What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Serious Help Needed!!

RidiculousM

Well Known Member
I am really torn between building the RV-7 or the RV-8. I am leaning towards the 8 but still keep considering the 7. In either case it will be a quick build kit and one thing to consider is that it will be my first build. Any opinions, suggestion, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike

I think its all a matter of what your mission profile is.

Personally if I'm taking passengers I think its more fun to be sitting next to the pilot and taking in all the cool gizmos in the cockpit. Also the 7 is easier to get instruction done in since your CFI will have a full panel at his/her disposal. Just my 2 cents... but then again I'm building a 7 :D

If you wanna go a little faster and have the more fighter plane look go with the 8.

There are probably many things and differences to consider but I think the 7 would appeal to a broader market when or if you ever have to sell. So solely considering resale I would choose the 7.

I decided on a -7 after flying in an -8. The -8 is an awesome airplane but a huge part my mission/dream is traveling with my wife; I didn't want her sitting in the back seat staring at my head the whole time and she agreed wholeheartedly with me.

If my mission were solo flights a majority of the time I would have strongly considered one of the tandem models.

-7 it is for me, -8's have their place but it's a lot more fun sharing the flight experience side by side. :D

7 vs 8 is the most straightforward decision you will have to face. Do you want centerline tandem seating, or side by side? Compared to this, the other variations between the two are inconsequential. You'll be able to deal with the particulars either way once you decide on this. Don't make it more complex than it needs to be.

Ask....

.... your wife or girlfriend what she would like to look at while you two are crusing along on your adventures:

1) The back of your head and a limited view of the outside world.

2) A full panoramic view of the outside world and the panel (so she can fly if she wants too)

These two questions can also be asked to the ones of your friends that you're planning to take up for rides...
Besides: a bigger panel makes it easier to have room for all that nice stuff you would like to room for in there...

Ofcourse it all depends on your mission, but I'd think that when you're building a two-seat plane, you'll have someone with you from time to time...

I recommend you take a ride in a -7 and a -8 and imagine you are your own passenger on those two rides and THEN make a decition...

PS: I've now put my flaming suit on....;)

PS # 2: I just came to think of another option if you want an -8: you could also put your wife or girlfriend up front during your trips.... :D

I'll bite... and give some contrary views ;)

and one thing to consider is that it will be my first build.
No diff between 7 and 8.

I have flown / tested / instructed in most RV seats. The most comfortable seat in the house is the RV-8 rear seat - better by far than any SBS, and in fact, more roomy than the RV-8 front seat. The view is also better in a tandem. To keep the SBS performance good, the canopies are low profile.

I think its all a matter of what your mission profile is
As ever, the ultimate qu. Read the forums, and decide how much of your flying will be you (solo) / or + other pilots - the 8 a winner here. If it is nervous / close people needing reassurance, then SBS would be better.

and taking in all the cool gizmos in the cockpit
I will differ here... the "cool aspect" about RV flying is the handling and view outside (preferably upside down :eek: ). "Gizmos" you might as well view on MS Flight Sim at home. The 8 wins here, minimal space for toys up front, and hardly any view of them from the rear seat :D

I am clearly biased, but build what you want for you, not what you might want for somebody else who might occasionally fly with you. After all, much of this might change by the time you fly.

Besides: a bigger panel makes it easier to have room for all that nice stuff you would like to room for in there...
The opposing view might be it costs 1/4 of the $$$ to populate an RV-8 panel than an RV-7 ;)

I recommend you take a ride in a -7 and a -8 and imagine you are your own passenger
Try changing the last word to "pilot"...

PS # 2: I just came to think of another option if you want an -8: you could also put your wife or girlfriend up front during your trips....
Just as I can do...;) Ellie also a pilot, we alternate front seat.

but I think the 7 would appeal to a broader market when or if you ever have to sell. So solely considering resale I would choose the 7.
This should not be "an opinion". Surely fact based? I do not know which way, but sale values can be researched...

Just adding some balance to the posts above. In practice, either will suit you fine... but whatever you do, ensure it is not an 'A' version :p

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV-8tors

Mike, I'd like to add one other element to your decision. One of the greatest pleasures I've derived from being able to fly my own plane is to share the experience with others. Taking my late-80's father for the proverbial $100 hamburger, thanking my admin assistant for all her hard work by flying her all over Tampa Bay and letting her do most of the flying, giving my son's best friend a taste of what his buddy (my son) was all jazzed about WRT flying, and so forth. ALL of these experiences were far better for having been flown SBS. So along with the other variables in the equation, don't overlook how you'd feel about flying friends and family members in these two models.

Jack

Previously, I have had centreline aeroplanes, Champs, Citabrias, Zlin 526F, Christen Eagle.

I am very comfortable with centreline, the communication is fine because the majority of communication is aural - the real experience is outside, looking at the wonderful scenery and experiencing the stunning performance.

However - we built a 7 first............

The reason was because of the likely flying my Brother and I had planned. Trips out, a bit of touring, some aerobatics - i.e. a good all round compromise.

The immediate access storage on a 7 is great, not so in an 8.

If you are of larger stature, the a 7 can be a bit of a squeeze, especially if you use the standard Vans belts :eek: The 8 will give you and more so, the passenger plenty of room.

I remember my first Champ had the wide back seat - marvellous, I would put the passenger up front and lounge in a very relaxed manner in the back.

The final decision shouldn't be difficult, it is what you want the aeroplane to do for you when you are flying.

Resale - both will sell equally well - why would you want to sell an RV - unless the next one is ready ?

As Andy said - either will be great, provided that the steering wheel is where it was designed to be - at the back...... :rolleyes:

Mike,
I have the ultimate answer for you...you're just gonna have to build one of each!

There! Now that we have that settled, which one are you gonna build first? :D

If you're a larger person your decision will be easier. The 8 and 10 are the only RV's I fit in. I've never heard the resale market is better with a 7 before. I've seen a lot of "WTB RV8 and WTB RV4 ads recently.

I am really torn between building the RV-7 or the RV-8. I am leaning towards the 8 but still keep considering the 7. In either case it will be a quick build kit and one thing to consider is that it will be my first build. Any opinions, suggestion, or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Mike

This is like asking a NASCAR crowd which is better, Ford or Chevy. ;)

You can't go wrong with either, follow your own instincts on this one.

7 or 8

Go for a ride in the back seat of a Long EZ and you'll come away with a new prospective. Side by side makes the most sense to me. Our club president is building an 8 because he is a retired fighter jock and wants to fly formation with his buddy who already has an 8. If you plan to fly by yourself 90%+ of the time then the 8. Maybe non-pilot passengers don't mind the back as much as your pilot friends would. Ask the people who you plan to share the experience with.

My wife really prefers the back seat of the 8. it realy IS much roomier, and you dont have to rub elbows. Visibility is still great.
Nordo

So should I be a Catholic or Protestant or Buddhist?

The original poster's question is no less controversial or unanswerable and will yield just as many responses.

Back