What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dual Pitot Tube, and why??

GusBiz

Well Known Member
I searched the forum for this but didn't get a decent answer.

Does anyone have a dual pitot tube?

If you do what made you buck the trend and go the extra, what was your rational? Has anyone ever lost a pitot in flight, IMC or other wise? What did you do?

Has anyone had pitot-static issues and used their EFIS GPS information instead?

And finally has anyone really experience pitot ice in an RV? As far as I understand the law for IFR does not mandate dual heated pitots so can I get away with using my GPS data as the back up for IAS, altitude, climb rate?

With all this is the drag created by the tube and the stand for it that much, is it worth doing it anyway or is it like the "wire vs the foil" video

(for your reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftq8jTQ8ANE)

Hmm an interesting question this one. I have never had ice in a pitot tube however, I do have 2 separate pitot/static systems on my 7. Many years ago had an ASI go to zero because a bee got stuck in the pitot. this was in a C182 flying at 2500'. :eek:

A bee in the circuit

Did he join 45 degrees to down wind or was he an arrogant little so and so, and performed a left break right over the runway :)

Interesting redundancy.

I have seen several RV's with dual pitot setups, one on each wing.

I understand this for IFR, in the old days.

Now a days? The GPS is the backup for the pito, Alt, VSI, AI, etc.

The near future brings what will be a standard in synthetic vision as a backup.

Progress.....

I like it simple.

Did he join 45 degrees to down wind or was he an arrogant little so and so, and performed a left break right over the runway :)

I've been stung by those guys too many times! They make a beeline for the threshold intending to buzz the runway--sometimes a whole swarm of them. Really chaps my hive. Whoo, honey!

--
Stephen

My heated pitot system iced up once. Water collected at a low point in the system and froze. No problem. Alternate GS source from GPS was helpful and the ice melted when I came down from the stratosphere. I do have two static sources. One is dedicated to the vertical autopilot. When it shared a static source with other instruments is oscillated slightly; annoying.

I will have two pitots

A heated Dynon on left wing and a Van's stainless steel tube on right wing. The Van's will feed my backup EFIS (D6) and is routed ahead of the spar for easy hookup at panel. The Dynon pitot/AOA is routed behind spar to connect with ADAHRS behind baggage area. I'm planning single static, but with an air switch for alternate source (cockpit).
My thinking is that in IMC if I loose the primary EFIS's, the D6 would either need GPS or separate pitot to provide accurate attitude along with airspeed.
I too have lost a pitot--newbie co-pilot low leveling up a river in H46. I was pulling full power and only showing 50 knots. Pilot took over--he had a separate pitot and was showing 140 knots.

Back