What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EFII

Scott Hersha

Well Known Member
Anybody running EFII fuel injection and/or electronic ignition in an O-360 care to comment on how it all works? I am considering getting rid of my carb, and also swapping my MAG & LSE Plasma 3 for the dual EFII ignition in my RV8. Any experience and suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Last edited:
Ignition

Hello,

I do run a full EFII ignition in my 8 on a IO-360 angle valve.
The engine runs much more smooth than on mags or any other electronic ignition I have seen.

All parts that are supplied look and feel bulletproof, the crank trigger is a solid machined aluminum part.
The engine control unit's (ECU) are boxed in aluminum cases with high standard connectors.
Coils are screwed to magneto block off plates that are made of solid aluminum plates, to replace the old magnetos.
A prefabricated plug and play wiring harness, spark plugs, spark plug wires, small parts needed and MAP-sensors are supplied.

All you need is a spark plug wire connector crimping tool.

I run a dual crank trigger, dual ECU and dual coil system and I'm surprised by the quality and smoothness of the engine!

So far I can not tell anything about durability, just passed 5h of flying time...

And one very important thing is the costumer support!
Robert the owner is really helpful and friendly, whenever you have a question send a mail he answers quickly!

I'll second F5tigers comments, I too have just over 5 hours (tach) on my RV7.
Parts and customer service can't be beat.

I don't have any direct comparison as I've never run my engine (o-360) without the EFII, but it is very smooth. My idle stop is set at 510-520 static, it idles great even with the lightweight CATTO prop. I'm waiting for the engine break-in to see what it will do LOP.

In addition, I'm second guessing my decision to stay with the carb. I ended up buying a rebuilt carb and the upgrade to the EFII's fuel injection would not have been much more. It doesn't take a whole lot of carb parts or gaskets to get close to $800.
With the carb I'm stuck with the fuel distribution it gives me, I would like the ability to fine tune it. Perhaps when I pull it apart for the condition inspection....

I plan on this set up also, somewhere on here, posted his install with pics?

I have to concur.

I'm running a single EFII system with a new mag on an O-360. I wish I'd gone with the dual EFII now that I've ended up redoing the electrical system.

It runs great! Its built well. and the support is outstanding.

I have an angle valve IO-360 200hp Lyc. on my RV-8. I still have the orig. Bendix fuel injection, but I do have the EFII ignition system. I have put about 50hrs on my dual (and redundant) EFII ignition during the last year. By redundant, I mean that I have dual pickups, dual ECU's, two coils, and a completely separate backup battery to run the ign. for at least two full tanks of fuel should the main electrical buss fail.

I'm continually amazed at the performance and smoothness. I won't claim a 2gph overall improvement in fuel economy, although I've seen that on several occasions. I think that you should see about 1.5gph improvement. I can still show 20gph fuel flow on takeoff at sea level though!:eek:

I have the io-360 angle valve on my 7. One Bendix mag and one EFII ignition. I only have one test flight on it so far, but have noticed a difference in performance. I was never able to go 50 LOP with out the engine being rough operating. Yesterday, I went as far as 80LOP and the engine stayed very smooth with each cylinder peaking and staying very close in egt's. For all the rv9 economy guru's out there, I was 150 kts TAS on 6 GPH. At 3000'

Back