished: 64.

Why build prolonged:
still having fun, particularly with grandkids.

GPL - 16
PPL - 17
CPL - 18
Tools - 20
RV-8 Tail - 21

Why didn't I start any sooner? -- Finances.

I have all the time in the world, but not all the money in the world ;)

Last edited:
Student license 1958 21 yrs old
PPL 1968 31 years old
Bought C-150 1969 sold in 1970
Bought C-170-B 1970 Still owned and flown
Finished 1ST proj RV-6 2001 completed @ 62 yrs old
Finished 2nd proj RV-7 2005 completed @ 68 yrs old
Finished 3rd proj RV-10 2008 completed @ 71 yrs old
Finished 4th proj RV-9A 2011 completed @ 73 yrs old

Now 74 and still flying the 170 and RV-7 regularly.. Have 800 hours on RV-7 since complete. hope to go for another 20-30 years.. My Mother is 104:D

Ed Booth

Back