What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Weight and balance ?

JeremyL

Well Known Member
I posted this in the weight and balance thread. But I figured I’d ask in a separate thread since I hadn’t gotten any replies.

So I’m planning
7A
Io 360 m1b thunderbolt
Pmags
Composite 3 blade fixed
Leather/synthetic full interior
Zip tips
Single 10” g3x with 375 dual axis autopilot
James cowl/plenum

Should I sincerely think about getting a 320 mount with this setup to avoid an aft CG????
Also, with the advancement in the nose gear design that vans now includes in the kits, does that help with the CG issue enough that a 320 mount wouldn’t be needed?

I am sure many others will chime in here, but my gut tells me you'll be good with the new gear, SJ cowl. I'd skip the Earth X batter however. What prop and any idea on weight?

Worst case, you could always do a small crush plate if necessary (but intentionally adding dead weight to an airplane always seems soul crushing).

Also, plenty of debate on whether the 320 mount is acceptable for the higher HP, but there are plenty of pumped up 320's out there.

Crush plate is....

Soul crushing, which is why I wanted to try to avoid it. The prop I’d like to attach is the 3 blade catto.

If I were to do it over again, I would avoid excess weight behind the baggage bulkhead. Van's sells these neat brackets for the side of the fuselage, and I have my strobe power supply and Skyview ADSB module on either side behind the bulkhead. I would move them forward somewhere.

You may want to ask around regarding 3-bladed props and "A" models. The lower cowl is hard enough for me to get off my 7A with a fixed pitch Sensenich prop, which I can rotate horizontal. The lower cowl needs to come forward as well as down on the "A" models to negotiate the nose gear leg angling forward.

Back