What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Single? I'm guessing you're single

JakeLewis22

Well Known Member
Doug's "Totally Off Topic" picture made me laugh because I've heard the same comment many times. When I finished the wings on my RV7 I put them in my spare/guest bedroom for safe keeping. This usually makes my married friends laugh, followed by the comment, "I could never get away with that!"

I thought it might be a funny thread to see what parts of your airplane project have spread into your living quarters, with or without spousal approval.

VAF_071%20Feb.%2001,%202012%2006.09.44.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

No pics, but I have pieces-parts in just about every room except for my kids' bedrooms and the bathrooms.

Familiar

I see nothing unusual here.....

While I have no photos to document, while my 9A was under construction, wings were in den, horizontal stab/elevators were stored behind the couch and rudder/fin in spare bedroom while fuse under construction in the garage.
And yes, I was single at the time....

I built the wings of my RV-6A in the living room of the 2-bedroom apartment I was living in at the time. Judith was pursuing her medical degree and spent most the her time at school or in the library studying, so she was not much bothered by it. We did get a lot of amusement out of the fact that the TV remote actually worked better bounced off the skins than pointed directly at the TV.

The only bits that I have in the house are the fiberglass tips for my emp and wings and the clear wingtip light cover. Other than that its all stored above my garage in the attic. Storing the wings is going to pose a big problem, though. We're looking for a storage unit near the house.

Back to the original picture post on DRs home page. I question whether a guy with a tatoo across his stomach, storing his motorcycle in the bathtub is a cat person.

Back to the original picture post on DRs home page. I question whether a guy with a tatoo across his stomach, storing his motorcycle in the bathtub is a cat person.

He is not storing it. He is washing it.

Sure. Clean biker? Cat guy? (maybe a pie plater)

Dkb

Ha, ha, when I first looked at it, I didn't even see the guy holding it. Went back, looks like he's just taking shower with it (wishing it was a..something else)).

Marshall Alexander

Happily Married...

...seven+ years so far this time, and going strong.

Karen's graciously letting me borrow a spare bedroom pending my building a rack or hanging apparatus for safe storage at the hangar. (This is earthquake country, so I laid the HS down, and put the VS on the bed.;))

DSCN3132.JPG

I built my airplane while I was still a bachelor.

The wings lived in my master bedroom for 2-3 years. The empennage, flaps, and ailerons lived in another bedroom. When the finish kit arrived, most of it (other than the bubble) went in there too.

The bubble, of course, lived in the dining room. When I finished the canopy, it sat on the dining room table.

Dates were very impressed. ;-)

RV-12's Fabrication & Assembly Facilities

Living room:
e68c04b4.jpg

Dining room:

2fdc200a.jpg

French doors for removal.

And most significantly, with an absolutely wonderful wife's approval.

-Dave

living room wall decorations

Call it art, hang it on the wall....my wife was very understanding for a very long time!

waldecsm.jpg

TankStored.jpg

Hello. I have been asked by the owner of the VAF site (Doug Reeves) to help enforce the forum posting rules.
I deleted this VAF post for the following reason(s):

_XX_ Civility / Tone
__ Not RV-related
__ Commercial promotion by non-advertiser
__ Mod/Policy bashing
__ Politics / Government
__ Illegal video clip
__ eBay / Barnstormers / etc.

The posting rules are explained in greater detail at: www.vansairforce.net/rules.htm If you feel the need, please direct comments regarding this to the owner of the site (Doug Reeves). His contact info can be found at: www.DeltaRomeo.com Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
what is this?

Jake,

I had a look at your photobucket slide set.

Great build your doing. It gave me a few ideas for my own.

I found this in amoung the photos and wondered what they were?

IMG_0377.jpg

Care to share?

Those are horns...now I am curious as well.

I can see it now...on final and suddenly you hear the "General Lee" horn blaring in the flare! :D

Horns

Jake,

I had a look at your photobucket slide set.

Great build your doing. It gave me a few ideas for my own.

I found this in amoung the photos and wondered what they were?

IMG_0377.jpg

Care to share?

Several years ago I went for a ride in an Avid Magnum. As we were taxing back to the hanger we came up behind a guy walking between the hangers talking on his cell phone. The Avid owner pushed a button on the panel and honked his horn. The pedestrian just about jumped out of his skin but moved aside to let us pass. The Avid owner told me that the horn had come in handy several times at fly-in's where people wonder without paying attention.

When I purchased those horns a few years ago they were the loudest, small horns I could find (105db as I recall)

yikes

It was a big wall that needed some artwork.....

IMG_7920.jpg

-david

Those shoelaces might break, be careful with that. I have mine hanging in a shed with that horible but thick yellow rope and a safety second rope. Kind of overkill but know I won't be fixing any dents soon...;)

Those shoelaces might break, be careful with that. I have mine hanging in a shed with that horible but thick yellow rope and a safety second rope. Kind of overkill but know I won't be fixing any dents soon...;)

Thanks for the heads up, but those were far from shoe laces, Military Grade 550 cord, a single strand is rated to 550 pounds, even though it doesn't look like it, it was overkill the way it was. Good news is they are now mounted on the fuselage so I don't have to worry about that any more.

-david

Now that's just flat-out beautiful!

I especially like that the fuselage gets to watch TV. Does it get to choose the channel, too?

Dave

This photo quite simply, has to be THE BEST. EVER.

If that's an apartment, I'd sure hate to live in close proximity to the 'build' area, or be the next guy to move in- and walk around barefoot :)

I love it!

Last edited:
Let the contest begin!

Agreed! My only question; how did he get it out of there? :eek:

My soon to be wife asked the same thing!

She thinks double doors, I say through the window.....

Who has a better guess?

Anyone?

Come on lets see who gets it.

If that's an apartment, I'd sure hate to live in close proximity to the 'build' area, or be the next guy to move in- and walk around barefoot

Cleaning up when I moved out was NOT easy. There was a fine coating of aluminum powder on the walls, which wasnt noticeable until you rubbed your finger on the wall. It was like writing on a chalkboard with your finger.

Agreed! My only question; how did he get it out of there?
Very carefuly :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyXTvsSbYw0

Warning thread drift

For those of you who have built in apartments, how did you deal with the neighbors and noise? I am thinking of starting a build, but my area is very quiet and I am afraid of starting a project that makes noise everyday. Is it possible to sound proof a garage enough to where it won't be heard by the neighbors?

My wife knew what she was getting into when I rebuilt the engine o my BMW in the house while we were still in college. No garage and the parking lot was unpaved, where else can you rebuild an engine under those conditions, but the kitchen?

I haven't started on the plane yet, so no pics of assemblies in the house, but last year, since I don't have a rack for them, the Jeep doors were in the living room for the few weeks that they weren't on the Jeep.

Don't forget that good women are a great find.

Tim

Oh, and the RV8 inthe livin room is awesome. That may be a hall of famer tere.

Last edited:
Cleaning up when I moved out was NOT easy. There was a fine coating of aluminum powder on the walls, which wasnt noticeable until you rubbed your finger on the wall.

Any tips on how to clean? I'm asking because at some point I will have the same problem. I already have a large piece of cardboard on the wall behind the bench grinder that catches a lot of the dust. I also try to keep the door closed so that the dust stays in the living room, but still ... Fortunately no carpet!

Someone asked about the arrangement with my neighbors. Well, they say they don't even hear my compressor (which sits in a noise reduction box in the kitchen), but I try to keep the noisy stuff for daytime. My neighbors also know that they can come over or call me at any time if I'm too noisy. So far no complains whatsoever. :)

Cleaning up when I moved out was NOT easy. There was a fine coating of aluminum powder on the walls, which wasnt noticeable until you rubbed your finger on the wall. It was like writing on a chalkboard with your finger.

If you're the landlord, try this: repaint, using a couple coats of "KILZ Premium" primer first. The first coat of primer should entrap any remaining aluminum dust and the second coat ought to cover it. That brand of primer is pretty good stuff, and their Premium line is even better.

With the primer, work fast, use a roller and don't roll it back and forth playing with it. One or two swipes, then replenish the roller. Use lots of paint. It won't take long. Remember, it's an apartment, not an airplane.

You might have to replace the carpet, if there was any....

Dave,
another landlord, worried now about his tenants

Back