What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

design change

Cadstat

Well Known Member
I talked the wife into buying the RV with the idea that someday she would learn to fly. When that time came, she thought it would be easier to learn if it was more like a car. So I teed the brakes together and both calipers are actuated with the left toe brake. She wanted the throttle to be like an accelerator pedal and it's now on the right toe where the brake use to be. Right seat, same way.
The big problem is that it's impossible to hold steady RPMs because you have to hold pressure on the gas pedal while working the rudders. The Lyc backfired so much in the pattern that her mom, watching from the ramp, dialed 911. The S-TEC A/P will lock on a heading but we always drift to the right because you can't take your foot off the throttle. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

This sounds like a bad April Fools joke...

If your serious, I must apologize in advance for your situation. I have no intent of making light or fun of your troubles.

King

This is an acceptable modification to an aircraft, but you should have started with an Ercoupe. The brake pedal is already there, the steering is by the yoke in the air and on the ground, and the simple addition of an accelerator will complete the conversion.

Why don't you just use the cruise control? Did you put in a side window for signalling turns?

Easy fix!

The problem is you are trying to use automotive style controls in conjunction with a traditional aircraft engine. You need to replace the lycoming with a auto conversion (i.e. rotary, subie, V8, etc) and the control will work as expected. Besure to heavily insure the aircraft and your wife and send her off on her first solo. Once you get your insurance settlement, start over with a traditional RV and wife. :D

If you are actually serious, let me offer my sincere apologies and would you mind if I take out a life insurance policy on both of you to help fund my retirement? ;)

Easier Fix.

Tell her to learn how to fly.... the real (intended) way.

(Many people have done it before ie. PILOTS):confused:

Lay down the law.

....The S-TEC A/P will lock on a heading but we always drift to the right because you can't take your foot off the throttle. Not sure what to try next. Any suggestions?

Buy a cane. She can use it to push the throttle pedal. When she's comfortable with that, add a conventional hand throttle about where the cane handle was. She'll be fine.

Then take off the nose wheel and convert the plane to a taildragger with normal brake pedals. Give her taildragger lessons and that'll reprogram her feet.

Anything else I can help with?

Dave

That's funny!

I had this EXACT same problem!!!!

I solved the rudder problem by drilling a hole through each side of the canopy about in a position where the tip of my nose would fall.

Then, I ran a string through the holes and attached each end to the tip of the rudder.

Sitting in the cockpit, I would just bite down on the string and control the rudder by wagging my head side to side! Worked like a charm! :eek:

Throttle

I have tried teaching mine that the throttle control is not a place for hanging your handbag..................failed!!!

Actually on the way back from LA last week she said she actually wanted to learn to fly........now that is scary!!

It's obvious

You need an aftermarket cruise control. I would also recommend a set of antilock brakes.

Mag switches

Hmmmm

What are mag switches its a diesel?????

Oh god i hope she doesnt hang her bag on the pull to stop cable !!!!

DIVORCE

Why mess up a perfectly great airplane? You are saying that your wife can't (or doesn't want) to actually learn to fly. She must be twisting your tail - er wing. Simple - find a woman who can learn to fly - or buy your wife a motorcycle and you'll never see her again - missing person.

This is really an April Fools Joke - right?

HAS to be a joke

but if...

You can't just ....

no... no way if the....

I am sorry I am not willing to accept that a fellow VAF member could be this ludicrously stupid.

This is a joke.

Its a good one, well done, not something I ever would have thought of, very original :)

I've read somewhere there is a mod for the position lights and strobes. It merges the two functions and provides pilot control to activate just one side or the other by use of a long toggle switch.

So John...

Ya know, gas pedal on the right is pretty logical...after all, you need right rudder on TO, right? I'll bet that baby really wraps up in spins to the right too, eh! Turning off the right side of the runway gets pretty sporting too...hmmm.

And if you're really evil, you could swap the functions of the pedals as an emergency procedure!

Got any pictures or a schematic of the brake line Ts?

Not quite 4/1 here yet either...but I tried the Fred Flinstone mod...the holes in the floor so I could yell "yabba dabba do" and paddle away with my feet. But dog-gone these HRII struts on my 6, I can't reach the ground...now what am I gonna do? All those visions of getting on a treadmill and seeing if it would fly...dashed due to short legs! :p

Cheers,
Bob

April 1st

Special thanks and apologies to all who help with my April 1 dilemma. Posting early didn?t seem to fool many of the problem solving design engineers.
What an amazing group we are! I especially like those who as delicately as possible wanted to ask, ? By any chance, did you hit your head something??
Straight and level, John

Back