What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Crimping AMP ring terminals

Arie

Well Known Member
Good day
I would like to crimp two #20AWG wires into a single ring terminal. They dont seem to fit together in a red terminal made for 22 to 18AWG wires. Can I just then use a blue terminal made for 16 to 14AWG wires , as the seem to fit together in the terminal body? This might be a silly question but just wanted to check.

crimp

In this situation, when having to use a "blue terminal vs. a "red" one, I've sometimes stripped the wire twice the normal distance and doubled the wire back on itself for two diameters in the terminal to fill the void for a better crimp.

In this situation, when having to use a "blue terminal vs. a "red" one, I've sometimes stripped the wire twice the normal distance and doubled the wire back on itself for two diameters in the terminal to fill the void for a better crimp.

Same here.

I would suggest you consider adding some shrink tubing as a strain relief if you feel it may be needed.

Last edited:
Rest easy...all techniques mentioned are done just this way in the big airplane world.
Multiple smaller wires in a larger terminal, mixtures of different size wires in larger terminals, if not enough to fill the terminal, filler wire is used or doubled over as mentioned.

Back