What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us a pic of your FINISHED RV-8/8A!!!

Paint numbers

Following is a picture of the RV-8 I just finished. It was a six year project and the airworthiness certificate was issued on 5/28 and first flight was 5/31. The plane is an absolute joy to fly.

It has an IO-360 parallel valve engine, GRT screens, Garmin GNS-650 GPS, Navworks ADS-B, PMA 9000EX audio, Garmin 327 transponder, and a Garmin SL-40 second radio. Am posting a picture of the cockpit on the RV-8 instrument panel link. Dave

Dave... could you supply us with your blue and silver paint numbers?

Don

Following is a picture of the RV-8 I just finished. It was a six year project and the airworthiness certificate was issued on 5/28 and first flight was 5/31. The plane is an absolute joy to fly.

It has an IO-360 parallel valve engine, GRT screens, Garmin GNS-650 GPS, Navworks ADS-B, PMA 9000EX audio, Garmin 327 transponder, and a Garmin SL-40 second radio. Am posting a picture of the cockpit on the RV-8 instrument panel link. Dave

Congrats, Dave! Can't wait to see it in person. Guess I'll have to fly down sometime.

BTW, whose checkerboard-nosed RV-8 is that in the hangar in the background?

Again, congratulations!

Thanks Don

That's Wayne McMaster's RV-7 in the hangar. It's very nice indeed. Dave

Finished 8's

Very Nice John and DB8! Great looking planes! I hope to join your ranks in the fall.

Last edited:
Aluminium Lady is OK for first flight!

Today, French DGAC has visited "Aluminium Lady" for her last check, final
dsc02351w.jpg
[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]Airworthiness Certificate will be issued after 15h of flight and 50 landing, according to French Homebuilt regulation.
I'm waiting for a " Laisser Passer" in my Postmail box, may be I will make the first fly on Sunday...

After six years and 1,500 hours of construction, N665HM flew from KFFC on Sunday morning, June 26th. The engine came from Van?s and is the YO-360-A1A / Sensenich FP combination. The panel is basic day/night VFR with Dynon 180, Garmin GTX 327, SL40 and Area 510. Empty weight of 1,058# and it flys like a dream. Special thanks to the Peachtree City RV Squadron for their expert advice as I finished the project and especially to my wife who parked in the driveway for five years. We both now have something to grin about!

First flight on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qjy97h298Q

Great

first landing Hank. Nice video to memorialize your dream come true.
Hopefully, I'll have mine flying before the end of the year.
Congrats.
Steve

It has an IO-360 parallel valve engine, GRT screens, Garmin GNS-650 GPS, Navworks ADS-B, PMA 9000EX audio, Garmin 327 transponder, and a Garmin SL-40 second radio. Am posting a picture of the cockpit on the RV-8 instrument panel link.

what kind of canopy are you using? it seems different than the others Ive seen.

Canopy

It's a standard Vans canopy and a "flat wrap" front windshield from Airplane Plastics (or Aircraft Plastics?) out of Ohio. Dave

"Aluminium Lady" F-PREM First Flight

This week, Aluminium Lady took air for the first time in South East of Paris, France ( LFAI)
This amazing aircraft is very fast and easy to fly

O360A3A
FP MT propeller
150 kt at 2400 RPM, 21 in MAP

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Great looking airplane, Remy! You're going to have some wonderful experiences in it.

I think I've been to your field and as I remember, it seemed a terrific place to fly from---is there a big soaring operation there? If there is, it's probably the location I've been to.

Enjoy!

Lee...

Thanks to all of you guys!! OSH is a little far from here, but...by the way, we are organizing the first RV meeting in Argentina, it will be in the Airshow of Pergamino city, september 30th to october 2th, we think there are more than 20 RVs in the country and counting!!

Thanks to all of you guys!! OSH is a little far from here, but...by the way, we are organizing the first RV meeting in Argentina, it will be in the Airshow of Pergamino city, september 30th to october 2th, we think there are more than 20 RVs in the country and counting!!

Hola Juan,

You should invite your RV folks from Chile:D

Por supuesto Fernando que estas invitado, seria maravilloso que pudieras venir, hay un festival muy grande en pergamino, se llama Pergamino Vuela ( buscalo en Facebook) y estamos pensando en juntarnos todos ah?, quiz?s el jueves 29, te mantengo al tanto, un abrazo

RV8 EC-XFU from Spain

This is my RV8 built in Spain. It has now almost 50 h. I would like to thank "Delta Romeo" for this forum and all the builders that participate on it. It would be much more difficult for builder that are 4.000 miles away without this very useful forum.
I installed a Mattituck IOF?360 Fadec, Hartzell CS ,with EFIS BM G4 Sport.

RV8%20070.jpg

RV8_vuel3.jpg

RV8_vuel1.jpg

Here's one photo I took at Oshkosh 2011 of your plane! http://www.flickr.com/photos/pilotianphotos/6012454881/in/photostream

I took some of you plane cause I loved the paint job!:D

Thanks Ian. Nice photo. You've got some great pics and a talent for photography. I look forward to your progress on your plane. Glad you enjoy the scheme.

Chris

P.S. My Mom was furious, too when I bought of set of plans for an RV3 when I was in college. Took me a few years :) to get around to building, but finally did. You'll be glad you did too.

Last edited:
Thanks Ian. Nice photo. You've got some great pics and a talent for photography. I look forward to your progress on your plane. Glad you enjoy the scheme.

Chris

P.S. My Mom was furious, too when I bought of set of plans for an RV3 when I was in college. Took me a few years :) to get around to building, but finally did. You'll be glad you did too.

Thanks for the positive feedback! I appreciate it, I work hard on editing photos. And yes please dont be shy to read my blog and hope to see you around the forums! I know Ill be using these alot seeing as I am getting a empanage kit in about a week!!!!!!!!!!

RV8

You are going to love the 8 and it can be an airplane to keep for a lifetime if you want it to be. I have been flying since I was 12 and got all my licenses when I was of age s.m.e.l. and wish I would have had one of these back then. I would still be flying it for sure. good luck with your build and there is a lot of help on these forums.

bird

You are going to love the 8 and it can be an airplane to keep for a lifetime if you want it to be. I have been flying since I was 12 and got all my licenses when I was of age s.m.e.l. and wish I would have had one of these back then. I would still be flying it for sure. good luck with your build and there is a lot of help on these forums.

bird

Thank You I appreciate it!!! I have never seen such a close knit network of people wanting to help each other out on a task! This forum isnt just a webpage, its a family!

Last edited by a moderator:
! I have never seen such a close knit network of people wanting to help each other out on a task! This forum isnt just a webpage, its a family!

You got that right:D, stick around here for awhile, and you will see a lot of "family" activity.

1st flight

Flew my -8 for the first time Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjVhXyB4M0

The first flight was incredible. With half fuel, solo, and temps in the low 70s it launched off the runway in just a few hundred feet. My chase pilot, flying a 2-up RV-4, was pedaling to catch up. I flew it overhead for .5 before recovering back to the home field. The only squawks are a dead hobbs meter, a slightly heavy left wing, and my oil door popped up on the climb.
The airplane handles like a dream and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks to Jim Baldwin for his tech counselor and flight advisor assistance! Thanks to Rick Blaes for flying chase in his -4 and Mike Cencula for the video work from the back seat. Others who have helped along the way, My family (both here in Ohio and in Oklahoma), Greg Schroeder, Jeff Doran, Matt Koenig and his family, Steve at Lane Aviation, Jim Brewer, Vans, the boys at VAF.net (of course!) and many others that helped directly and indirectly or inspired me to do this.

I started the kit in Oct 5th, 2006 (4 year and 10 months) and I spent 2425 hours completing it.

FP14082011A00024.jpg

FP14082011A00021.jpg

FP14082011A0001Y.jpg

Brilliant job Brent, it turned out great!

I have been a follower of your build for the last couple years, thanks for sharing your progress and now victory.

You da man!

N number placement

Brent, congrats! One thing to keep in mind, your Registration number can't legally be under your Horizontal stab. It's where I initially wanted to put mine but my painter wouldn't do it and sent me the actual FAR text (I didn't save the email) that governed the registration size and location. If you want to keep it below the level of the H stab then the final character has to end before the H stab begins.

Happy but thorough Phase 1 and enjoy the plane!

Brent, congrats! One thing to keep in mind, your Registration number can't legally be under your Horizontal stab. It's where I initially wanted to put mine but my painter wouldn't do it and sent me the actual FAR text (I didn't save the email) that governed the registration size and location. If you want to keep it below the level of the H stab then the final character has to end before the H stab begins.

Happy but thorough Phase 1 and enjoy the plane!

Thanks Lucky!

I actually realized that just after I put the graphics on - rats :(. I'm going to order some new numbers from Vince and fix all that at some point.
Regards,

Really like it as well! You thought outside of the box with your green color which makes it really cool!:D

Back