What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety as an excuse....Doug Reeves new helmet

GusBiz

Well Known Member
So I like a lot of you have clicked on Doug?s new helmet link and seen his long and details explanation of the safety requirement Blah blah blah... you can make fun of me if you like Blah blah......these are all the reasons why it?s safer...Blah Blah.....none of this applies to the passenger because a pair of sunglasses and a baseball cap seem to do for them Blah blah.

No, this is not making fun of you Doug, I just wish you be a little more open about why you want it. The REAL reason why

I saw the design you put on the helmet and thought....oh wow that is awesome. I want one too now!!!!. That is a great helmet!

Then it occurred to me "wait a second, who does a design like that when what they really want it a safer flight...he would of done what so many others do and just left it grey if it was just safety"

Doug no one on this site will EVER think its vain, stupid or unnecessary for you to get yourself your topgun helmet and play highway to the danger zone as soon as you taking off. That?s why we do this because it?s fun and screw you to anyone that judges that.

I say that half the guys on here want to do the same and probably will after they see your totally cool helmet.

Except I ask that every one actually ADMIT that safety was just a nice bonus because the cool factor is what made you pull the trigger on it.

...and why not I say. Life is too short not to do as your heart desires.

I had enough of those darn helmets in a previous life. It's all baseball caps and sunglasses for me now (and feathers in my teeth). :D

As an aside, I had been doing some research on Helmets in GA - and this thread triggered me to format it:

Helmets in GA

Hope of interest, any comments / additional references welcome ;)

snip....Except I ask that every one actually ADMIT that safety was just a nice bonus because the cool factor is what made you pull the trigger on it.

...and why not I say. Life is too short not to do as your heart desires.

Thanks Gus.:rolleyes:

I actually was fine with grey, and did choose that, but Gibson Barnes' sales rep Frank suggested the paintjob. I had no input in the process at all, other than sending them a picture of my plane. Their artist guy came up with what you see. Pretty amazed myself!

I think I'm in the phase of life where I'm hyper-aware of the responsibilities I have to my family. No longer bulletproof and three people relying on me financially now and all.

Six people have died flying out of my airport in the last 14 days. Two a couple of weeks ago (I knew the CFII), and four more yesterday in an BE36/G (if it's the plane I think it is....I saw it take off).

It makes you think about doing those things that protect you.

Last edited:
I read a lot of information here and elsewhere when I was thinking about helmets; the conclusion I came to was that the HGU/55P helmets such as Gibson&Barnes offer isn't the most crashworthy thing available. It's a "bump" helmet, not a crash helmet, as I recall someone describing it. That, combined with it's astronomical price, made me look elsewhere.

A lower cost option is something like this: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/avpages/procomflight2.php?clickkey=7904 - it works with your existing headset and is still low profile enough to use in RVs (I'm 6'5, 34" inseam, and I fit in my -6A with the helmet on n/p).

I don't know if I'll wear it every flight once phase one is done, but until then I don't think it's a bad idea.

I don't know that much about helmets in airplanes............but when I was thrown head first to the pavement during a 65 mph collusion with a leaping deer on my motorcycle, the helmet DID it's job. It took out my collar bone, my shoulder blade, and all left ribs. But my head & neck were untouched. And they all eventually healed.

I DO believe in helmets now!

L.Adamson

Gibson Barnes is a quality shop and I highly recommend their products. A few years back I had them modify a slightly damaged helmet (crew chief had attempted to close a F-16 canopy with the helmet still sitting on the canopy rail). The shell survived with just a small crack! I believe Doug is having the same type of helmet shell modified. As someone stated, it is not a crash helmet, it is a bump (or canopy rail crush) helmet. It is designed to essentially provide head and face protection from the elements during a high speed ejection.

Since ejection is not an easily accomplished feat in the RV, a great alternative use, with visor installed, is bird impact protection. The helmet is light weight and reasonably comfortable assuming the helmet is fitted correctly.

I had GB install all the bells and whistles including some art work reflecting the national origin of one of our favorite VAF aviators, Vlad. GB custom builds helmets for a huge variety of end-users. If interested, you might check out their website:

http://www.gibson-barnes.com/

Regards,

Interesting... Having had a small bird strike on the bike last week (it hit the windscreen), I will ponder wearing a helmet while flying power. Doubt I will do it while soaring.

FWIW, I always wear a fill face while "flying" at ground level, and I hope you all to do.

self-portrait.jpg

TODR

I have a G&B HGU55 that I use flying warbirds. I had the custom mold done so it fits right without hot spots after extended wear. I also sprang for the ANR which works fairly well. Will I wear it in the RV several years down the road when it is finished? Probably during testing.

HGU/84

9k4h0y.jpg

Truly an impact absorbing helmut, lightweight and comfortable. Added an ANR system and the visor system. Never fly without it.

I wonder if I went the helmet route, I think I would go for a CEP instead of ANR set up.

CEP was my original intent and always wear them at work. I changed my mind if favor of keeping the parts count and things to keep track of list to a minimum. It would be a great way to go. My work HGU/84 has it setup this way.

Back