What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

No WW prop discount at Vans...

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
Just on a wild hair I sent an email to Vans asking if they would consider Whirlwind props for their engine/prop combo discount. The answer from Gus was just what I expected, they have no intention of selling WW props because they are too expensive and a "niche market", so the discount won't apply.

Just on a wild hair I sent an email to Vans asking if they would consider Whirlwind props for their engine/prop combo discount. The answer from Gus was just what I expected, they have no intention of selling WW props because they are too expensive and a "niche market", so the discount won't apply.

I keep hoping to find another group buy on WW props on this site. I wasn't ready when they had the last one but I am now (and I have cash n hand).

Last edited:
Contact American Propeller, they were responsible for the last group buy. Outstanding service. Ask for Bob Honig or Keith(i think). I think they sold something like 70 props during the last group buy in 2009.

Brian, Thanks. I called Kevin (not Keith) and chatted some with him. He said Bob Honig is interested in doing another group buy, provided there is interest out there. It is by no means a certainty that this will happen.

Now before DR or one of the moderators feels the need to remind me of the group buy rules, I specifically told Kevin that I was simply letting him know there was "some interest" out there for another group buy of the WW props. If they wanted to offer a group buy, they need to make the arrangements with Doug Reeves, and that I am bowing out.

If the group buy happens, it will have to be based on an agreement among Ameritech, Whirlwind, and Doug Reeves. I understand Doug's rule, the reason for it seems rational and reasonable, and I'll abide by it. Letting Ameritech know of interest in a group buy doesn't seem to violate the rule

What was the group price, and was it the 200RV? Pm if need be, I may be interested.

There was a website floating around, where someone did a really good comparison on props to the WW, anyone know where the link is? Curious what the performance gains are over a Hartzel BA.

I don't see the thread from the last WW group buy but my recollection was they had a sliding scale discount - the more props that were sold, the better the price. Kevin told me they sold 73 props, and he said that without hesitation - which suggests to me it was memorable in a pretty good way. Also, as I recall, you could order any WW prop. I too am interested in the WW200.

Now what happened before doesn't necessitate what will happen this time - or even if there is another WW group buy.

Downside of not using new propellor for long duration

Hi Robert,

I would caution purchasing a WW200RV prop if you're still some time out from completing your project. I have just removed my prop for inspection (new seals etc) after just 30hours on my RV-7A. I had purchased the prop some 5 plus years ago and not used until first flight back on the 15th of July 2011. (Stored in original box in lounge of home) I love the performance and look of the WW200RV though sadly right around 8 hours, I noted small grease spots and streaks on my canopy. Closer investigation revealed it was coming from the blade / hub end of my prop. After contacting WW, they indicated it may stop after a few more hours though with 30 hours up it was not reducing. Long story short, WW200RV props are 600hrs or 5 years TBO. If you don't use it soon after purchasing, chances are you may then need to have it stripped and new gaskets installed as I have just done. :(

Hope this helps, Greg (IOF-360 RV-7A, WW200RV)

Prop

I'm actually thinking of a ground adjustable. I don't remember the details of the first group buy. Maybe a ground adjustable wasn't an option as part of that purchase. Does anyone know what the approximate prices are for the constant speed and the ground adjustable.

I assume the 5 year overhaul is not applicable to the ground adjustable. Anyone know?

Cost for new seals $

Cost to have my hub inspected/cleaned and new seals installed AUS$600 (same in US$ with current exchange rate parity)

Cheers, Greg

long term storage

I had the same experience when I got a good price on a WW200RV and it sat for 4 years. Grease leak at low hours followed by the need for a reseal job. I think there is a way of ordering it for long term storage...you'll need to check with WW.

Jeremy Constant

Whats the real world cost of installing this Prop?

Gov+Prop+anything extra = $$$???

Thanks for the info in advance.

Scott

Whats the real world cost of installing this Prop?

Gov+Prop+anything extra = $$$???

Thanks for the info in advance.

Scott

The Whirlwind website lists the RV 200 at 8665 for the prop and 1275 for the governor. $9,940

Late Reply

Just wanted to throw my name in the hat as a confirmed buyer if a group buy comes about.

I missed the last one a few years ago, and am now at the perfect point in my build for a new WW prop.

Thx

another reply

Count me in. I am scheduled to travel to the WW factory in Austinburg, OH mid-Feb to have a look at what they do.

Sig, you may need to ask what the performance PENALTY is with a WW prop. In my -10, no other prop is faster than the blended airfoil Hartzell...so far.

Best,

That seems to be the consensus from my research so far. Plus it's about $2K cheaper.

That seems to be the consensus from my research so far. Plus it's about $2K cheaper.

I need the WW because of the light weight, in a 9A with a heavier engine up front. I want the CS prop but I have to deal with the weight penalty, it's a tradeoff of pounds versus dollars.

Vetterman site

The Vetterman site has a pretty good comparison between the props. It came out almost identical. Anyone who says nothing beats their prop better have tried both on the same aircraft because if not its pretty much the same as saying my girlfriends better lookin than yours, you may believe it to be true from the bottom of your heart but it doesn't mean it is

Im a believer!!!!!

The Vetterman site has a pretty good comparison between the props. It came out almost identical. Anyone who says nothing beats their prop better have tried both on the same aircraft because if not its pretty much the same as saying my girlfriends better lookin than yours, you may believe it to be true from the bottom of your heart but it doesn't mean it is

Well I think my WW 200RV prop on my plane is superior in every way, but, that is what I am supposed to think, Right? By the way, I also am quite sure my girlfriends better lookin than yours! Please let me know your thoughts, as I am sure you will agree.:rolleyes:Regards, Allan
TheGal.jpg

Back