What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What are the odds of spearing a bee with pitot

Randy Hooper

Well Known Member
There have been several discussions about insects clogging vents and airspeed plumbing but what are the odds of hitting a critter so as to plug the pitot in flight?
This afternoon on takeoff at rotation speed I had an airspeed fluctuation. Compared to the other indicators it didn't agree. Soon Followed by FADEC warnings along with a list of other system malfunctions.
Just under max landing weight, we returned to find this bumble bee tail first in the pitot tube with it's head too large to enter.
I have to say, never saw that before.

n84h

What are the odds of hitting a bee (or some other bug) on takeoff from Oshkosh? Thankfully, it worked its way back so as not to completely block things after a few minutes, but it happened to me five years ago. Look at your windscreen are leading edges. You hit a LOT of bugs!

Bob

Count me in as having a pitot hit by a bug just after rotation leaving Fredricksburg Texas. Lost all airspeed, the bug was so big I saw it out of the corner of my eye just before the airspeed went dead.

My former 182 partner lost airspeed data just after rotation at Johnson Creek ID. Bug in the pitot. He said he was glad it wasn't IMC.

Obviously the pitot tube was mounted .5 inches to high on the fuselage. haha!
I like the drop down door on your 8 too!

Dual pitot it is

So I have been arguing with myself over two pitots and thought ...

Come on, what are the chances.

I mean really.

Now I know.

Two pitot it is

There have been several discussions about insects clogging vents and airspeed plumbing but what are the odds of hitting a critter so as to plug the pitot in flight?
This afternoon on takeoff at rotation speed I had an airspeed fluctuation. Compared to the other indicators it didn't agree. Soon Followed by FADEC warnings along with a list of other system malfunctions.
Just under max landing weight, we returned to find this bumble bee tail first in the pitot tube with it's head too large to enter.
I have to say, never saw that before.

n84h

Nice shot Randy. Bullseye!

Once speared a bird with the refueling probe on a TA-4J Skyhawk. Saw blood splats on the canopy in the landing pattern. Landed and couldn't find it until we were walking away and noticed splayed feathers stuck to the end of the heavily greased probe.

Happened to me too

Had a bee plug my pitot in a cessna 180 on floats while I was giving a fell a float endorsement...

Back