What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Throttle/Mixture bracket for forward facing AFP

gyoung

Well Known Member
I've got a parallel valve 360 with a forward facing Airflow Performance servo using an angle valve sump.
redir

I need to find a bracket to mount the throttle and mixture cables. Horizontal servo brackets seem to be pretty scarce. Van's has something but no picture and too expensive to take a chance on it. Don at AFP says the installations vary too much to make one but is sending some pics. I couldn't find anything searching the forums. So I suspect I'm going to have to roll my own. Has anyone dealt with this setup or similar? Pictures/drawings/sources would be great. Thanks.

I ended up fabbing a custom bracket for mine, couldn't find anything on the market that would fit.

I have pictures if you still need them. Let me know and I will email you some.

Dan

I fabricated my own mounting brackets for my RV-10. You should be able to find a photo or two on my build site. It really wasn't a big deal.

Thanks Dan. Yes, I'm still wrestling with it so some pics would help. My email is bigdog at bentwing dot com. Thanks!

Fabricated my throttle cable bracket from .063 4130. Stiffening flange helps to shield the cable from the exhaust (in addition to the fire sleeve). Wasn't hard to make.

Throttle%20Cable%20Brkt_zpszcy69zi7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The actual fabrication is not an issue. The logical cable routing is directly from behind. I've got a 4-into-1 exhaust so the center area of the sump is wide open and there's a boss with 2 threaded holes just begging for a bracket. But when the mixture and throttle arms are clocked for that they interfere with each other. So I probably need to angle the throttle cable in from the left. Then I'm constrained by the exhaust and the length of my existing cable. That leaves the cable about midway between the possible mounting points on the sump. It's just my engineering nature to keep noodling on it until I find a solution I'm happy with.
redir

Cable routing

There's lots of different ways to do this. We have different offset and length levers if that would help too. If you need additional pictures of this type of install, email me at [email protected].

Don

There's lots of different ways to do this. We have different offset and length levers if that would help too.

I just talked to Don at AFP and have a larger offset throttle arm on the way. That will let both cables come from the rear and right by the mounting boss. The bracket should be a no brainer now. Thanks Don!

Back