What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

South Alabama, Florida Panhandle day trips?

douglassmt

Well Known Member
We are in south Alabama through this week, and want to take my sister-in-law and her two teenage boys on a day trip to somewhere nice. Not being familiar with the fly-in destinations in the area, I would appreciate suggestions. Looking for something no farther than 1.5 RV hours (250nm) from Mobile with something to do. We just spent too much time on the beach so a beach destination is not essential, but would be OK too.

Please reply with suggestions if you have any.

Hi, If you havent been to Lambert's check that out. It is the home of the "thrown roll" Great southern style food and you can fly into Jack Edwards(JKA) in Gulf Shores and then call Lamberts they will pick you up for the short hop to the restaurant. Cheers

Pensacola, Naval Air Museum, a must see. Fly into Ferguson field, (82J),
close to Pensacola NAS. Great people very helpfull.

Boathouse grill in Destin Marina is good. Outlet mall east of Destin near San Destin. Of course there is always the Florabama bar on the beach.

Destin is a nice place. The FBO will let you use the courtesy car, great seafood on the water, and large outlet mall down the road

Gulf Shores trip

Hi,
Welcome to the panhandle of Florida. For a truly great aviation day, you should consider visiting The Naval Aviation museum in Pensacola. There is so much history there. It takes a LONG day to see everything. Well worth the effort to get there. I'm told one can fly into Ferguson airport ( 2 miles west) and they will shuttle you over to the museum. Take care and enjoy your stay. Tim

Thanks

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep in mind the caverns and Dog island for the next trip. I have been to the Naval museum in PNS and we just got done with a few days in orange beach. We have been to Destin before so I'm considering going to KNEW in New Orleans and taking in the WW II museum or the aquarium.

Was at KNEW 2 weeks ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll keep in mind the caverns and Dog island for the next trip. I have been to the Naval museum in PNS and we just got done with a few days in orange beach. We have been to Destin before so I'm considering going to KNEW in New Orleans and taking in the WW II museum or the aquarium.

Flightline First was a very good FBO. $20 ramp fee. It is waived if you buy 10 gallons of fuel. The taxi to the French Quarter is $30 with tip. Great view of the city when I departed, asked to head South, fly along the river and then North over the Superdome. They then had me fly over KMSY to enable me to go direct to the DFW area.

Pensacola, Naval Air Museum, a must see. Fly into Ferguson field, (82J),
close to Pensacola NAS. Great people very helpfull.

+1 Once upon a time, they had the definitive piston engine development cutaways from early to late on display. As the floor space has grown, I think they are scattered about, but still the most complete I have seen. It was of particular interest to me as an "engine guy" Some great aircraft too!

New Orleans get My Vote

In RV hours, it should be a 30 minute flight.

Great place to eat. And, of course, eat. The food is good, too!

Have either a Fergi or Debris poboy at Mother's Resturant on Poydras near the river. Don't be afraid of lines, they move quickly. Great food.

Salvo's Restaurant on Belle Chase Highway (across the river) is quite good, don't wear anything nice than jeans.

Gambino's Bakery (several locations, on near the airport) makes a cake Doberge (I can pronounce it, but I'm from there...) which is sinful. Just bought one ... $40. Employees at the place are near rude, but the product....

WWII museum is a must see. My father made some major artifact donations. VERY impressive.

A number of locations in the quarter area are all good. Acme Oyster House stands out in my mind, I don't frequent the quarter.

Have a snowball. Most places are good, I'm partial to Sal's on the corner of Metairie Road and Bonnabel Boulevard. Cheap, simple pleasure.

A visit to the Cafe DuMonde is required. Make certain to have the cafe' au lait.

If you go there, please let us know where you ate!

Check PM, please.

Have a great trip!
Michael

Moon Town

3m5, Moon Town at 259nm. North from KMOB might be a possibility for Sat. if you are still there.

I haven't been there, but I understand it's a really neat place for aviators!

New Orleans it was

We had a nice trip today to Lakefront (KNEW) in New Orleans. The nephews (from Holland) enjoyed the ifr flight and my brief tour of the Quarter and the aquarium (my vote was the WWII museum, but I was over ruled). We ate at Redfish Grill on Bourbon St (good), and had beignets at Cafe Du Monde (not so great). It was about 45 minutes each way (no wind) from 1R8. Thanks for all the input, all "y'all" southerner s come see me in Montana, where the weather is much more civilized!

Check your PMs Michael.

Back