What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cargo pod

JoeB

Has anyone had any luck ordering a the belly cargo pod that was out there for a while?
Seems like the info on it has disappeared

Has anyone had any luck ordering a the belly cargo pod that was out there for a while?
Seems like the info on it has disappeared

I spoke with David a couple of months ago, and they are hoping to get back in production in the next year or two. They moved their production facility to California a few years ago, and all the tooling is still packed away according to him. He told me that they are looking at a new expanded facility and once moved in there, they will be able to restart production.

They are out of hardpoint kits, but if you contact him directly (call the cell phone number on the web site--listed under "Headquarters and North American Sales"), he may send you a set of installation drawings that will help you understand things that need to be done for installation, such as installing additional rivets in the ribs beneath the rear seats, and replacing several spar rivets with bolts that are used to attach the forward hard points.

I should point out that it's probably important to contact him directly, so that he understands how much demand for the cargo pod is out there. It may help encourage them to restart production sooner!

Last edited:
I contacted them about 2 years ago and understood they were too vested into other projects to build any more MotoPods (that's what they were called), so they stopped selling the hardpoint kits :/

Not sure whether or not David will continue to make the MotoPods, but I know that they were making "surveillance equipment versions" of it the last time I talked with David about this. Seems there was more money in that line of sales than selling to experimental builders. However, he might entertain making more MotoPods for 10 builders if the price is right. My advice would be to keep contacting him and perhaps he could be persuaded. I, for one, am extremely happy with mine, which I purchased from him several years ago. I have the MotoCycle that goes in the pod as well, for use as ground transportation upon landing. However, my RV-10 isn't flying yet, so I just use the MotoCycle for fun and for the occasional drive to work on nice days. Ugh... I need to get my bird in the air!!!

I would be interested in a Motopod and have a flying RV-10. Who knows how to do an online survey that we could send to David? I figure I could try to figure it out but if someone already know how to do it I would appreciate it.

Kevin

Let's get some names on paper committing to buy pods if he will commit to producing at a certain number. I'd be willing to handle collecting the names and contacting him. I think it would also be helpful if people would call him independently, but if we can present him with a list of names who are seriously interested, it might be a strong signal. I'm not sure that will be enough, however, when I spoke with David a couple of months ago, he expressed interest in going back into production when his new facility is available.

I think we would want to make sure the people who sign up are not just tire kicking.

PM me if you are interested in adding your name.

Let's get some names on paper committing to buy pods if he will commit to producing at a certain number. I'd be willing to handle collecting the names and contacting him. I think it would also be helpful if people would call him independently, but if we can present him with a list of names who are seriously interested, it might be a strong signal. I'm not sure that will be enough, however, when I spoke with David a couple of months ago, he expressed interest in going back into production when his new facility is available.

I think we would want to make sure the people who sign up are not just tire kicking.

PM me if you are interested in adding your name.

This is a good idea and may be what David needs to get back to making pods for experimental builders. I can say that the pod design/quality and instructions for final assembly/fitment to the airplane are excellent. I would like to see more of these made for the RV-10, because it affords extreme utility and mission flexibility to an already very capable airplane. Good luck to the group.

This is a good idea and may be what David needs to get back to making pods for experimental builders. I can say that the pod design/quality and instructions for final assembly/fitment to the airplane are excellent. I would like to see more of these made for the RV-10, because it affords extreme utility and mission flexibility to an already very capable airplane. Good luck to the group.

Mike, how hard would it be to add a pod to a completed airplane?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but...

Mike, how hard would it be to add a pod to a completed airplane?

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but...

Doable but it’s going to be a real PITA. I installed the hard points when I was building my fuse and even then it was a royal pain as the forward points go between the spar center sections. The rear ones wouldn’t be much of a problem.

Back