What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Time Builder - Many Questions

Jwhallon

I'm New Here
First time to the forum! After going through a long list of possible airplanes this month, I've decided to go with the RV-8. Before I start buying anything I was wonder what you guys recommend to do before getting started.

What I have: My friend Jeff just finished his RV-8A (N888JM) and is offering to coach me through the build, use some of his tools to get started and his hangar space (initially). Very generous indeed!

What I'm looking for initially:
VFR -Night.
200 HP Aero-Sport with C/S 3 Blade Prop.
ShowPlanes FastBack canopy.
ShowPlanes RV-8 Cowling
Traditional "steam gauge" instruments with glass or electronic EMS system. (Nothing too fancy though)
2 Axis A/P.

Later on: Matching seats/hooker harness with paint job.
Rear rudder pedals with limited instruments (AS/alt ect).
Rear heat improvement.

Would love to hear what you think.

Jess

Quick Reply:
Rear rudder pedals with limited instruments (AS/alt ect).
Don't bother with the insts. Configure the front panel so the required insts can be seen from the rear.
Rear heat improvement
Good luck! Best work on some warm weather clothing and reducing air leaks (canopy, wings) rather than any detailed engineering work.

200 HP Aero-Sport with C/S 3 Blade Prop
Need the extra 20HP to make up for the slower 3 blade prop? :D

What we were told, and was the best advice ever - build according to the plans as far as possible - it will save much time / many $$. The "out of the box" RV-8 is a great aircraft, and needs few mods. Secondly, think weight at every step - really justify every extra lb you put in - the lighter the aircraft, the far nicer the handling ;)

Andy & Ellie Hill
RV-8 G-HILZ
RV-3B G-HILI very slow build
RV8tors

What is the mission

Without knowing the mission of your aircraft the only thing anyone can say is "yeah you can do all of that if you really want" (other than the rudder peddles in the back seat, I think that is do able but doesn't work that well at all, search the forum for people that have done it.)

If Its going to be an aerobatic aircraft and you only want VFR-night because you may being doing things at dusk then that is a completely different mission to an aerobat that you tour the country side with your partner.(Wives do not like to sit in the back staring at the back of your head for hours on end.)

Describe what you want to achieve and people who have done your mission will reply and tell you what their experience was. That is the best way to use this forum, oh and don't take what any single person says too literally, sometimes you need to look into what someone says before you make a decision on it.

Good luck with your build and welcome to VAF :)

Skip the instruments in the back and pick up a Garmin 396 used to mount back there. They are cheap now. It has a instrument panel display plus lets the person in back track where they are going. Make sure key instruments can be seen from the back seat to the panel. I would however consider a basic glass panel instead of round dials. A Dynon D10A or D100 is a great piece of gear at a excellent price point. Probably lighter and perhaps cheaper then round dials.

George

My question is why the traditional steam guages? EFIS systems have become so cheap, so capable, and so reliable, why do yourself the injustice? Installing a tradtional six pack is SOOOO much more work than just running everything to one magic box and installing one or two screens. You can also just add a screen in the back seat for instrumentation without pulling your hair out trying to plumb round dials.
Where's Ken? He's got a 7" Dynon Skyview in the back seat of his 8.

For the three blade prop, while I think they look really cool sitting on the ground, they cost more and there's no real bonus in performance. A standard 8 with a 160 or 180 HP engine and a good two blade is already going to outperform 90% of GA single engine airplanes already.

Yep

....what SIG said.

Glass is much lighter and simpler...no vacuum pump either. You said 'VFR' so no backups are needed either.

Best,

As a pilot who's also an RV-8 backseater, I agree with the statements about putting the instruments up front in a position where the backseater can see them. A simple glass EFIS primary flight display with a backup analog airspeed and maybe altimeter on the left side would be all you need. I use a Motorola Xoom tablet on a kneeboard in the back seat with the Naviator app (GPS moving map) for navigation. It's much simpler than trying to fit a GPS in the back, and MUCH nicer than fighting with paper sectionals! The 8 is a big airplane, but there still ain't much room back there!

Welcome to VAF! ;)

oh and don't take what any single person says too literally, sometimes you need to look into what someone says before you make a decision on it.

Welcome Jess, dont let this forum keep you from building the airplane that 'YOU' want. Take the comments you get under advisement of course, but at the end of the day...its your call, your airplane....just be safe and responsible with your decisions. There are some builders that will **** on every idea that you come up with that isnt 'stock'. Good thing the Wright brothers didnt follow that script or we'd all still be riding bicycles. Some great ideas have come from builders that went before us and didnt build it 'out of the box'. Best of luck...

Welcome to VAF!!!!

First time to the forum!
Jess

Jess, welcome aboard VAF.:D

I think your pick of airplane specs is just fine, in fact, I want to build one almost exactly as you list.

I would throw in the Grove airfoil landing gear.

For instruments, go glass for weight, and cost.

Open mind

Probably the first thing is to keep an open mind and learn from others. Start with evaluating other RV's. Have you tried a 7 or other side by side? There are distinct advantages to both.

I have to agree with Sig on this one. Why would you build and not consider a modern, up to date panel? Kind of like having a new Porsche with a cassette player. :D

Jess,
Welcome aboard! This is a great place to get ideas and advice. When I built my -8, I spent many hours combing this site for advice. The only recommendations I can give you after flying an -8 for 100 hours is to build it like you want it and spend the money for a Grove Airfoil Landing Gear. Also, I might add that at 8,500', full throttle, 2,450 RPM, 8.7 GPH and 50 ROP, I get 174KTAS out of my IO-360 with a blended airfoil two blade prop. Pretty **** cool! Speaking of cool, I put a set of louvers on each side of the cowl and I think this has really helped the cooling (CHT's in the 360's). Finally, just keep pounding rivets. There is not an individual on this site who can put into words how awesome it is to fly an RV. Good Luck!!

Back