What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Mini X gps to Dynon D100

dougmattson

Well Known Member
Patron
I am using a Lowrance 2000c to provide gps data to the D100 for the autopilot. Is anyone using a GRT Mini X to do this?

Nice to see another Lowrance 2000c user!
Like you, I'm using the 2000c to provide GPS data to the D100.

The GRT Mini-X would do the trick as well using its NMEA output format. BUT you would have to use the flight planning function within the Mini-X in order to get the appropriate data included in the NMEA output. In essence, the autopilot and D100 need to know where you want the airplane to go, where you are now, and what the current direction of travel of the airplane is (GPS-derived velocity info). The GRT will provide all of that good stuff but only if you have an active flight plan with waypoints etc alive and running in the Mini-X.

I was thinking that the mini x was able to enter a flight plan but I don't know for sure. But I got his reply for GRT
"The Dynon units will not accept GPS data from our systems."

I bought the 2000c right before it became an orphan and then just missed the last database update. To bad because I like the gps.

Last edited:
I wonder if anyone has tried it anyway. There were a couple of guys on the dynon forums that seemed close a couple of years ago. I have tried to contact them but no response yet.

Our D100 series products accept NMEA format data. They do not accept or reject any particular product's output. However, there are a basic set of a few common sentences that they need to see for the autopilot, HSI and other GPS information to work properly. Those sentenses are described on this wiki page, but here's the relevant excerpt:

-----
Baud rate must be 4800 or 9600. The baud rate will be auto-detected [or can be explicitly set].
Must provide the following sentences:
  • GPRMB - This sentence is needed always. It contains core position, speed, and satellite data.
  • GPRMC - This sentence is needed always. It contains basic navigational data, including information about origin/destination waypoints and course deviation
  • GPGGA - Only needed if you want GPS altitude
  • GPBOD or GPAPB - One of the two sentences must be present, but you don't need both. Contains course direction information. If neither are present, the OBS will always indicate 360.

Any product that outputs a compatible set of the above sentences should work. One caveat/reason that past GPS products haven't worked (even if they ostensibly contain the required sentences) is if those sentences are outputted in a nonstandard, incomplete, or malformed fashion.

Back