Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 11-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxofswa View Post
I have been challenged privately to "put up or shut up" about my previous comment about data subscription costs.

A quick perusal from professor Google shows the following:

Annual published bundle subscription for Garmin/Jeppesen is $649

Annual published subscription price for Dynon/Seattle Avionics is $99

However, my personal subscription cost is $199 for LIFETIME which Seattle Avionics often offers on Black Friday.
This isn't even close to correct. The equivalent Garmin subscription is $149.99
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/de...tabase-pricing

If you want the GTN full subscription it costs $499 and you'd have to pay that whether you had a Dynon, MGL, GRT, or Garmin PFD.
Old 11-08-2020, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
My North America database bundle for my 430W is $549 annually - and I got the same lifetime offer for the Dynon IFR/VFR, but I remember it being $389 I think...
Dynon does not have an IFR navigator. You have to buy a Garmin or Avidyne unit for that. From what I can tell, Avidyne requires that you buy databases from Jeppesen and we all know how that goes

The $389 lifetime Dynon sub you are thinking of is likely the Seattle Avionics black friday deal for the PFD, which is not sufficient to legally fly IFR.
Old 11-08-2020, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfb View Post
This isn't even close to correct. The equivalent Garmin subscription is $149.99
https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/de...tabase-pricing

If you want the GTN full subscription it costs $499 and you'd have to pay that whether you had a Dynon, MGL, GRT, or Garmin PFD.
If you have a G3X, you only need the Nav data for the GTN, which is $299/yr. The $149/yr for the G3X has all the databases that you would have redundantly had in a full-bundle GTN subscription. So total it's $450/yr.
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTN.JPG
Views:	65
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	4480 Click image for larger version

Name:	G3X.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	4481
Old 11-08-2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
If you have a G3X, you only need the Nav data for the GTN, which is $299/yr. The $149/yr for the G3X has all the databases that you would have redundantly had in a full-bundle GTN subscription. So total it's $450/yr.
Attachment 4480 Attachment 4481
Thanks hgerhardt, that's a good tip and puts your full suite at $450yr including IFR navigator.

If you don't fly IFR, all you need is the $149 for the G3X to include everything in the $99 Seattle Avionics setup.

The $299 or $499 subscription for the GTN would also be required if you had Dynon screens. Avidyne has a similar setup for similar pricing if you have an Avidyne instead of a GTN.
Old 11-09-2020, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Dynon does not have an IFR navigator. You have to buy a Garmin or Avidyne unit for that. From what I can tell, Avidyne requires that you buy databases from Jeppesen and we all know how that goes

The $389 lifetime Dynon sub you are thinking of is likely the Seattle Avionics black friday deal for the PFD, which is not sufficient to legally fly IFR.
You're right on both counts - and I do know how that goes. We have an Avidyne IFD440 in our 172, and the annual data subscription for that device is $299 for the navdata, and I purchase it from Jeppesen. So far that has been a painless experience. So your argument would be?

As for the Seattle Avionics, my memory of the price may be wrong but I do have the full VFR/IFR lifetime sub for the Dynon charts. I do not own or use their PFD.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-09-2020, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
We have an Avidyne IFD440 in our 172, and the annual data subscription for that device is $299 for the navdata, and I purchase it from Jeppesen. So far that has been a painless experience. So your argument would be?
That's great to hear, I worry about Jeppesen pricing. Sounds like they price the same as Garmin for NavData. Do they have a package including terrain/obstacle/AirportDiagram as well?
Old 11-09-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Canuck View Post
Rainier has recently stepped away from this forum and no longer represents his company here. According to his company's forums (quoted below), he's written this forum off as a Garmin only community. Unfortunate that he feels that way because his presence was valuable here, as is discussion of his company's product line.
:O Well that's interesting. Especially the part about his account being closed. I wonder what "fees" he had to pay to be a member of the forum and provide support. I don't recall much advertising, just new product announcements when they happened.

[ed. Nothing more than a past due invoice and that has been squared away as of a few days ago. It’s my understanding they will advertise again (I think this week) and be back in the forum. v/r,dr]

Last edited by DeltaRomeo : 11-09-2020 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:17 AM

Default Database Pricing

We just want to clarify what the pricing structure looks like to keep the databases for a G3X Touch and GTN up to date. It is important to differentiate between the databases needed for the certified GTN IFR GPS Navigator, and the G3X Touch, they are purchased separately.

G3X Touch Databases

For aircraft operating in the United States, the G3X Touch databases can be updated for $49.99 a year, by purchasing the US Mini Database Bundle. This will update the Navigation database, Terrain Database, Obstacle Database, and Safetaxi database.

There are several supplemental databases available for the G3X Touch, including IFR en-route charts, VFR sectional charts, Airport directory and Garmin Flitecharts (procedure charts). These can be updated, along with the previously mentioned databases, for an additional $100 per year.

US Mini Database Bundle - $49.95

Or

US Database Bundle - $149.95

GTN 6XX/7XX Databases

The navigation database for the GTN 650 can be updated for $299.00 per year. You have the option of updating the other databases on the GTN 650, but the information that would be included would be identical to the information that exists in the G3X Touch supplemental databases, so many find it sufficient to update the Navigation database only.

Thanks,

Justin
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.
Old 11-09-2020, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g3xpert View Post
The navigation database for the GTN 650 can be updated for $299.00 per year. You have the option of updating the other databases on the GTN 650, but the information that would be included would be identical to the information that exists in the G3X Touch supplemental databases, so many find it sufficient to update the Navigation database only.

Quote:
That's great to hear, I worry about Jeppesen pricing. Sounds like they price the same as Garmin for NavData. Do they have a package including terrain/obstacle/AirportDiagram as well?
Sure they do - but as Justin mentions above, there is no point in purchasing those for the IFD440 (or any GTN device for that matter) if you are operating with a Dynon screen(s), since the same data for terrain/obstacles is available for a lower price on the Dynon and is displayed in a much more user-friendly way on the larger moving map - unless of course you have splurged for the full G-1000 environment, in which case dollars are obviously not a problem for you.
Built an off-plan RV9A with too much fuel and too much HP. Should drop dead any minute now.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:10 PM

Default Good feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Froehlich View Post
I now have built four SkyView system panels, each with the lone Garmin GTN-650 as the TSO IFR navigator. I find the integration of these to be as good as any full Garmin panel.
That's good to know - I've been very happy as a Dynon customer. I'm kicking around the idea of finding a good RV-6A with a basic panel and upgrading to a modern avionics suite. This sounds like a good way to go.

RV-6 N466PG Purchased already flying - SOLD!

The Book: The PapaGolf Chronicles

Built RV-12
http://www.schmetterlingaviation.com

The Book: Schmetterling Aviation

The above web blogs and any links provided thereto are not instructional or advisory in nature. They merely seek to share my experiences in building and flying Van's RV airplanes.