What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stupid but obvious build question - Transport

383bigblock

I'm New Here
Hello everyone, I am in the process of narrowing down my plane decision between an RV10 and RV14. I was looking at the Sling TSI but it just appears to be twitchy in all of the flight videos and I think sticking with tried and true Lycoming engines and having so much information and history on RVs just makes more sense.

The question: I have a 36x32 shop in which to build the plane and it should fit inside at an angle however It has (2) 10 ft garage doors. I've watched nearly every build video for every kind of plane and I see guys building them in small spaces where there is no way to fully assemble the plane. How do you guys finish the plane and get it to an airport.....safely. Do you do the final assembly at an airport out on the parking lot? I figure I need to get a T-hangar rented ahead of time to transport in pieces and then do final assembly there. I haven't seen a single video that covers that last final step of moving it from the garage to the airport and how that is handle logistically. Sorry if this question is remedial, but in my brain taking the wings on and off multiple times seems to be something that you probably don't want to do too often.

Welcome!

You will take the tail and wings off a few times.

In my case, I built in my basement. This required me to fit the wings on with the fuselage in one position, remove and store the wings, turn the fuselage, and install the engine. (See website.)

You will do the same. Some guys push the fuselage out, fit the wings in one day, remove the wings, and put everything back in the garage.

You really don't want the wings on all the time as you will find yourself walking around them and while short, the mileage will add up over time.

A lot of guys will call in a rollback wrecker to move the fuselage to the airport. My wings, which are longer than those on a -14, went in the back of a friend's pickup and the fuselage went on a farm trailer I had access to.

Start building, you will have a couple of years to figure all this out.

(383, great engine! I had one back in a 72 Polaris station wagon when I was first out of college. What a hoot!)

I built my shop so that I'd have enough room to fit the wings. It was tight--I had maybe two inches to spare at each end (without the fiberglass tips) and we had to have the doors open to mount/remove them; I had to crawl under the wings to get from one side to the other. But while they were mounted I was able to rig the wings, get the flap pushrod holes cut, do a preliminary rig on the ailerons, get the fuel lines to the fuselage made, and fit the wing root fairings. I'll probably fit them again in the future to verify my wiring/pitot connections and function check my lights.

I know a lot of builders just wait till they get to the airport to do those steps, but I don't have any nearby options and want to get as much done at home as I possibly can.

14 build

Welcome, your shop is more than big enough. Building my 14A in my 24 by 30? shop with 2 10?by 10, overhead doors. Also have my pickup parked on 1 side. Currently have my wings finished and in a wing stand ,it?s tight but if I need more room I back the truck outside. I plan on doing everything I can before moving to the airport and will install the wings then. Go ahead and dive in ,hope you enjoy the building as much as I have. Dennis

Thanks a bunch

That is good news, I figured removing and replacing the wings was going to be the answer but for some reason my concern is in multiple plugging and unplugging of wiring and fuel lines as that often weakens connections and causes unnecessary wear. I am totally excited about this venture (unlike the wife) which is my other problem on plane selection. I love everything about the RV10 however I may never need 4 seats. it would be nice to have 4 just in case so I am still deciding between the RV10 and RV14. My mission is mid range and cross country traveling (Dallas to Angel Fire New Mexico) and the ability to handle higher density altitude flying 10k ft. elevation take offs.

Anyway thanks for the information and the bottom line is don't sweat the small stuff because everyone before me has already figured it out.

If your wife is not onboard, you have two options; 1. Don't start and 2. Get a divorce now.

I'm not being a smart *** (OK, I am) but if she is not on board, it will get ugly.

Building a plane, even a quick build takes a LOT of resources in terms of time and money. If you spend every minute of free time in your shop and all your available "play" money on YOUR toy, it will get ugly.

Please make sure she is on board and please don't put your relationship at risk for a plane.

Both planes are great, try to get your wife a ride in both, that might help with the above. If you can't find a 14, get her a ride in a -6, 7, or 9, they are the same, just a little bit smaller.

Good luck moving forward.

He's not wrong

Unfortunately Bill is correct.

Happened to me, but it was worth it. Wife #2 accepts and supports my passions and I accept and support hers. So while Bill's advice seems harsh, one advantage to his number 2 is that you don't have to fight over an airplane or airplane project value in the proceedings.

If your wife is not onboard, you have two options; 1. Don't start and 2. Get a divorce now.

I'm not being a smart *** (OK, I am) but if she is not on board, it will get ugly.

Building a plane, even a quick build takes a LOT of resources in terms of time and money. If you spend every minute of free time in your shop and all your available "play" money on YOUR toy, it will get ugly.

Please make sure she is on board and please don't put your relationship at risk for a plane.

Both planes are great, try to get your wife a ride in both, that might help with the above. If you can't find a 14, get her a ride in a -6, 7, or 9, they are the same, just a little bit smaller.

Good luck moving forward.

Fully understand

I've put a lot of thought into it and given that I've been married for 30 plus years we can weather the storm. She is used to me being in the shop or garage all day working on stuff and building things. She is more afraid of flying than anything. Even if she doesn't ever fly in it, my best friedn and I will have a blast going to his cabin in Angel Fire and just flying around to different locations. I support all of her stuff and she has always supported mine. Now, she doesn't work (hasn't for 25 plus years) so she's really not going to gripe too much. Ideal situation is she warms up to it and participates. Worst case, I build it and end up selling it down the road and enjoy the build process. I am actually more excited about the build process than anything. I love fabrication and am always tinkering, welding up stuff and making things.

I'm thinking about convincing her do a discovery flight (without me) up in McKinney through Monarch Air or some other FBO / Flight School. She may actually like it and then finally understand.

Transport etc.

Sounds like you have a great space to build. Did my 7 in a 20x20 garage with double 8' doors. Took the tail off again to get the fuse out. Put the wings on at the hangar for the first time (twice) and did the final finishing there.

Transported it to the hangar in a rented 26' van with an extended lift gate. Rolled the fuse onto the lift (engine installed and on wheels) lifted it and rolled it in. Wings went in on the cradle same way and all the other parts were strapped to the walls with padding. Tires were strapped to the floor with straps and blocking screwed to the floor. All arrived totally undamaged.

The most pride and satisfaction I have ever experienced is the building and flying of my 7. I have built a few cars, many engines etc, done a bunch of woodworking and stuff but there is nothing like that first flight in your plane!!

That divorce thing is real...went through it on my first car build...but it sounds like you will be ok as long as you don't forget about her...maybe even include her when you need some help if she is willing. Don't count on her changing her mind about the flying thing. The guys/women whose significant other enjoys participating in our flying enjoyment are extremely lucky! My wife has supported me throughout but she has her own passions and flying is not one of them. She will fly with me a few times a year to visit a friend or grab lunch somewhere but mostly I am on my own with the other guys on the field.

Good luck and enjoy the ride!

Back